1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cassell to Minnesota

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Baqui99, Jun 27, 2003.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TheFreak-Joe Smith would not start over Griffin or Taylor. The guy put up 7.5-5 last year.

See, I could even understand doing this after Payton was signed (by all accounts, Milwaukee plans to try everything to retain him).

But this is or Joe Smith and a cap filler. TJ Ford is starter ready IMO, but at the very least they need a steady mate for him. If Payton leaves, that's putting Ford right into the fire without a veteran anywhere near him-that's a less than ideal situation.

Ford-Redd-Mason has the potential to be a good 1-2-3, especially if Tim Thomas starts fulfilling his contract/potential. Haislip has some good potential at the 4 slot as well, and with some luck, Pryzbilla and/or Gadzuric may eventually reach the level of "serviceable".

The Bucks didn't get a real piece for their team in Joe Smith. He doesn't play ahead of Mason, maybe not ahead of Kukoc at the 4, and if the Bucks want a youth movement, they should give some minutes to Haislip. They would've been better off holding onto Cassell until they at least sign Payton (which won't happen, IMO), or using him as the veteran in the backcourt to give at least the appearance of stability.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is not really true...although I do think they could have gotten more for Cassell.

If they keep Payton, here's what happened:

Robinson
    Allen
    Cassell

for

Payton
    Mason
    Joe Smith
    Peeler
    Kukoc
    TJ Ford

TJ Ford was the pick they got in the Robinson trade.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, in 20 minutes. I think the guy is hands-down better than Griffin. I don't see how that can be argued. I think he's better than the Mo of last year too. Now Mo before the injury, that's a different story.

4. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Why could no one on this board understand that the Bucks did this trade for luxury tax purpose (i.e. avoiding it)? Peeler's contract could immediately come off the book. Hence the talent differential in this trade.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hands down, that's ridiculous, Griffin only averaged 4 more minutes a game and pulled down more rebounds. And I'm not an Eddie defender because I acknowledge his lack of passion but even sleeping walking he put up better numbers than Smith playing only a few more minutes. Oh yeah, he's about 7 years younger.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who cares if he's younger...we're talking about who's better right now, not in the future. 1 more rebound in extra minutes isn't a big deal. Especially when you consider defense and shooting percentage.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The numbers don't prove Smith plays better defense. If he played such great D why didn't he play more against the Lakers. Eddie actually did a good job helping out on Shaq for a couple of games. There is nothing that proves Smith is better than Griffin right now, and he's 7 years younger.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TheFreak- It can be very easily argued. Griffin put up 9-6 in ~24 minutes. More points, more rebs, more blocks, in about 4 extra minutes. I'm not sure where Smith is hands down a better player than Griffin right now.

Add in the fact of Griffin's growth potential...Smith would not be starting on this team. Even if you want to argue that Smith is better right now (which I don't think he is), it's not by much, and Griffin would be playing starting ahead of him based on the likelihood of improving. Just like he started last year even when Mo Taylor was hot.

Bottom line is: Joe Smith does not start on the Rockets.