1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Case to Trade up for Tari Eason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 19, 2022.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

In Adam Spinella's latest mock draft he has Eason falling due to 1. His inability to go left and 2. his lack of bball iq and instincts.

That made me worry he was the next Stromile Swift. But I went and watched some interviews with him and he appears to be a very sharp kid. Stromile was very obviously Slomile.

I guess we'll see what Stone thinks if he falls to 17. I'm definitely intrigues by the athleticism and the measurables.

red5rocket, Deckard, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. j@amc

j@amc Member

Sochan might be a little steadier on the offensive end, but I'm not sure he is the same kind of creator/initiator that Eason is. But Sochan looked solid on a very good team in which he didn't have to provide any perimeter play. Baylor had other guys to do all of that.

Maybe the scouts will rank Sochan ahead of Eason since Eason was a bit more over-aggressive (careless) with the ball. In my mind, if Sochan stays on the board past #10--because teams are hunting for shooting--it becomes at least possible for Eason to drop down the board as well.

Still seems to me that the Rockets at #17 are picking between Dieng (if he falls) Jovic, M. Beauchamp, or Jalen Williams. I see the mock drafts that have TyTy Washington. Someone will have to explain that one to me since we have Nix.

saleem likes this.
  4. MystikArkitect

Basically bigger, stronger, better Jaesean Tate that doesn't vomit all over himself when leading a fast break.

I would not mind trading up for this kid at all. He's not the pest that Sochan is but has a knack for steals and finishing in transition. Green blazing down court after a steal (or a Paolo rebound)? Yes please.

Milos, Deuce, saleem and 2 others like this.
  5. j@amc

j@amc Member

Spinella has the Rockets taking the very skilled Dieng at #17 with Eason falling to Philadelphia #23. This mock also has Jaden Hardy going to #15. Spinella really values all the wings, guards, and shooting. . . I suppose it's possible that Duren is the first big off the board at #13, but Mark Williams at #18 to Chicago? That would mean we really are in a new era.

I think if the Rockets are having to pick between Dieng or Eason that's a good problem to have.

red5rocket, Deuce, Williamson and 2 others like this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If Dieng is there at 17, that's a no brainer to me.

Unless for some reason the Rockets trade down I've ruled out Eason as a guy I would take at 17 or higher.

His funky shot, not being able to go left and poor on court iq put me off.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dieng seems to have better awareness and his jump shot/ passing are very good. His problem is his inability to handle physical contact. We don't need another Bruno Caboclo.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The value of wings and long, athletic forwards who can defend and score are tantalising.

9. raining threes

They're looking fora 6'7, 6'9 forward that can make 3's and provide weakside shot blocking. If he can play on ball defense that's even better. Ariza wasn't some kind of great ball handler.

Thing I dont know about is Eason's BB IQ. Ariza was has a great BB IQ. I haven't seen anything that makes me think Eason has a low BB IQ, but there are far more knowledgeable posters on this subject than me and I would like to hear their thoughts.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Bruno had far more issues than not handling contact well imo. Dude could shoot a little bit but just overall wasn't all that skilled.

Dieng is skilled up.

And he has shown good defense too.

If Eason didn't have that funky shot and was a knockdown catch and shoot guy I could overlook the questionable decions and inability to drive left.

Not to say Dieng or a Sochan or even a Dyson Daniels don't have faults but I can more clearly see their path to contributing minutes on a winning team.

Even if his defense translates which it probably will, I just have other guys a bit higher for one reason or another.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Watch full games.

Eason actually took over games for LSU, offensively and/or defensively.

Dieng really did not, especially early in season where he'd just disappear.

His biggest red flag is his inconsistency, being underweight is fixable imo.

Never mind his poor 3P% or being contact shy.

Has a lot of great PG traits for his size including lateral agility but there is no dog in him.

saleem and Milos like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I've seen a lot of both of them and the way Eason "took over games" I don't think will translate as well to the NBA.

I mentioned two other guys besides Dieng, but regarding him specifically I like his skillet more than I like Eason's. I didn't mention productivity because that wasn't a part of the reason why I have one above the other.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

So let me get this straight.

You want to draft a guy with defensive effort and focus issues at #3 then draft a guy who avoids contact like the plague with #17?

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/ousmane-diengs-perimeter-defense?s=r

You are advocating Rockets actually get WORSE than the historically bad defense from last season?

Seriously, watch some full games.

Dieng is a full blown project and shot up boards because he ended the last 11 games with surprising production, but highlights are skewing analysis making him seem like he has consistent or reliable eye popping ability.

6'10 with 7'0 wingspan with a soft 215 lb build and even softer game.

6'10 and only averaged 2 REB. Even during 11 game finish that had everyone's pantaloons at full sail, he only averaged 4.4 REB.

His guard skills will flash but averaged less than 1 AST????

27% 3P????

.398 FG% and .667 FT% is utter garbage for a player with guard skills.

Tate was a better player than Dieng in same Aussie league and 3× the player right now.

And Eason is 6'8 Tate with a 3ball and 7'2 wingspan and is aggressive and physical AF on both sides of the ball. Eason plays like his hair's on fire, plays above the rim (ridiculous to compare the verticality between the two) and put up historically good BLK and STL % and won SEC 6th MOY, All SEC 1st Team and Finalist for DPOY.

CF always does this, they get enamored with potential and nitpick the actual highly even historically productive and efficient players.

Unique players like Chet, Jabari, Paolo and yes, Tari.

Just because Dieng is 18 and Tari is 21? You note the minor red flags on Eason but the blaring fire alarm sirens and strobes for Dieng do not phase you a bit?

Dieng is 3 years away from being 3 years away - remember that quote?

Everything about Dieng is upside this and upside that because he's not good at anything yet.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2022/6/1/23148941/2022-nba-draft-profile-ousmane-dieng-scouting-report

https://theboxandone.substack.com/p...ck&utm_campaign=post_embed&utm_medium=web&s=r

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not sure why you brought up Banchero. Also not sure why you don't take others opinions well.

I've got one.

Yes, I like Diengs upside and I disagree that he's not good at anything yet. He's good at a lot of things already. You keep going back to production and I clearly said that has nothing to do with my opinion. I watched them and I like one better than the other. Get over yourself. Also, you keep harping on Dieng when he was one of three wings I said I'd rather have.

Also, what I'm not going to do is get into some long drawn out back and forth. I'll give my takes and move on because nothing you or I say affects what they are actually going to do. I've stated my opinion, do with it what you will.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

If you can't or unwilling to defend your take then there's nothing to discuss.

2022 and 2023 will be Rockets last best chance to rebuild through the draft until 2026.

Every FRP counts.

Wasting our limited assets and window by over drafting a long range project is irresponsible.

groovemachine likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If Eason is at #17 you draft him no question. I think the Bulls grab him at #18 if we don't pick him.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I’ve already given my reasons why I have one above the other. What I said is I’m not going to get into some long back and forth with you. I’m cool with agreeing to disagree and seeing where things fall in the future. You have some need to lawyer things out and bang away at something you nor I have control over. We are not the same. I give my take and opinion and keep on moving. “Winning” internet takes is not something I care about, so you are right about one thing…we have nothing to discuss. I’ll leave it there.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm avoiding AJG like the plague. To many questionmarks to be drafting him top 10.

Eason I'm all in on acquiring.

Too many players, not enough roster spots, its time to consolidate some of these assets. Eason is the talent I do it for.

D-rock, Mr.Scary, Milos and 1 other person like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree, too many players and not enough minutes to develop all of them.

The vets need to go.

Move up with package of picks/players and get the guys we really covet and stop jacking around.

saleem likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Per Feigan, Rockets view Nix as a top 10 pick.

j@amc and Glenyo like this.