1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Kentucky misused the hell out of their guards. Calipari really was clueless.

Dude could have had one of the most effective 3 guard rotations college basketball has seen.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's why they ran him out of town

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Here’s a good example of why Reeds on court impact is so positive. Just makes the right play every time. Nothing flashy.

this tape is also a good example of just how good a passer he is. Especially the look ahead pass. He does that as good as any prospect I can remember. For all those clamoring for more pace and fast breaks he will get that started for sure.

#2343 JayZ750, Jun 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
  4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

They picked Bronny's team apart. It's really fun to watch a team operate so well

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Yeah … I get all the reasons his ceiling might be limited.

but to get the shooting AND the incredibly high iq ball and player movement inherent bball knowledge to a team that has made VAST improvements in that regard the last year via Amen and FVV in addition to Alpi, but still needs more of it….

its just gonna make them all better.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IF we take him, so do i.

cml750 likes this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

The kids b-ball IQ is off the charts which is why I have no doubt he will succeed. He just makes good decisions on the court. He may never be Curry or Stockton but he will have a very successful career in the NBA, I hope with the Rockets. He is the PERFECT fit for this team and will no doubt be a good player with a very high floor and a chance of being a really special player if he reaches his lofty ceiling.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

K know this isn't true because I dont even know what extrapolate means. So for you to extrapolate anything like that from my comments is not possible.

Extrapolate.

cml750 likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol

coachbadlee and cml750 like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Using 2 more ratchet straps on the back of your truck/trailer holding down a load, 2 more than you need

= Extrapolate

coachbadlee and cml750 like this.
  12. PeppermintCandy

His decision making is really quick. Doesn't do a lot of hesitating once he gets the ball, be it passing or putting up a shot.
    If he can sustain this at the NBA level, it would put a lot of pressure on the opposing defense.

That said, these are skills that would make him an effective combo guard more than a point guard.
    Of course, that's not to say he won't develop to add more traditional point guard skills, too.

And with his current skills, I can imagine him being pretty effective as a guard tandem with Jalen Green, who thrives with the ball in his hand. At least on the offensive end.

#2352 PeppermintCandy, Jun 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

I think Reed is the perfect complement to Amen Thompson in the backcourt.

I do NOT think he is the perfect fit for Jalen Green. I am very curious about what Ime Udoka thinks about Jalen Green. Are we going to get a 25ppg DAWG season from JG? Or will we get months upon months of the worst SG in the NBA, again? Still have a fool's hope for Jalen, but a Reed pick would be a strong JG hedge...

joshuaao, Rudyc281 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Sheppard pans out he’s a better fit with Jalen than Amen. Safe with the ball, high effort defense and catch and shoot? That’s perfect for Jalen who was stealing shots from FVV in the final months. Sheppard is like FVV minus the high usage, way more off ball. Amen has to be able to shoot in order to keep the paint unpacked for Jalen to knife through.

Amen, Sheppard and all our forwards can’t self create in volume, so that lineup would be one of the worst offenses in the NBA with Sengun having to carry a Jokic-level burden too.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

I think Reed fits with anyone on the team. Anyone with that high of b-ball IQ will make it work and find a way to shine in whatever role he is given. I can see him becoming an Udoka favorite.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5579738/2024/06/23/nba-draft-confidential-guards-2024/

Reed Sheppard | 6-2 guard | 20 years old | Kentucky
    Eastern Conference executive No. 3:
    He can playmake enough, as much as T.J. McConnell can. ‘Cause you’ve got to honor his jump shot. You’ve got to at least come out and guard him, and that’s going to open the floor up. A shot fake, he can put it on the floor, and he can pass it. And he played well in big games. That bodes well.

Western Conference executive No. 1: Sheppard, he fits everywhere. Because he can pass, he can dribble, he can shoot. And if you have those three things every single night, which he’ll do, he can fluctuate. Tonight, I don’t need to shoot and score it as much; I’m going to facilitate and pass it. I’m going to get us into our stuff.

Teams are going to test him. They’re going to go at him. He blends in nice and easy, not a lot of fanfare. But you pick up the stat sheet, he had 14 or 16 (points), four or five rebounds, seven or eight assists, and he just walks out of the arena, and no one knows who he is.

Eastern Conference executive No. 1: Elite shooter. Somebody mentioned he had a workout similar to what JJ Redick had coming out. He will be a point guard. He’ll be like Steph (Curry) was when he first came in; he played more on the ball than he does now. He has to improve his ballhandling. He has to learn the intricacies of pick and roll.

Great steal rate and quick hands, but most of that is coming off ball, not on ball. I think he’s going to struggle guarding point guards when he’s out on the island. He’s going to struggle, also, in pick and roll defense. But, he will win NBA 3-point shooting contests. Shooting and IQ will keep him on the floor. Depending on where he goes, the coaches will figure out what they can do to help him defensively. His height is his height. He’s close to what Kentucky had him. His wingspan is just a plus-two.

Eastern Conference executive No. 2: He’s a very good player. He’s like (Zaccharie) Risacher. I’d love to have him. But as a top five to 10 pick? I don’t think he’s a lock to be a starter in the NBA. He might be, because he’s very good. But he’s not a true point. He’s a little undersized. He shoots the s— out of it. He does everything well, but I don’t know if he’s great at anything.

I think (Arkansas transfer) D.J. Wagner, if he has a good year next year, will be better than both of them (Rob Dillingham and Sheppard). If he goes to the right place and they put him in to score quick points, he’ll probably be pretty good. It depends.

College head coach No. 1 (his team played Kentucky): As good of a pure shooter as there was in college this year. Willing passer. Understands the offensive side of the game. Makes the right play. Unselfish. Defensively, he has a knack of anticipating passes and being able to jump passing lanes. Below average defender. Really struggled to keep good offensive players in front of him.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Lol the guy the lowest on him still has DJ Wagner as a better prospect. That guys dad probably thought Dajuan Wagner was going to be the next MJ, too

cml750, Rudyc281 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#2359 zeeshan2, Jun 23, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

A guy who can shoot and handle and pass the ball reasonably well but doesn't need to have the ball in his hands can fit anywhere.

If we draft Sheppard, the burden of fit will be on Jalen. If he elevates to elite scorer-creator level, Sheppard will be a great complement. If he reverts back to his inefficient chucker mode, he won't fit any starting lineup.

As for Amen, whether he will be a PG or a forward depends on whether he will be able to shoot from outside or not. If he can, hell be a good PG playing alongside a shooter like Reed. If he can't he'll play where he was last season, at the dunker spot.