1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

I couldn’t find anything on Scola from when he was 18, but as a 21 year old he put up 8 points 4 rebounds 0.7 assists 1 steal 0.1 blocks in 18 minutes in the Euroleague. While Euroleague is higher competition than the Turkish league, the numbers are not particularly close.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I’m talking style of play and how it will translate. Scola was a master of footwork down low and had a myriad of shots close in.

If Scola is his floor, that’s not a bad thing at all.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

There are zero "complete" players in this draft.

You can say this about 99.99% of any draft.

hakeem94 and raining threes like this.
  4. anchel

anchel Member

Sadly, Scola couldn't play in todays NBA...

5. raining threes

LMAO

If a guy like Lauri or Thaddues can play in the NBA, then so could Scola.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

The prospects with the most advanced, most complete, offensive skillset in this draft are Cam Thomas and Alperen Sengun.

Without a doubt.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

The footwork is reminiscent of Scola. Scola had a money mid range too which Sengun has yet to show, but he does shoot 80% from the line so it’s in there. Sengun is bigger and longer and more athletic, and has shown much better rim protection which was Scola’s Achilles heel. He also looks like a much better passer which is important to pair with high level low post skills - think black holes like Al Jefferson who were dominant in the post but didn’t know how to pass thus much less effective when doubled.

hakeem94, cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun has Jokic upside IMO.

Deuce and hakeem94 like this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m scared to say that out loud so I’ll just think it to myself.

Deuce, MrButtocks, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  10. raining threes

I wouldn't bet against it. He would need to improve his outside shot and his free throw % suggests that this is likely to happen with an 18 year old who appears to have a good work ethic.

The question is would you give up 24 and Tate to gamble on a guy with this upside?

Where the Rockets are as an org I would do this without a second thought.

#130 raining threes, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't be against drafting him. But I think there's a decent chance that he would be unplayable against PnR savvy teams, as they would just pick on him every time down court on defense.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes only 18 years old
    and heres what was said of DPOY draymond green:
    “Unfortunately, [21 year old prospect]’s defensive deficiencies have become even more pronounced as a senior. At 6’7, he is too small to guard elite post players, and lacks the lateral quickness to defend perimeter players, even face-up power forwards at the NCAA level. While his effort and aggressiveness will never be questioned, it is difficult to project him as an adequate NBA defender at this time.”

“Unfortunately, [20 year old prospect]’s physical limitations make it quite difficult to project him as being anything more than a liability on this end of the floor in the NBA. His lack of size means he’s quite easy to post up and just shoot over the top of even at the NCAA level, and his poor lateral quickness makes it tough to envision him being able to guard most power forwards on the perimeter or even less likely small forwards, which his height suggests he’d have to. This will be a major hurdle for [prospect] to overcome, and it’s not quite clear whether a NBA team will be able to get past this issue, despite what he contributes in various other facets of the game”

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i wouldnt give up Tate...give them something else, the players like that is just the type of players you need... tate is a diamond....

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nope.

Only because Rockets cannot afford to to give up picks in draft this deep, let alone potential starter in Tate.

But man, Sengun is tempting.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. raining threes

Tate's timeline doesn't fit the Rockets timeline.

If you feel this way about Wood, you should feel the same way about Tate.

16. raining threes

Yep, I'm for getting 3 picks out of this draft. 2 lotto type picks and 23. If I have to give up 24 and Tate to move up and get a guy I really like then I wouldn't think twice about doing this. In 2 or 3 years they can find other guys like Tate.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wasn't saying that. So why do I care if some unnamed person was saying that?

I'm saying Sengun is the prototypical guy to get picked on by a PnR scheme. Some random guy being wrong about Draymond over a decade ago has no relevance to that

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Timeline arguments are such a pain when talking about 25 year olds.

Bo6, raining threes and hakeem94 like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

does cp3 fits with phoenix( booker and ayton) timeline?
    both tate and wood have 8-10 good years in them...dont be a perfectionist ....dont throw away a diamond players just because they dont fit perfectly...

#139 hakeem94, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i dont know your name either...lololol

whatever, you coach him, then you coach him!
    hes 18 years old
    you may draft hakeem or michael jordan if you dont have nice coaches and the fine system you go nowhere anyway....

raining threes and Haymitch like this.