1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Is Dream still helping out players? Sengun is probably the first big we've had since with the footwork fundamentals to actually learn what Dream can teach, and he needs it. He has the instincts, the timing and the moves, he really does not seem to be able to finish a lot of the time though. I would pay Dream whatever it took to have Sengun doing hours in the gym learning how to refine that raw talent he has in the post. With how little the post is used these days in the NBA, if you had a big with even a quarter of Dream's talent in the post, most teams wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to stop that man. If he got to half the ability or more? That's a big time player in the modern day if you use it right. People focus on the metagame too much, all the best strategists know that if everybody else is following a template, you switch it up on them.

Mathloom, hakeem94 and bmelo like this.
  2. DreamR

DreamR Member

This looks really familiar

Hmmm...

3. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Now that I've thought about it some more, think about Sengun's skills.

As a 19 year old:

Good but not spectacular length.
    Good but not spectacular athleticism either.
    Decent ball handling.
    Extremely high block and steal % for his size.
    Good enough court vision to make some passes and eventually run the offense for short spurts later on in his career.
    Not a great jumper right now, but a decent, if unpolished, offensive game.

This guy's the white Draymond Green, the 2016 version that could hit threes.

majicdonjuan, hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't put a ceiling on this guy. When he finds confidence in his jumper, it is a WRAP. A rare player that can become elite at literally everything with time. Comparing him to Okur and Turkoglu is a friggin joke.

5. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

What I remember the most of the 2017-18 season was when Chris Paul started running the offense through the post, a lovely wrinkle D'Antoni added around Feb/March of that year.

Lovely if our current coach was smart enough to do something like that.

hakeem94 and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Don't see it. I can't recall ever thinking Draymond had the tools to be an elite post scorer. Sengun's footwork and timing is a real throwback, which if he can develop to elite levels could make him something special.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It'd be great, all the NBA is focused on defending the 3 and switching all over the place and we start churning everything through the post, both scoring and playmaking? It'd take time for defenses to switch up tactics at the very least, if Sengun becomes all-star level it becomes a big threat.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Actually, you're correct because I was thinking of NBA.com's %stl stat, which is something different. I don't think they account for possessions (or something) which is usually around 100-110 per game, and that seems to roughly be the factor difference between the 2 stats (?), but I'm sure there's more.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

The underlined was actually the one thing I said to a friend when I was gushing over him - just wait until the game slows down for him.

He's missed some (and two big ones today) bunnies around the rim where it just seems like he's rushing it.

Both those in today's game should have been dunks - and we've seen glimpses where he does have the athletic ability to flush those.

I also think you're spot in with the Hakeem comment... after two or three offseasons with Hakeem.... Oh lord.

It's no coincidence the opposing team's commentators are always talking positively about Sengun each game. Not so much our other rookies.

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin Member

Shark44, D-rock, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I love the comparison! the most accurate one...BEAUTIFUL... just not sure if he can hit 3 at 40% like 15-16 draymond tho... on the other hand sengun has a richer repertoire of back to the basket game

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun has the potential to be what people thought Dmo would become--a mobile big who can play defense and is automatic in the post (with a good outside shot, too)

We got something special with this young man. I am certain he has the work ethic and talent to become great.

jiggyfly, D-rock, xaos and 5 others like this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Alperen needs to eat more and hit the bench

D-rock likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sengun isn’t automatic in the post currently, he’s actually struggling to finish around the rim. I was hoping it was a fluke when I saw him having troubles in summer league but his touch seems shaky. Hopefully he will improve with time, but touch around the basket is considered one of the more instinctual skills.

Nook, D-rock, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  18. dje243

dje243 Member

I think it's going to come around. So many of his misses are *this* close. I think he's getting used to the length and athleticism of the shot blockers at this level. At the very beginning it seems like he was getting blocked quite a bit but that seems to be tapering off. I think he'll adjust.

jiggyfly, Dovahkiin, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. Sengun

Sengun Member

There was a position yesterday, he did a very good spin and then instead of dunking, he went to the layup even though his front was empty. In his post-match interview yesterday, he openly stated that he is new to the league and is wary of getting blocks, especially when facing an elite defender like Gobert. It explains why he tried a layup instead of dunking. Because like each rookie, he's going to make mistakes this season and learn from his actions. Which player did you see didn't do that during his rookie season? Despite being in the league for many years, Ben Simmons chose to pass instead of dunk during a playoff game while he was open. If Sengun one day, like Simmons, plays in the league for years and still chooses to make worst one rather than dunk, then let's talk.

Decrease in his athleticism was so clear in the last two games. It's obviously fitness staff heavily loaded him. He was hesitant to shoot three-pointers in his first three games. He shot two three-pointers without hesitation in the game of Dallas and the Jazz and got two hits. Some things will get better with time. This is a simple example. These are all factors.

What people don't understand when criticizing Green and Sengun and other young players, is that this is the maximum these players can do at 19 years old. They just got out of their fifth game. Rockets not invested in the 19-year-olds version of these players. Rockets invested in the 22-23-year-olds version of these players. These players will get better in front of the fans in the next two years, a year later the real competition will begin and maybe the after that year, so four years later, the championship fight will be fought. This is the goal.

D-rock likes this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

Gordon is a walking meme

D-rock, hakeem94 and i3artow i3aller like this.