1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice... i think bobbys lenght bothered him and we didnt see almost no action in the paint..anyway hard to get any sort of rhythm playing only 14 minutes...

if he were to get Jalen Greens minutes and touches hed be mvp contender let alone ROY leader

D-rock likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

His numbers wouldn't be worse than Mobley's.

3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

14 min really weak....

he hasn't had the chance to play much with Green/KPJ and I think that is limiting his offensive potential. instead all his minutes come so far with Augustine who lets be real, isn't going to cut to the basket anytime soon or be a catch and shoot player.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I would love to be wrong. Jokic is just a massive man with like a 9'3" reach and is 280-300 lbs depending on the season.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silas, the Sengun stopper

6. Nook

Nook Member

Absolutely they can. The margin for error is really low though.

So you point to one of the 10 largest scouting misses in the last 80 years as an indication that AP is going to be that type of player? The greatest passing center in NBA history with a 9'3" standing reach and is almost 300 lbs?

If that is your expectation for AP, then you will very likely be disappointed.

FWIW I like AP, I felt he was deserving of being picked in the 6-10 range of the draft, and I was and am excited that he is a Houston Rocket.

I think he can be a starter in the right circumstance and be a very good player similar to Mehmet Okur or Turkoglu... maybe even better if he hits his stride.

However, to say he is going to be better than Doncic and Jokic like some are saying is really, really pushing it.

jiggyfly and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

In fairness, I don't know anything with absolute certainty. There is always a chance, and the fact that AP played in a league not surrounded by "one and done's" means there is a larger margin for error........ however, I will almost always take the "under" when the comparison is being better than Jokic and Doncic. Expecting a player to be as good as an MVP and a future MVP is really not fair to the player.

In the case of Jokic, he is an extreme outlier, he is one of maybe 4-5 players in the history of the NBA to improve to the degree he did and be as good as he is based on his draft position and origins.

I respect your takes as well..... and I would LOVE nothing better than to be wrong.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sengun's best skills are his face up ball handling, passing, and rebounding

Surprisingly, his touch around the rim has been mediocre, his low post moves/footwork have been not good, his ability to rise on at the rim to finish is just not there, breh can't jump.

But, dude has a super IQ for his age, plays really hard, is very young, hopefully his body can develop to become more athletic, and he can get in the lab with Hakeem to learn some foot work and post moves.

jiggyfly, D-rock and Crashlanded19 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Jokic has improved some defensively the last two years but he is still not a good defender.

Sengun is an under rated defender. When I saw him play internationally it was clear to me that he his feet were better than claimed and his ability to anticipate was highly under rated. I don't know if Sengun will only be adequate or a positive defender, but he certainly is a better defender than his reputation. Also his body will continue to improve and the Rockets have made changes in how he moves his feet - there is upside to Sengun across the board.

10. Nook

Nook Member

He is a very intuitive player, and he has soft hands.... so the ball handling, anticipation, passing and rebounding are all going to be well above average. As far as his ability to jump, he has a good vertical but he does not get off the ground fast - but he can hang in the air longer than most. That is part of why he has been effective at preventing players from scoring inside from the weak side.

He isn't going to be a Durant type shooter, he just doesn't have that type of touch - but he can be an above average perimeter shooter with practice.

His touch inside looks bad because he is rushing it and trying to get separation. He isn't used to playing against players as quick or athletic as he is playing against now... he will get better at it and will learn what he can and cannot get off inside.

jiggyfly, D-rock, yixiixiy and 3 others like this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

I made a post on his body transformation, less than 2 years ago he was legitimately overweight and could barely dunk. Check the picture and video.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/getting-to-know-alperen-sengun-your-new.312466/

D-rock and Nook like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

The one thing he is already elite at is free throw rate.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Sengun's defense, I am unsure on how well it will play with Wood. I am very leery playing another big man with Wood unless he is an elite defender. If it doesn't work out, one will need to go. From an offense standpoint, it should make the offense a lot easier if they aren't torched defensively.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's his face up ball handling that gets him into the right spots to draw fouls, not many bigs and cross you up and spin to the rim like that. Some AD/Randle work from the top of the key.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but if I could edit players, I would take a few inches and as a result 10-20 lbs off Jokic. He knows how to play defense and tries hard, but he will eternally be too slow for the perimeter.

Sengun is a better defender and I'd argue far more advanced in the post than Jokic was at 19. Way more mobile. He might not achieve Jokic's overall offensive dominance, but he can challenge Jokic on net impact.

I see him outsmarting guys same as Harden, Jokic, Doncic were able to do before the NBA and in their younger years without being athletically elite (Harden and Jokic strong though). Those guys had poor NBA bodies to start the their careers.

Everyone says it, but I believe him when he says he's about being the best and winning. He has that fury in him when things don't go well.

Telling you, watch out for this kid. I'm almost as high on Garuba, I think we nabbed two top Euro prospects.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

FWIW I don't think that Christian Wood will be a Rocket in 12 months.

jiggyfly, AroundTheWorld and marky :) like this.
  17. MystikArkitect

He was MVP of the Turkish league at 19 YO. Like Luka. Al-P at 16 will go down as one of the all time blunders for teams. He's not like Giannis who was raw as hell. Or even Jokic who also was raw as hell. If someone is dominating a foreign league at 19...they're going to hit. And Al-P is going to hit. The Rockets had stupid luck going from Harden to sucking one year and ending up with Sengun/Green. Both of these guys are special. The rest of the roster? Not so much.

D-rock, hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. j@amc

j@amc Member

I couldn't catch the Mavs game. Did Sengun place so few minutes because of matchups? Or was this simply a coaching decision?

I noticed that Sengun's defensive efficiency rate climbed quite a bit in this game which makes me think he was not all that helpful on D. That said, his numbers were almost even with Wood and Theis (who are simply poor in so many phases on D: closeouts, pressuring the ball, low post, etc.).

D-rock likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. dmoneybangbang

Just a repost from pre-draft:

jiggyfly, Dovahkiin and D-rock like this.