1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think there’s a wrong answer, just not sure how well Sengun and Wood would be defensively. I think offensively they would be perfect together, including two big men pick and roll.

D-rock and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Id do it just to trade him to a team that has tons of assets cuz if the goal is winning a ring, you can't do it with Jokic.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

bad example dude. Harden has exactly 1 MVP and we shoulda won a ring that year except for Cps injury. We did not get bounced in second round. And we lost to the greatest team of all time. Jokic got swept by the Suns....

Neither of them deserved MVP because the only reason they got it was cuz Lebron, Harden, KD, Kawhi we're injured this year. Heck even Donovan Mitchell. I still think CP3 was the real MVP this year.

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Totally false. 3s > 2s so more like he will lose 10 fold. 1 pick and roll and it's over for this dude. Why could Jokic never beat the Rockets? Harden hunted that dude. Made him look silly time and time again.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sabonis.

D-rock likes this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sengun has very low bust potential and one of the highest floors in the entire draft. The numbers he put up don’t really have a comp since they were historic, but even euros with less production became productive nba players like Valanciunas, I think he will be that at worst. The real busts like Dragan Bender, Darko etc had no production in Europe and were drafted purely on “potential”. With Sengun’s historic production, and eye test of how he got that production, at worst he will be a productive big, and his ceiling is a generational player depending on how he develops his shooting and how much of his game translates to the nba(I think it is highly transferable).

The second point is the criticism of his size. If he is really 6’9 then that would legit pose issues. I have done a lot of research on this and am not too concerned. There’s a photo on the internet of him seeing eye to eye with the 6’11 Mohmet Okur. He has had matchups with 6’10/6’11 Jonas Jerebko and Kostas Antetokounmpo and did not look a bit shorter. I’m pretty sure those 6’9 measurements are either dated or just incorrect.

D-rock, ilias, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sengun-Green-Porter-Wood

Not enough balls to go around.

Not enough stops either.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

We somehow get green and Sengun then we'll be one of the most fun teams to watch for the next 5-10 years.

9. raining threes

LMAO

10. raining threes

You do realize the Nuggets were missing their starting backcourt?

MrButtocks likes this.
  11. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a great post and completely agree with the bolded part above. Very rare for players with high production in Europe and high IQ to bust in the NBA.

Players don't bust because they're not athletic or they're short (within reason of course). They bust because they suck at basketball.

CP3 is not athletic at all right now and he's short AF, but he's doing okay. Prime Marc Gasol would still be an all star in today's league. Jokic at 2 inches shorter would still be an all star as well.

D-rock and CXbby like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I Like the guy. Offensive arsenal. Competes on D. Seems kinda plodding and slow footed to me though. Am I tripping? Can he keep up with NBA pace?

D-rock likes this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I actually have a sneaking suspicion that Sengun will be a positive on defense in the nba. Switching onto guards is never going to be a strength of his and you are probably going to have to play drop coverage with him most of the time. But otherwise, he has a high steals rate and was second in the Turkish league in blocks. He’s going to be a decent rim protector and have disruptive hands. His high iq is going to put him always in the right position even if he is not the most athletic.

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Does it matter. No one who actually watches basketball thinks the Nuggets woulda won even if healthy. Jamal Murray is a bubble star. He's never produced close to that.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed. Can't switch worth a damn but he is more than good enough in drop coverage.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fair points. I agree with very little bust potential. I liken it to someone like an Enes Kanter — productive, rotational big, with occasional for big games. At the same time, it wouldn’t shock me if the foot speed/athleticism holds him back and he’s virtually unplayable in certain matchups.

The footwork/post-game/touch around the basket is intriguing - as good as I’ve seen from a draft prospect in awhile. He could be a guy that absolutely roasts small ball.

Deckard and raining threes like this.
  17. CXbby

CXbby Member

And he’s 18. The skill level is mind blowing for his age, post game, footwork, passing.

I don’t think it’s impossible that at worst he could be a backup big like Kanter. But looking at Kanter’s clips in the Nike hoop summit and his Turkey highlights, at the same age he was more of a hustle player with little skill level. And he never showed the level of rim protection that Sengun has already shown(led Turkish league in blocks).

I went back and watched both Kanter and Domantas Sabonis predraft clips and it is shocking how advanced Sengun is at all areas of the game in comparison. I think saying he is one of the best international prospects since Doncic is no hyperbole.

Deuce, D-rock, raining threes and 3 others like this.
  18. larry cook

larry cook Member

Agreed man, Sengun's probably my favorite prospect after Green. KPJ, Green, Wood, and Segun would be pretty electric. 2 high IQ players in KPJ and Segun. Surrounded by two elite scorers in Green and Wood. Segun's defense currently isn't the best but he does have a level of toughness where he doesn't mind sticking his nose in plays and getting physical. I see him getting better as time goes by considering how athletic the guy is. Love the nastiness him and Green would bring, both are fierce. Segun opens up everything for Christian considering how much of a threat he is down low and Jalen most importantly relieves our young pg KPJ of scoring because that's pretty much Greens specialty. This lets KPJ freelance and play at his rhythm. Imagine Segun diving in and out of the right spots while dropping off those sweet euro passes. It might take a little while for him to put it all together, but his IQ and skills are intriguing at 18 years old.

D-rock and Two Sandwiches like this.
  19. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Jokic and Embiid, but maybe that was your point.

D-rock and Spooner like this.
  20. raining threes

I haven't seen anything but highlights and those dont mean much. But it looks like he's got great footwork. He also has a good nose for the ball in rebounding and a sense of timing for blocking shots. I see Segun as a Nurkic type player with the ability to become more.

Like I said I'm just judging this from a few highlights.

D-rock likes this.