1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

he busy running his businesses: giphy, tenor, imgur, gfycat

Nook and burlesk like this.
  2. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure it's pretty rare for men to get any taller after age 18 or 19... (?)

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I just hope he can turn out as solid as Luis Scola. His post game really remind me of Scolas with the pump fakes, footworks and use of strength.

glynch, Bo6, ilias and 4 others like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought he had recently gained an inch. Could be wrong.

burlesk likes this.
  5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I don't know about THE SINGLE BEST but I'd bet on him being one of the best ones in the future. I'm so high on this guy.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s rare in the world, less rare in the NBA. Theoretically could happen up to age 25 but we’ve seen it happen mostly to people in their late teens early 20’s.

Nook, burlesk, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

And I am confident he will! A lot of y'all are mentioning his BBIQ and I see it too.

I can't to watch this kid develop. Christopher has been impressive too

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

in the future?
    i already dont see many people better than this guy ....his biggest opponent may be coach Silas tho, and rockets marketing department...

Jontro likes this.
  10. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Bones stop fusing and plates lock after about 19-20 for guys at the latest. A post-draft growth spurt is game changing, Giannis going from 6’9” to 6’11”-7’0” turned him from Josh Smith 3.0 to the greatest African player not named Hakeem.

Gaining and inch or two can be the difference between NBA viability and NBA dominance. If Sengun has a late growth spurt he’s officially the white Giannis but better :cool::cool::cool:.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Call me old .... but I remember Arvidas Sabonis back with the CCCP team & when he played for the Blazers ..... his offensive game was noting at all like Sengun's. He was much longer and a far better athlete , shooting & jumping over people - the dude was 7'3".

Sengun is more like Chuck Hayes & Louis Scola had a baby .... Chuck was a fantastic passer out of the high post & his defensive instincts allowed him to defend at a high level while Scola's footwork was unparalleled at the time allowing him to get his shot off against just about anyone.

12. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Chuck Hayes defense + Luis Scola offense is something between Andrei Kiralenko and Al Horford

I have my doubts on how great his defense will be, a 7’0.5” wingspan at 6’9” isn’t bad, it’s more than passable. But it’s not elite.

13. j@amc

j@amc Member

Sengun has a rare combination of skill level, BB IQ, and instincts for such a young player. His disruptive defense regularly surprises people (including the refs), as he already knows how to move and maximize his talent. There's more to playing defense than individual measurables; I don't think it will be very long before we'll see Sengun among our team's highest-rated defenders.

Once he adds a bit more experience (he is, after all, just learning how to play center), explosiveness, and strength to his otherwise already steady game, he'll be a starter for years to come. I think it's going to be a blast to watch him grow in 20 minutes increments.

14. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

What do you mean biggest opponent may be coach Silas? You think coach should give him more minutes? Also what do you mean about marketing department? haha how can they hold him back?

15. dmoneybangbang

GARM is in full blown pre season mode.

I’m interested too see how Sengun does in various lineups. I envision him anchoring the bench his first season.

glimmertwins likes this.
  16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

jSengun is very good at using his body on offense to create space under the rim. However we might see him struggle offensively at times against longer players in the NBA. In the Turkish league he used a lot of baby hooks and up and unders that would probably get blocked by bigger players in the NBA.

It's important that he extend his range, so he won't have to rely entirely on banging down low against taller and longer players.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'd love to see the process of Chuck Hayes & Louis Scola having a baby. :D

maybe not!

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

scola would prolly be a bottom

Deckard likes this.
  19. ilias

ilias Member

True, he may get blocked more in the NBA. However, the NBA allows you more space, and post defence is a declining skillset. I see players that are good at 1-on-1 do better in the NBA than in Europe where spacing is tighter and referees allow more physical post defence.

20. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

If Sengun develops a nice post fadeaway, It’s over for the league because he already has so many counter moves. Jalen Green needs to develop his post game too. We need to spam Dream and the Rockets on social media so they can invite him to a practice.