1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are definitely not just a fan of Dan Langhi, you are and forever shall be the driver of the bandwagon.

My previous post concerns a WHOLE LOT of ignorance posted about Sengun before he started hooping for us, and now the crow must be tasted!

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

If I get a prospect right I’m stupid for having a I was there first mentality.

If I get a prospect wrong people literally rub it in your face for the next 10 years.

Sounds like safest move is just to stop posting.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I didn't do extensive research of Sengun like some posters, but I believe that a player who manage to win mvp of his league at 18 is gonna b great in the NBA.

Barring any misfortune the possibility of him having the best career of this draft is quite realistic. Glad we took the leap of faith

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way that Sengun is going to be a “defensive disaster”. He plays too hard, and he knows how to use angles to his advantage too well.

He might get dunked on a few times, but he is going to make the damn rotation, unlike Christian Wood.

AroundTheWorld, D-rock and JayZ750 like this.
  6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While just waiting for regular season is the only true fire way, i wonder if there are things to look at wrt these summer league guys that ultimately fizzle, or the summer league guys that aren't amazing but ultimately turn out to be so.

Like one would think wrt to both Green and Sengun right now, its not just the basic stats but also the advanced stats that point in their favor. Strong efficiency. Sengun with what 6 assists and 1 turnover. Green with 25 points on 11 shots, and not forcing things, etc.

Like Kevin Knox put up great counting stats his summer league, but shot 35% from the field.

Its not like Sengun is dominating with athletic size or anything. it's all skill. that said...

both guys benefit from already having professional experience...

HMMMMMM..........

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You do know my take on Dan Langhi was a joke........it was sarcasm, right? I think I said something like "I have seen the future and his name is Dan Langhi" because I was getting a bit too excited about him - and knew it.

Summer league is meaningless, remember when Dante Green dropped 40?

Let's just watch, enjoy and see what happens....we are off to a good start with all 3......and haven't seen the 4th, but the odds are that we get maybe 1 or 2 starters out of this.......so let's hope we beat the odds.
    Or you can have thicker skin - I mean.....I get crap for VSPan - it has morphed from - I really would like to see what he can do, because Rafer sucks to - VSPAN IS MY HERO!

Roll with it..who cares what people here say or think, really? It is all just fun. Probably better people know who you are, then be unknown.

DD

#687 DaDakota, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. CXbby

CXbby Member

I swear, even articles looking to praise him are chalk full of false narratives. Sengun will inevitably get exposed on the perimeter by some elite guards who will make him look foolish, WHICH 19 YO ROOKIE BIG WONT? So far in summer league he has been one of the most impactful defenders out there, so where is this defensive disaster coming from?

Also this isn’t the first time I have heard of Kevin Knox tearing up the summer league as some cautionary tale so I had to go back for myself.

21 points on 35% shoot and 48% ts!!! 15 PER

Seriously? Fake news like this passes as journalism nowadays?

9. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Sengun at worst will be an avg defender, not a poor defender.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont care what anyone says - you're a fkin legend bro! I sincerely mean that.

11. kiwirocketsfan

He's already a better defender than Wood. I hate watching Wood play defense, no heart, no hustle, no awareness.

12. Rochut

Rochut Member

I agree with previous posters that a great comp for Sengun is/will be Al Horford. If we get an Al Horford clone at pick 16 to pair with these other young guys maturing on a similar timeline, I love it.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

DD that is not all you said about Langhi... come on now

D-rock likes this.
  14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If you look at the current landscape right now--not including any incoming player in the next 2-3 years--who at the 4 or 5 position would give Sengun trouble? Like legitimate "damn Sengun is getting destroyed" vibes?

Embiid
    Jokic
    Giannis
    Durant
    AD
    LeBron

That's probably the entire list, which is made up of all future Hall of Famers. There's nothing wrong with not being able to contain the Embiid and Jokics of the world because few can.

Once he settles into the NBA schedule and gameflow, could he keep up with:

KAT
    Adebayo
    Randle
    Gobert
    Ayton
    Capela
    Any other 4/5 I failed to mention
    ?

I'd say yea, he should be able to hold his own and not let those players go off and get career high nights on him. As long as he's not a total negative on defense, I'll be fine with that.

Maybe I'm wearing rose-colored glasses right now but Sengun seems to have good footwork, good agility, good timing and good instincts on the defensive end to hold his own against most of the NBA bigs.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I've been excommunicated by Basketball Jesus and started praying to the Pagan God of Parquet.. I feel like the Rockets luck is changing. Basketball Jesus hated us and the city of Houston.. These holy majiks of the Parquet God are blessing us.

we did it.

D-rock, hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I mean Gobert still gets trashed on the perimeter by star guards, it's bound to happen and no big deal

D-rock, hakeem94 and Corrosion like this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's been a pretty bad offseason for Presti

1. Houston kept it's pick
    2. Houston got the #2 pick
    3. Traded Houston one of your lottery picks for two picks that won't be worth all that much
    4. Get to sit back and watch Houston potentially drafting two cornerstone players...with the picks that you could have had/kept

In an alternate reality, Presti could have ended up with a rebuilding core of SGA, Green, Sengun and Dort. Now he has to hope that luck is on his side for another year of tanking.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

there are times when I wish I was more creative.. this is fantastic.. wow!

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  20. CXbby

CXbby Member

It’s even worse, if our picks turn into studs it hurts the okc pick swaps.

steddinotayto likes this.