1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS IS BASKETBALL!!!!!!

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol at the FT routine

3. omgTHEpotential

It's DMo who messed up by hiring that poor excuse of an agent. Could have been a decent role player for the Rockets.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hes pretty tall
    [​IMG]

D-rock, saleem, CXbby and 1 other person like this.
  5. j@amc

j@amc Member

What jumps out to me is how well he spaces the floor. When he dunks off that spin move in the paint, he's showing something special. Think Scola with more athleticism. The DMo comparisons are off for several reasons:
    • Sengun shows a greater feel for the game. DMo seemed always to have the highlights and moves but couldn't even contribute on his national team. Coaches of all types struggled to get him to maximize his potential.
    • Sengun already has the strength to contribute. With an NBA training program, he projects to be a fierce rebounder. With that jump shot and skill, he's going to have a long, productive career (on the right team).
    Somebody will be super happy to land him (my guess is pick #s 8 through 12). Not sure we can move up, but he's a no-brainer selection if you can get him. The only thing not in his favor is the current obsession with going to small, quick lineups. Then again, since his anthro/strength/agility combine numbers aren't available, maybe other forwards are showing more than what he has to offer.

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This would drive me nuts. I was yelling at Giannis all Finals.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

absolutely . Even though I loved dmo’s potential in 14-15 . His FA didn’t come till after the “disaster” 15-16 season . He didn’t come back from his injury until late in the season and looked ... ok . We apparently tricked his agent and matched a deal except didn’t match some bonuses or something . But , iirc we were still due to give him like 30 mil over 4 .

they just should have worked with him and figured it out face to face . Tilman mighta gotten it done . Imo Morey made a little mistake if the sticking point was a player option . I remember he was adverse to that for anyone but stars but , shoulda had more foresight as player friendly the league has become .

his athleticism has never looked that good in any highlights I watch from 2018+ .

back injuries suck . He might’ve been doing us a favor . Agent was dumb .

D-rock likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

not sure if he does it regularly, but imho if he s a great player playing for rockets we could love this...

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

He’s offering up a prayer to the basketball gods, “Have mercy on the unworthy souls I just tooketh. Forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Any reports of the Rockets working out Sengun? I haven’t seen any.

D-rock likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I really want to see this kid in a Rockets uniform

clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Goodness Gracious!
    Look at the entire video, his team comes back from being down 20 points at the end of the 3rd quarter and he was a big part of it.

Also look at the 3:59 mark when alperen is throwing a lucid behind the back/over the shoulder assist while sitting on the floor after he fell lololol

Hes a machine. He can play, boy hes a great player with a natural feel for many aspects of the game, hes a diamond.

clutchdabear, D-rock, CXbby and 2 others like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he demonstrated amazing ball handling skills for a big in this playoffs game highlights...

1 dribbling the ball from basket to basket in transition in crowd(!) surrounded by opposing players on left and right, behind and in front of him...fakes the pass then dishes the assist, and i forgot to mention he was the one who got the rebound in the first place

2 hes attacking rim off the dribble from 3pt line in HALF COURT setting AND DUNKING...he fakes the crossover shaking off the defender and dunks lolol BRUTAL

#294 hakeem94, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    CXbby and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m starting to think his best comp is Pau Gasol

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i didnt watch gasol much but from what i watched i dont think i ever saw him attack off the dribble from 3pt line in halfcourt set, make the fake crossover fooling the defender then he dunks...its more of what the perimeter stars do

ps
    it reminded me more of what yannis would do if he knew how to do the fake crossover dribble

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He did have a face up game similar to Sengun. Pau was a baller

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sengun had his hands in nearly, heck every score during the comeback from 20 down. He was key or in the mix on several defensive plays, as well. He plays with passion and intelligence, and has fantastic instincts. It's a pity that it wasn't before a full venue. They would have been roaring, chanting his name.

The kid played big, and that he is only 18 is incredible. Sengun isn't the only international player I'd like to see us get our hands on, but he's the one who exudes "future star." I don't know if Stone can manage it, but he should try hard to get him.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yes thank you, this is similar
    ps still sengun has better ballhandlling skils already and hes only 18

cmoak1982 likes this.