1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am okay with the G league to start the season but once some guard depth is moved (Gordon, House, Augustin), we should bring him up to play 15-20 minutes a night. I do think the Rockets will try to develop him more as a 1 where he is initiating some of the offense which will likely be best learned in the G-league.

Just don't want him thinking he has to do it all on his own like he did at Arizona St. Definitely has some Marcus Smart in him on defense and has more length too. Should hopefully be a more complete offensive player than Smart as he has not developed his offensive game as much one would hope and is a poor finisher unlike Christopher. If his defense continues to improve and is as good as he was yesterday, then Marcus Smart might be his floor but with more scoring, less passing. Obviously will need to develop a consistent spot up 3 point shot but I think his limited stats in college showed he was a good spot up 3 pt shooter so he is likely under rated in that part of his game.

He might be better served playing with pros every night and relying on them to make shots just as much as he trusts himself, instead of trusting G-leaguers. Definitely tries to do too much out there at times but should be coachable on when to pick his spots. He will learn quickly you can't take 2-3 guys on in the NBA, same with Green. Still, you got to love the confidence these kids have and I think they will make the necessary changes/improvements to become winning basketball players in the NBA. Christopher already seems like he can affect a game in many ways with his defense, rebounding, and ability to get to the rim especially in transition.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

that midrange 10-13 footer is money

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock, roslolian and jakedasnake like this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ha, just responded in another thread at how creepy this gif is.

don grahamleone, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

6. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

His mid range game is good. I'm just glad we have more mid range shooters on our team (Green and Christopher.) We saw how important the mid range game was in the most recent Finals. I love Harden, but I think he takes Morey ball to the extreme which is weird because his mid range game was straight money. CP3, Middleton, Booker were getting so many good looks because of their mid range game. Love to see it

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It’s funny reading all of this negative garbage about a (19 year old ) 24th pick who actually had a decent performance in his first summer league game. I thought the game was moving very fast for Josh early and he got better as it slowed down. His offense will improve over time and I love the way he talks on defense. Young players don’t normally do that on the defensive end. What a nice prospect, had he gone back to school and balled he probably goes higher than 24. Stone may have another steal on his hands. ( Sengun & Garouba were excellent choices as well) Let’s trust the Rockets player development because the kid has tools.

Mr.Scary, D-rock, slothy420 and 8 others like this.
  8. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

He grew on me yesterday bc of the balls on him, he'll learn to be smarter but the way he was trying to make **** happen reminded me of cp3. Do I think he'll be cp3? No lol but I think he'll grow into a really good player. I might be wrong tho but I like that aggressiveness.

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Also, the way he was talking on the floor.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

All the love for Nwaba last year for his defense. Christopher is already better on that end of the floor. This guy was a steal.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Im shocked by how a lot of Clutchfans is down on JC. I liked what I saw from him in his first game in Summer League. Someone online said his Pro comp is Lu Dort. I love that. Lu Dort Defense with better Offense would be amazing for this team..

it's weird how some want players to be trash so badly, lol

#71 DreamShook, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, his defense alone should get people excited. He hasn't played a truly competitive game since basically late January and played a good all around game. First half was rough on offense but he settled down and played a little more under control in the 2nd half trying to find some rhythm.

Christopher and Sengun looked like the 2 best defensive playmakers in the game yesterday, not Mobley or Okoro. Defense is normally not played like that in the summer league, let alone in the NBA so it has me very intrigued. He caused at least 3 or 4 TO's hitting the ball off people's legs. Also intriguing considering he definitely has loads of offensive talent/upside despite what most people on here say.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen a couple of comparisons for JC on this thread. The closest comparison is probably a mix between Marcus Smart and Eric Gordon. I don't see him ever having the vision of Jrue Holiday, nor the all around game he possess.

People forget Marcus Smart averaged 3 stls per game in college and was one of the best defenders ever in college. Smart was never a great offensive player, but he showed some ball handling skills and shot creation in college. While Eric Gordon was able to play good defense on Donovan Mitchell and try hard on defense, his advanced defensive metrics were below average. I think eventually JC's defense can be better than Gordon's, but I'm not sure if his offense will ever be as potent. Either way, if he can just a 6th man 3/D+ type, I would be super happy with this pick.

Deuce, clutchdabear, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I really liked what I saw yesterday. Appears to be able to dribble to get his own shot. Saw some nice passing skills, willing defender, very athletic, appears to be able to shoot. A year in the G league should really help his game but looks like a legit nba prospect with all around skills.

don grahamleone, D-rock and slothy420 like this.
  16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Josh Christopher, talking on the floor; Sengun, talking to the basketball at the free throw line ("if you no swish, then I say, F*** YOU, Jobu, I do it myself!"), just magical.

I can't wait for the interview: "Josh, why all the confidence?" "Well, my initials are J.C., amiright?"

Rashmon, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Midrange Master

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he can get that shot up ANYTIME he wants!

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think him learning shot selection is quite the given that some expect given his "free spirit" upbringing, but I'm not upset either way. You choose the guys that catch your eye and take your chances. They absolutely won't all pay off. Certainly at #24, far more fail than succede, and the potential upside is through-the-roof, and there have even been a few chuckers in the NBA who manage to put together pretty solid careers.

If he ends up being Nick Young or JR Smith, that's still a pretty solid NBA player.

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  20. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

He's good. Crazy how I thought we wasted a pick on him. That's why I'm not you, Rafael. God bless yah