1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Josh Christopher - Possibly Best Value Pick w/ All-star Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Aug 8, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Christopher has a ton of potential. He needs to play.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He’s Kyle Lowry with hops

NewAge, RasaqBoi and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Better than Jalen Green so far lmao

6. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he's probably better than a lot picked ahead of him too. I actually feel that christopher might turn out to be the steal of the draft when its all said and done in about five years, perhaps even better than sengun too. Christopher is a legit two way player who can be a lock down defender and great offensive player. i think he's going to be an all star one day, perhaps even superstar. He may have the highest ceiling. He can already drive, shoot, defend, play make. If he develops a good step back? I was worried about him not being able to hit the 3 pointer. If he can keep his 3 point shooting up, oh my! he's already got that midrange.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This just goes to show that NBA teams can't rebuild with mid to late first round picks.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So you think we can contend with this squad? One of the guys will turn into a top 10 guy so we can recruit another top 10 guy?

9. jcmoon

i agree on christopher starting. he's better at KPJ as long as he keeps hitting that 3. G matthews is not a rocket until he signs on that dotted line. Jalen green is our future, so he needs to start, along with eric gordon as we need to boost his production. Tate can start at the four.

i think KPJ should be demoted to sixth man until he gets his turnovers under control. Give the keys to christopher! i want to see Christopher and Jalen green be combo 1/2s who kill the other team in transition. Green will have EG, Christopher and tate to make up for his sub-par perimeter defense.
    Tate can also play make in certain matchups in the half court while having 3 point shooters at every other position.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Porter had made great strides in To/Assist ratio his last 5 games before injury. JC had one great game, so did JG, that doesn’t mean they are better than KPJ. Watch every game like I do and you can see that KPJ is improving faster than most anyone on the Rockets at both ends of the court. He is going to be an assist machine when the spacing is correct. Benching him in favor of JC is a joke at this point, but I would like to see JC get consistent minutes as a Pg coming off the bench, thus the necessity of trading Gordan and/or Augustine.

D-rock and NewAge like this.
  11. jcmoon

why is it a joke? he's probably not a starter on a championship team. Just cause he's improving as a defender doesn't mean that he's the defender that christopher is. He hasn't won the starting job yet, its a good time to experiment. We are rebuliding. We don't even know if KPJ will be with us in two years. We want to pay him as a sixth man anyways, not overpay him. Its a good time to see if he's humble enough and a team player to play the sixth man role. Eric gordon played sixth man for us and he could of started on many bad teams.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It just seems the bench KPJ mantra because of turnovers in disingenuous since his turnovers have been going down and assists going up. JC has one great game and you are going to relegate Porter to the bench. The Rockets FO seem to think KPJ is our PG of the future and are going to give him every opportunity to prove it. When KPJ and Green get back look for JC to go back to junk time minutes (unfortunately) unless we make a trade. We can agree to disagree.

D-rock likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I can see the current squad being a playoff team in 1 or 2 years ... if not this year :D

Contending in the WCF? 1 or 2 players will need to take a bug step forward.

DaDakota likes this.
  14. jcmoon

who said the FO is saying he's the point guard of the future? they are giving him a shot. he's shooting 30 percent from 3 point range. Keep in mind, we somehow are going to have to fit all the these guys under the cap later: KPJ, Tate, Martin, Matthews, Sengun, Wood, Green, Garuba, and Christopher. They are all going to want raises. Porter is playing 30 minutes a game. He can continue to do so off the bench if he does well. If we continue to start KPJ, he's going to ask for a lot next year, and we may lose him for nothing, keep that in mind. We have the leverage right now with giving him playing time. We want to lock him into a bargain deal and have him outperform that contract. Then we can have the option of packaging him later in a trade for a true all star.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just making the playoffs shouldn't be the intention. Remember the years when Dream didn't have support or the years before we got Harden.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Josh is NOT a PG. He's a 2/3 swingman. he'll end up at 6' 6" 225 or so. I advocated upping his minutes before he was sent to the G league. At the time of the draft, I wanted QG. but JC was the right call.

KPjr, at 21, has made giant strides out top, the spot that takes the longest. (along with big men) Remember he's had less than 82 games played there....last year having to deal with Wall/Oladipo as well as an injured squad. (Wood/EG) For a majority of this year, he's had to put up with the jammed up paint. (Theis) as well as Green next to him.(should have been EG) Kevin had subjugated his game to attempt this move. Meanwhile, KPJr's tapped into that defensive upside...on his way to becoming a defensive beast up there, along with the improvement on the offensive side. Keep in mind, we can play this kid off the wing and he'll ball naturally. He hasn't been able to play in his natural flow...having to "think" more out there. It takes quite awhile for it to become even mostly innate.
    On top of all this, he's making progress on what was previously his biggest knock...the challenges in his life, dealing with it all....the kid's growing up before our eyes and I'm proud of him.

While I applaud Mathews, and his play, folks need to realize that a fairly competent 2 who could knock down some shots from downtown was going to make a HUGE difference. He's a rotation player, but likely not a starter on a good team. Don't lose perspective.

NewAge and snowconeman22 like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think JC has monster potential because of his 2/3 size . Plus , idk I have a feeling that he might grow a bit too . If JC ends up 6’8” he might end up being the best player in our class .

Agree that green shouldn’t have Started the year . That was a “tank” decision . Thank goodness we stung some wins together . Things were getting hot in here .

if JC keeps his shooting trending up he could be better than green . I really like Tate too (especially if he can get better at shooting )

1/2/3 of KPJ / Tate / JC has a great defensive upside .

NewAge and Plowman like this.
  18. McLovins

McLovins Member

Christopher has found his place on this team, so far looking like he was worth his draft spot

Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

In hindsight... I knew it.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

No surprise here. :D

D-rock and ThrillaNManilla like this.