1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for drafting Joe Wieskamp at 23

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have seen discussion for him as an early to mid second round pick, but haven't seen him projected in the first round.

Notes:
    - 6'7+ height with 6'11 wingspan
    - Extremely high IQ
    - Shot 46% on 3s at 5.2 attempts per game last year
    - 42 inch max vertical
    - Top 5 times in lane agility and 3/4 sprint
    - Average/above average (especially this year) defender capable of defending 2-4
    - Winning player at Iowa

In summary - he is a very athletic, long, high IQ player who is a great shooter, and can develop into an above average defender.

He reminds me of a more athletic, younger Joe Ingles.

How is he not a mid/late first round pick? Maybe I am way off, but I don't think he'll last until the 2nd round (or anywhere we would be able to buy a draft pick).

2. H.D.

H.D. Member

The Rockets have never been shy about drafting white guys, so he will get a very fair and likely long look.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I know absolute zip about college prospects. But on paper those are some strong stats and skills. How is he not top tier with a 40+% 3 point shot?! And he’s athletic with a 40+ Vert? And he’s tall with a long wing s?! And he has high iq? Sounds like he’s better than all the top candidates.

Denovo, saleem and COMPAQ CENTER like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Was hoping pre combine to try to get him in the 2nd. Like KMJ last year.
    Don’t think he’ll be a star but could easily see him being Roco level player. Great glue guy, super athlete, great shooter and already a well above average defender. Potentially elite defender.

5. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I am not really sure where Joe is going to land. Before the combine, he was projected late second round/undrafted. With impressive combine, I can see him jump into late first/early second round. He really helped his stocks. He was going back to Iowa if he wasn’t invited to the combine.

average of 8.2 rebounds per 36 min is impressive for his height.

Hope Rockets draft him somehow. I know other teams are interested in him.

D-rock likes this.
  6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

A combination of him, Trey Murphy, grimes, edwards, Williams. I’m a sucker for long wingspans, with great lateral quickness and flamethrower shots. If a guy has that with another attribute like Murphy’s cutting, edwards rim protection, Joe’s potential movement shooting, Williams ability to play secondary creator you take them. Stack your roster full of these guys on reasonable second contracts for when you eventually find that lead creator/superstar and rim running big

clutchdabear, Denovo, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  7. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I saw that his defense was average and this year he picked it up. I admit to only watching highlights and reading his stuff online. If you're watched him closely and you say he's already a well above average defender, then I'm even more excited about the pick!

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd rather have him at 24.

9. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I love Trey Murphy as well. Would be ecstatic if we get him, but Givony mentioned he's rising up the boards fast and projected mid 1st round now.

I also like Grimes, but not sure if I'd pick him at 23/24. He is 6'5 w/ 6'8 wingspan and above average shooting. I can see him do well in the NBA, but I'd rather have Springer if he's available.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s projected late 2nd, if we think he’s the guy then trade back for him and get an additional asset

saleem likes this.
  11. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think picking he and Murphy is the way to go. Length, shooting and positional versatility is needed to win regardless of whether a team built around a Mobley or a Green or anyone else for that matter.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He’s a 3rd year player and is about to be 22

His defense at the NBA level is going to be questionable, he doesn’t have the best lateral quickness on D

If he can put on 15 pounds he might be interesting as a small ball 4

saleem, Kevooooo and kevtse like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would be happy with this

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His lateral quickness tested well above average, his play says above average defender already. Defensive IQ is a strength

D-rock likes this.
  15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Have you read the reports after combine? Most sources report he is a lock to be drafted and probably early 2nd now. I am personally not sure if he will last until where we can buy a pick or if we are willing to lose him, as someone can just jump into the late first to pick him up

16. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

That was before the combine. I am sure he improved his stocks after the combine.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A combine test vs real life reaction isn’t always the same, in college he struggled against quicker players. Not saying he’s a dud, just explaining potential reasons for him to have been projected as a late 2nd

A lot of guys have great stats and combine measurements go undrafted / late 2nd due to age and questions about how D will translate, Vince Edwards was a similar prospect

saleem likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If he’s an early 2nd, or even #29 or whatever, you trade back and get some assets

saleem likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely, but his tape also back up his combine.
    Not to mention the scrimmages.

D-rock likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think it’s clear he’s not a superstar, but I think he could be a great 3&D role player. Was hoping for 2nd round, but I think combine might have him snuck into late 1st.

He’s a product of perceived bias, white guy can’t be athletic or long. He’s just a spot up shooter.
    It’s just not accurate, and the combine should have shown it.