1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cars - Sedans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Asian Sensation

There is no CLK meme but the CLA is a fine tuned German engineered machine.

2. the shark

the shark Member

I would definitely look at a '14/'15 Lexus RX 350.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I've been thinking really hard on this and looking around a bit.

I'm thinking a '14-'15 Lexus IS 350 V6 is the best fit for me. The reviews for this car are outstanding as far as performance, reliability, and safety. Features...I'm thinking I can swing a F Sport package with premium sound system, leather seats, etc. . There really were no changes between the model years...even up to the '16 models is my understanding.

My second option would probably be a downgrade to either a new '16 Accord V6 but why pay a new car price. I guess I could explore used or the '15 model year here.

I just need to do some test drives at this point. I think if I test drive the IS 350 V6...I will probably be sold at that point and will want nothing else. The fact is it is going to be a better performer and ride than a Honda any day of the week.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Yea...I honestly wasn't in on the joke for the CLA M-B. Someone did rep me saying I was being trolled. It's not like I would buy a Mercedes-Benz, anyway.

Being curious, I did go over to look at the website to see one and thought it looked nice. I didn't get much farther than that. Apparently, they were touting this at a base price of ~ $32K. I was thinking "Wow...an affordable Mercedes-Benz".

Once I was rep-ed saying this was the common joke recommendation here on the forum, I did some more reading and apparently the only positive thing about it is it looks nice from the outside. Consumer Reports gave a scathing review of the thing. It was quite funny to read about how screwed up this car is given Mercedes-Benz has a history of producing unreliable cars in general but especially first-gen cars. The joke being it takes several generations of their higher class models to work out all the kinks...and the reliability still isn't great.

Some of the more hilarious comments I read were the trunk storage is like inserting mail into a mail slot, the back seats are akin to mouse traps, the cabin is like a small cage, the handling is akin to riding a ten speed over a gravel road, the car makes noises that sound like rats crawling around your attic at night, etc. . Okay, so I made a few of those colorful descriptions up but the comparisons are on par for what you get.

Bottom line was...if you've never driven a more expensive Mercedes-Benz model...then you won't know any better if you drive this lower priced model on how a M-B is supposed to drive. And, one of the kickers is once you start adding simple options to this cheaper model, the price ends up escalating to close to $40k or more anyway. And, you end up with a feature-filled moving piece of crap. Woohoo!

So, yea, thanks for the trolling. :p

#44 Surfguy, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  5. Asian Sensation

Yup. Big difference between a new Accord and a barely used Lexus in terms of performance, luxury, looks etc. I'd go with the 350 as well. If you can swing the F-sport even better.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Except an S2000. God why did they stop making those?! Most fun car there was for under 35 grand. Too bad they aren't that practical.

#46 fchowd0311, Apr 28, 2016
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

welcome to the land of obese SUV drivers.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I understand the practicality of AWD SUVs. If I could afford two vehicles, there would be no p***y footing around. I would get one highly practical SUV and a dedicated 2 seater lightweight sports car like a Cayman or S2000. No compromise in the middle heavy 5 seater sedan that pretends to be sporty with a large displacement or turbo engine.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Why not just replace the tranny? It's like $2k - $4k depending on where you get the part.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The 2016 MX-5s are good looking to me. Makes no sense for a young family but I might try to convince my wife to get one for her next car.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

They are great. They are so light at 2300 Ibs. However, the steering was a bit soft and there was some body roll in the one I test drove. It's still amazingly fun. For now, imo, the best lightweight sports car for under 35 grand today is the gt86/frs/brz. The absolute best steering feedback and response I've ever driven south of Porsche. They drive so much like go karts. I've never driven a car at that price range that is so instantaneous with response from the steering, to the pedals and the shifter. You ever so slightly move the steering wheel, the car responds. There is no dead zone in the steering. The seating position is perfect and low. You feel like you are sitting in a purpose built sports car. I owned a GTI. That's a pretty sporty hatchback that many people love. When I test drove a BRZ and went back home in my GTI, the GTI felt like a SUV in comparison. It's that big of a difference. Pretty much every other car I drive feels like a truck in comparison except for other similar cars like the MX-5, S2000, RX-8 etc.

OP, I know you require a sedan, but get this:
    [​IMG]

The most fun you will have in a car under 30 grand. You have to find the right roads. They are easy to find in New England for me but in Southeast, Texas it might be difficult. The car isn't a straight line performer.

#51 fchowd0311, Apr 28, 2016
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

^agreed on the FRS/BRZ, but what would likely sway the Mrs is the convertible so that's why we'd be more likely to get the MX-5

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Open air sure does enhance the 'connected' feeling you get in sports cars. It's close between the MX-5 and BRZ.

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

I owned a brz for a year and if you want something that's quick, you're not going to get it here. The transmission isn't as good as Honda's, some gears take a little force to go in, not buttery smooth.

I suggest spending a little more and get a 2 series if you're considering a brz/frs. Much better vehicle overall.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I'm sure if I daily a BRZ I would find more quirks and the initial drive factor would eventually wane but that 30 minute test drive was absolutely amazing. I would be surprised if the new 2 series has that go kart like feeling being heavier, and the electric steering in the latest generation BMWs aren't that great. It's definitely faster and more practical.

That's a very conflicting report from what I've heard and from my personal experience in regards to the transmission but you owned one so I can't say much.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

While that may be the less expensive way to go in the short term, given the age of the car and miles on the car, I'm not sure that makes much sense. The car is not worth that much at the moment. Ten years is a long time to have the same car in my book as one's primary car. I could fix the tranny but then I would be gambling that something else doesn't start failing. The fact is there are already other minor problems starting to add up as well, such as line leaks. I think I would rather just put all that money into a newer car. I'm also ready for something new. The Camry is pretty vanilla but, at the time I got it, I was willing to take vanilla for reliability because of expensive repairs on a previous car. Now, I'm looking for a little more luxury with reliability.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I was playing around checking out the 2016 Accord Sport - no haggle 22,500 out the door with a 6 speed manual. May test drive this weekend while I get my airbag replaced - not really looking to buy but that is tempting.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Brz's are just too weak on power, I appreciate agility, steering feel and handling greatly but I can't get a sports car that takes 6.5 seconds to get to 0-60. I think the V6 accord would beat it no?

For a sports car under 35k, you cant beat the value of the Mustangs and Camaro's.

A new gen Mustang GT with a performance package will probably be about 33k, only 8k more then a (base) BRZ and is a worlds difference ahead on performance. Even the 370z, Hyundai Genesis coupe 3.8 will give a lot more bang for buck then the BRZ.

All of this is irrelevant to what OP is looking for though since we are talking about 2 door sport focused cars.

OP I you could probably get a used Cadilac CTS-V in your price range if you look at the old body style, that's a nice mixture of performance and luxury for the price.

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

You're right the electric steering is a bummer. Here's my experience. Purchased the BRZ new when it first came out. Vehicle only had 3 miles when I took delivery.

Upon the initial drive out of the dealership, I noticed my first and second gears were very difficult to shift into. I thought maybe the transmission needed time to break in, but the problem persisted after a year of ownership. Thought it was possible my transmission was a lemon, but saw some video reviews comparing the BRZ/FRS with other sports cars and a couple of them said the same thing, notchy shifting.

BRZ;
    + better handling
    + less expensive
    + less body roll
    - vehicle is too low, can scrape those cement blocks in parking spots
    - mediocre brakes
    - tiny interior

2 series;
    + faster
    + usable trunk
    + slightly larger back seats
    + turbo
    + less noise and smoother ride
    - slightly more body roll

Honestly tho, both these cars don't compare to a evo/sti when it comes to handling. If the OP wants a performance sedan, the sti/evo is the best at 35k. The closest vehicle I've driven under 40k that handles as well as the sti/evo is the ITR. ITR > BRZ/2 series and that's a 18 year old vehicle.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

FRS vs 370Z
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JUhLXvxlQR4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FRS vs Genesis Coupe
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mzTTx__QRcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Those videos prove that hp and low end torque aren't everything. I admit that the FRS is not as fun in Southeast Texas flat straight style roads. If I still lived in Houston or another flat area with straight roads I wouldn't really want something like and FRS...

Here is the ultimate goal of a 'sports car': Try to have as much of that 'go kart' feel as possible. The other cars you mention fail at that. The Mustang GT is heay. The steering isn't as direct. You do not sit as low. The BRZ is a far more focused 'sports car'. It comes from the same philosophy as the Miata, RX-7, MR2 etc. Light weight cars that drive like go karts. Drive a BRZ and than a Mustang back to back. You'll appreciate the massive amounts of low end torque which is beneficial in traffic light drag races and high way pulls, but it's not nearly as responsive as something like a FRS or S2000.

The Genesis Coupe isn't that great. Rubbery steering and shiftier action.

Let's put this way. It's much harder to make a heavy but fast car feel nimble and 'go kart' like then it is to make a light and nimble car that isn't that fast be fast.

#60 fchowd0311, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016