1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cars - Sedans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Please don't

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

you could check out the volvo s80 if that floats your boat. Nothing exciting but they are solid

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Member

Don't buy a used German car. I bought a 2011 X5 in 2014 and I'm now paying for all the post 60k mile maintenance. German maintenance is expensive.

I suggest buying a Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. New or used

4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Member

Infiniti Q50 sport
    You can find a used one for around 30k or less

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you decide to check out the Accords, Surfguy, be sure and test drive the 6. It has an actual automatic transmission with gears (8 speeds? can't remember), not the stupid CVT gizmo my significant other's Subaru Forester has (gets great gas mileage and is a very nice small SUV, but I will never get used to a CVT as long as I live!). The Accord's V6 runs like a champ on regular gas and will get up and move. Very smooth, very quiet ride with a host of safety features. For the money, it's good value, in my opinion. Of course, you could spend a lot more for the name and styling of one of the "luxury" sedans. I wouldn't blame you.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Acknowledged on the Honda 6 cylinder...6 cylinder is a personal requirement.

I really dig the Lexus IS 350 F-Sport. Unfortunately, I think I'm priced out of even used. I think a used IS 350 is in range, though.

My cousin has the Lexus RC F Sport Coupe. Talking about a powerful machine. Sweet car.

7. kevC

kevC Member

Turbo-charged 4 cylinders are the new 6 cylinders.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

True...albeit that is only a slight boost in horsepower when compared to a true V6. I think Kia Optima is turbo-charging their 4 cylinders on some of those models.

9. Uprising

Uprising Member

Not a lot of power, but I really like the Mazda 6.

10. Uprising

Uprising Member

Generally the SX Turbo model I think.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Member

Got a 2015 WRX myself. Check those out.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If you like power on acceleration have you thought of the Dodge Charger? Not sure how you feel about muscle cars but the Charger was recently updated is 2015, you could get a new v8 R/T for about 30k which would definitely have more power then any other new option in your price range.

Then there is the A3 which is a nice option for 30k.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Yea...it's a balancing act. Looking for more power in acceleration and passing but nothing to juicy that a V8 would provide as I still have an eye on gas mileage efficiency and I don't really trust myself in a V8 (lol). I'm also looking for a softer, sweeter ride with a quieter cab but also a reliable car. At times, I have been intrigued by the power I could get from a Ford Mustang or Dodge Charger. But, also weighing the increased costs in filling the tank and insurance to have those cars as well...which I don't find favorable.

The Camry I have now is a SE V6 model with the rigid, tightened suspension...definitely a harder ride than their other models...which I felt was a better fit for me back in 2006 at the price point (the LE didn't do it for me and the XLE was over-the-top for me at the time). Although I got used to it, I tired of the rougher, "sportier" ride after a while...especially since the roads are not well maintained these days. It was a great car for me up until today as I never had a major issue with it.

The problem with some of these automatics is they started getting rid of transmission dipsticks making it all internal...so you can't really gauge what is going on inside your transmission by checking the fluid easily. If the fluid level is low, or if it is dark needing to be changed, then this is a problem. It's just a hard recommendation that you change your fluid every 100k...and I had that done but earlier than that. I got burned today because I apparently had a very minor leak that no one would ever spot in a normal maintenance check and they don't normally check the tranny fluid quality during regular maintenance point checks, either (cause you can't just check it with a dipstick...you have to get the tranny fluid to a certain temperature before they can check it). The only real way you know you have a problem then is when your tranny starts acting up by slipping or is making noises. It seems the IS 350 has no dipstick, either, unfortunately. :(

#33 Surfguy, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  14. Asian Sensation

With candy apple Ryehd paint, 22's and two 12's in the back to pop trunk.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I've got to imagine this is a fun time to be buying a car in Houston. Good luck Surfguy.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

I'm not in Houston (born there, though, and lived there for ~ 20 years; never saw flooding like the last few years, though, except small street flooding during hurricanes).

But, it's kind of worse cause I live in D/FW. And, we have had a few intense hail storms this Spring already with supposedly more possible this week. Tons of dented cars and roofs. A lot of skylights have been broken...like in Plano.

Funny thing, though. When I was looking at used IS 350s on a used cars website, I found one that was decently priced with low mileage. I was intrigued until I saw a picture of the hood. It got caught in one of these hail storms and had dings all over the hood shown in the picture. But, otherwise, it was in immaculate condition. lol

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

35k can almost buy you a new base model 3 series or a4 I think, maybe even the x3 if you want a suv.

Lots of options, test drive the vehicles you want and purchase it based on your experience.

18. got em COACH

got em COACH Member

Lexus is 250 based

19. Asian Sensation

Slow AF! Not condoning racing or implying one needs a lot of HP but for 35K the 250 leaves much to be desired no matter how good it looks.

20. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

Can someone explain the CLK meme, I missed unfortunately.