1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carroll Dawson running workouts for Joey Dorsey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no jump nor any hook in his jump hook shot.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I keep hearing that point guard is the hardest position to learn. It seems, that big guys dominate from the start. Shaq, Duncan, Dwight Howard, Jermaine O'Neal, and Amare. It seems that big players that struggle early will also struggle late. Darko/Kwame.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

When you practice on form and release, sometimes the result of the shot doesnt matter cuz its about getting the body to react naturally to the new form you're giving it.....

Something tells me Dorsey might only listen to 1/5 of what he's told though :eek: Not saying he isnt coachable, just some guys aren't learners.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Man, his touch is terrible. Hope CD can make him better.

Has CD ever tried to teach Chuck Hayes to shoot free throw?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he keeps working that hard, he will get it.

DD

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know u can't rewinðbut I wish we wouldve drafted Jordan instead of dorsey. It wouldve been nice to give cd or sikma a bigger ball of clay to sculpt. A 6'11 Jordan with his athletic ability could yield bigger results vs a 24 yr old Dorsey.

7. DaDakota

I think they are counting on Dorsey's high energy and work ethic to make him an NBA player.

To me, he looks a long way off, not that good on D, not good on O, but at least he is working hard.

I expect him back in the D-league with instructions to SHOOT, SHOOT..SHOOT !!

DD

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think he's just really far behind on offense, like he said, all he did in college was dunk. Memphis probably didn't even bother trying to make him develop any other offensive skills, so he's probably like a high schooler just barely learning the pro post game. I think he may make it, but it's not going to be anytime soon.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's definitely using too much arm on the hook, there's no bend at the wrist, it may be a problem due to his hands though, like on free throws, centers with huge hands have a tendency to shoot line drives. It's difficult to get the snap of the wrist to add arc when you're shooting a grapefruit. He also may lack flexibility because of how much muscle mass he has.

He should look at Kevin Willis clips, he's got the same stiffness on his post moves. Hopefully he can develop a similar hook and face up jumper.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Didn't Morey say Dorsey was nba ready? I'm just saying in the 2nd rd, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to take a big project. Andray Blatche, Amir Johnson types that with some work can turn out to be pretty good players. When you take Deandre Jordan, then you're talking about a guy that's a 4/5. When u take dorsey, he's a 4 which the rox are already loaded at with the same size/body type of players.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Dorsey, but Jordan is looking like a perfect back up for Yao right now...

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

It took Jermaine O' Neal 4 years before he was able to make an impact in the league, granted he was a high schooler buried at the end of a VERY deep Portland bench. Dwight showed flashes his rookie year but he was VERY raw as well. Even Shaq was(and still is when needed) a pure power Center when he first came in. I know we're talking about first round picks and Dorsey was a second rounder. If he truly wants to put in the work to get better then he will.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

He looked better towards the end of the clip than the first. Not sure why.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq was more agile and fluent when he was a rookie.

His game actually became more powerful when he really started
    lifting the weights, but his free throws and quickness was best
    in his first couple years in the league I believe.

15. Chamillionaire

he's not going to suddenly get an offensive game after years of not having it. he'll be at best, ben wallace light, or maybe a taller version of our own chuckwagon. if he can play d and grab boards with regularity, i'd be happy with that. no way he will become a rotational player, he has d-league written all over him.

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

I remember how fast and agile he was at LSU and his first few years in the league. I still to this day have never seen anyone do the things he did with his size.

17. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

He should be working on his jumpshots, FTs, and mainly his D cause he won't be much of an offensive force in the post for awhile if ever...

18. Chamillionaire

chuckwagon > dorsey

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I agree, and unfortunately, thats what i'm afraid of... The guy doesn't look mature/serious to work his heart out ala Yao. He looks like he just wants to goof around and have fun...

20. DaDakota

He will quickly find out his NBA career is on the line and get with the program...I see a long stint at Rio Grande for him.

DD