1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carroll Dawson is on 1560 with Richard Justice

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Feb 22, 2008.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

#1 macfan, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Not only that this is the first time I've heard an interview of his were he's easy to undertand :eek:

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

you mean Richard Justice not Dave Justice the wife beating Brave right?

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Credited Dean Cooper with finding Carl Landry for the Rockets. Never heard of Landry until Cooper told about a guy had been injured...

5. WNBA

WNBA Member

More Landry, please.

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Yeah I heard most of that CD is a badass

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dang it, I missed it, will they pod cast it?

DD

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't let the $Ball fanatics around here find out about that. They'll campout out at CD's front door until his gives full credit to Morey. And then they'll water torture him until he agrees Battier was all his idea and Morey and Les had nothing to do with it.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

LOL .. I knew that was coming. Let me guess ... this has now turned into a "100% Cooper pick". Right?

News flash .. multiple people are always involved in any GM decision. There's no such as a thing a decision belonging to 100% one person, if the franchise is functioning correctly. I don't know what "$Ball" has to do with anything. The Rockets put the work in, and Morey made the right decision in taking the input of his basketball people. That's how you're supposed to do things.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I love CD, but how did he not know who Carl Landry was? Landry was a four-year player at Purdue and an All-Big Ten Player. It's not like he was a small school find like Kevin Martin or Flip Murray.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

CD is getting old. :D

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Carl Landry didn't play four years at Purdue. He played two. He was a juco transfer from Vincennes.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Delete...

14. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Morey gets credit. If a decision turns out to be right, the guy at the top always gets credit, and rightfully so.

But, as far as $ball is concerned, so far, it doesn't work out best where it suppose to work better, i.e. SF, MJ situation, since players already in the NBA supposedly should have more measurable history and thus more subject to $ball analysis. On the other hand, decisions in draft, where $ball is supposedly less applicable, turn out well. It should be pointed out that the best we know $ball doesn't identify these guys from a player matrix, rather, some people identified them, i.e. RA for Brooks, CD for Scola, Cooper for Landry. How much of a role $ball plays in final decision making? We don't know.

#14 michecon, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  15. durvasa

I think that's the correct way to look at it. The SF and MJ deals were busts, so Morey has a very mixed record right now as a GM. Fortunately, the Rockets didn't invest to heavily into them, and they were able to trade MJ's contract for a lesser one with the Jackson trade.

From the beginning of the offseason last year, and disregarding the draft picks, we have effectively turned Spanoulis, Juwan Howard, Bonzi Wells, and Snyder into Luis Scola, Bobby Jackson, Gerald Green, and probably some yet to be named additional player we pick up between now and the playoffs. On balance that looks good to me, but we have to see how the rest of this season plays out.

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

If I remember correctly it was Adelman who convinced Morey to bring back Mike James. One of his first requests to Morey after becoming head coach was to bring in James. Francis was a low risk, low cost move. I'm not a MOF yet but I find it very hard to find much fault with what he has done so far.

17. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

we can't blame morey for sf because he was a lowrisk high reward that anyone would take. and even mj on the bench was better than jh. those two were situational, the nba isn't built so you can just go get anyone you like, it's a balance between analysis and opportunity.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Adelman said in his interview on Thursday that by the time he was hired the Mike James deal was pretty much done. So he didn't request him at all.

19. durvasa

I don't really know how much "$ball" was the driving force in those deals, but if we judge the GM by the results then he has to get a low grade on them. One of the needs in the offseason was to acquire solid PG help, and he didn't accomplish that. It is our fortune that Rafer didn't totally flake out, because otherwise we'd really be up the creek.

To be fair, I actually thought at the time both moves made sense because the "risk" was so low and there wasn't much available last offseason in terms of quality PG help. I thought the decisions were sound, and the risk was well managed. I'll put it this way. In retrospect when we are assessing Morey's performance as GM, those deals have to count against him. Does it shake my confidence in his ability to make smart decisions in the future? Not really.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

mj was what Juwan could bring. Advantage: Rox, mj.
    mj busted with Rox. With Bonzi, improved flexibility and added Bobby Jax - who flourished (while younger, healthier) in RA system (as opposed to Bonz who flourished mostly in the play-offs). Advantage: Rox, BJax.

Mixed results? I'd prefer to say 'incomplete'.