1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

carrol Dawson is a joke...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by We're Back, May 27, 2003.

1. Sane

Sane Member

Why is everyone so picky about the way people word things?

Favour or favor. Color or colour. What's the difference?

Jeez. This must be the 6th time I've seen people picking on Yetti's use of OU rather than just the American O.

You know, there IS a world outside of America.

2. Skeptic

Skeptic Member

The difference would be that of one letter. In this case, the letter 'U'. Or, more appropriately, the difference between American English and British English.

It is perfectly alright for a Brit, an Aussie, and perhaps a Canadian to use the 'ou' spelling, but it is pretentious of an American to do so. So, I merely inquired as to what was the case in this instance.

Personally, I am happy to know you have a grasp of world geography. Question: What is the mountain range located in the North African countries of Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia?

Skeptic

3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

What is the point of this thread? Im still trying to figure out that one.

Oh and thanks for the insider information on CD.

Dont you just love people who can predict the future??

4. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

CD has done a better job than Dave Checketts did in NY or Bob Whitsitt did in Portland. I like CD.

If "We're Back" and REIT want to deify Steve Patterson- by all means do so. Please explain to me Steve's logic taking Hakeem to the media over the contract and what Steve Patterson called a "fake injury " - Olajuwon's back. Alienating your star player is not that cool.

You cannot give the Pattersons much credit for drafting Olajuwon either. I remember reading in the Chronicle that old Patteson wanted to draft Olajuwon to fill seats - not because of talent, but because of attending U of H.

You are right - CD is gone - "We're back" - how hard was that to figure???????? When Rudy got his walking papers- did anyone really think CD would stay. This will be over soon - a new coach with new ideas about players and trades.

CD is gone and I will expect several players to be gone too.

I give CD credit for getting Mo Taylor. He was a sought after free agent and came to Houston because he thought we had a winner here. He played for the 1 mil exception and could have gotten better money elsewhere. At the time I thought that Taylor, Anderson, Kevin Willis, and earlier Otis Thorpe were all brilliant moves by CD.

5. Skeptic

Skeptic Member

I believe this thread is a study in nihilism.

Skeptic

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

in essence our GMs have never been in the 'top' of their class. if you think so...please think again. There are a lot of GMs now that can lap CD many a times over. Prime example is Joe Dumars...and i'm not even talking about getting the #2 pick. He pulls trades when he needs to and gets things done. I could care less if CD is the most respected GM or a coaches GM...all this means to me is that CD is a pushover and other GMs comes a calling whenever they need to dump contracts...

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Personally, the only gm that did his job is the one who's team win the title. In 94,95 it was Dawson, but since then its been Kupchak or West, Popovich and Krause. Thats it! Any other gm hasn't done a good job. Winning the title is the only thing that matters when judging a gm or coach.

8. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

if CD is a joke, why is houston as some say is the "most" coveted job in the NBA? something doesnt ring true here... :confused:

9. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

The two keys to succeeding in today's NBA: a) a proactive and visionary GM, and b) luck! And there is exactly why Spurs will have a dynasty going and Pistons will the beast of East because both have brilliant GMs who have vision and understand the market. And there is exactly why Rockets will never be a No. 1 team (actually were Rockets ever a No. 1 seed team?) and win championships again as long as they have a GM who doesn't know how to play the salary cap - luxury tax game and who doesn't know how to manipulate the timing of expiring contracts to free up cap space at the right moment. Period.

As for saying that our GM is respected in the league, of course he's respected. Why would the players, the coaches, agents, other teams' GMs etc not respect a person who always overpays for them or goes easy with them in trades/contract discussions etc? Please... :rolleyes:

10. blender

blender Member

Geez, talk about pretentious...

11. mos-def

mos-def Member

i just don't understand why some people are so negative. we are on the verge of greatness, ala dallas and nj a few years ago, and all people can do is complain.
    i just don't get it, but, whatever...

yeah, there also seems to be alot of clairvoyence around here. alot of people that can see the future, can read the thoughts of others, know the "real" reasons behind obvious statements, and know people and subjects that they have never come into actual contact with. absolutely astounding.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think from just reading Yetti's posts in this forum, it doesn't take one long to deduce that he is a pretentious individual.

Also, glad to see We're Back is Nostradamus Incarnate...

13. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

CD is respected because hes the kind of guy anyone would like to work with. Thats why the Rockets have a chance of signing Larry Brown. The Rockets approach of signing current players instead of constant additons and deletions is a steadying one...As opposed to the Clippers, for instance, who have plenty of cap-space..but no players who want to fill it.