1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr to be traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Joshfast, Mar 9, 2007.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

dont have espn insider but Pasquarelli talkin about it...Texans have eyes on Quinn....espn insider
    On the list of the world's 946 billionaires published by Forbes Magazine this week, Houston Texans owner Bob McNair ranked No. 664, with reported assets of $1.5 billion.

That's good, because it seems that for the second time in six years, McNair is going to be opening up the bank vault to sign a top 10 quarterback from the draft.

The man Houston coach Gary Kubiak quietly had targeted to be his starting quarterback in 2007, Jake Plummer, has retired. Or at least Plummer claims to have walked away from the game, even if he hadn't officially filed the paperwork with the league office as of Thursday evening. But just because it appears that Plummer won't be reunited with Kubiak doesn't mean that incumbent starter David Carr is safe as the Texans' starting quarterback for the coming season.

2. Silfam

Silfam Contributing Member

Here's the full and complete text of the Insider Quinn To Texans Article:

On the list of the world's 946 billionaires published by Forbes Magazine this week, Houston Texans owner Bob McNair ranked No. 664, with reported assets of $1.5 billion.

That's good, because it seems that for the second time in six years, McNair is going to be opening up the bank vault to sign a top 10 quarterback from the draft.

The man Houston coach Gary Kubiak quietly had targeted to be his starting quarterback in 2007, Jake Plummer, has retired. Or at least Plummer claims to have walked away from the game, even if he hadn't officially filed the paperwork with the league office as of Thursday evening. But just because it appears that Plummer won't be reunited with Kubiak doesn't mean that incumbent starter David Carr is safe as the Texans' starting quarterback for the coming season.

And that's where McNair's big bucks come into play.

There remains a pretty strong suspicion that Carr, the first overall selection in the 2002 draft, will be traded, if the Texans can find a taker for him. So who would start for the Texans this season if Carr were dealt and the team couldn't finagle a way to somehow get Plummer onto the roster?

Well, try Brady Quinn, the star Notre Dame quarterback and a guy Houston officials are ardently eyeballing.

Houston owns the eighth overall choice in the first round of the draft and NFL sources tell ESPN.com that the Texans have been talking to teams higher in the order about moving up in the round, if necessary, to snag Quinn. Specifically, the Texans feel they might have to leap-frog the Minnesota Vikings, who own the No. 7 pick and who also will be tempted to grab Quinn as their quarterback of the future.

The Texans have been doing a lot of talking with Washington, currently at the No. 6 slot, about a deal. That makes sense because Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, who finally seems convinced that you can't buy a Super Bowl with free agents and actually have to invest in some draft picks once in a while, wants to slide down out of the No. 6 slot and amass extra choices.

Some in the league feel the Texans and Redskins already have an arrangement in place for such a deal, provided, of course, Quinn is still on the board at the sixth slot.

Quinn threw the ball well at his campus workout last week -- not great, scouts felt, but good enough -- and has all the intangibles the Texans want. If the Texans can figure a way to land Quinn, they would allow him to compete with veteran Sage Rosenfels for the starting job this year, but without putting too much pressure on him.

Of course, much of that is contingent on finding a place to ship Carr, the onetime face of the franchise but a guy who needs a fresh start somewhere else if he is to fulfill his potential.

Enjoy - Go Texans - Whatever they do, please make the right freaking move.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Nope, my point is if they don't care at all, then go out of their way to make a change, (leaving other mistakes on there like DW) then something could be up... ;)

#63 Joshfast, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

5. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i believe the quinn talk (combined with the carr talk) may in some small way be the texans trying to drive miami to swap slots and give up a pick. regardless of the carr situation, i can't believe they'd give up picks OR draft a QB in round 1... i mean, i find it very nearly unfathomable.

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, busy morning, I got on this late....

My take, IF something were to happen, I have a feeling Plummer would be involved. If its a trade for a draft pick, no way we get better than a 3rd rounder.

If anything happens with Carr, I hope it involves Plummer because then that takes Brady Quinn out of the equation, which I'd be happy with. I dont want Quinn near this team. Then, we can look for a QB in the 3rd (Kolb).

First pick goes to Landry or Hall (after a trade down)...and I wont have to worry about Quinn behind center.

10. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If they trade up to draft Quinn they will be repeating their 1st round heroics of last season. How in the world will they top that next season? :eek: They will take the franchise down another notch.

What a waste to trade up for Quinn. It's going to be sick enough if they draft Quinn at all.

I hate saying this, but I would rather have Carr than Quinn.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'm with you on that one...

I just dont see it with Quinn. Picking him at 8 is bad enough, trading up for him is a disaster. We need more picks, not less.

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I find that highly unlikely. No real use for all this posturing when it's not even close to a sure thing that a qb that miami may want falls to number 8.

I can believe it, esp when your qb stable right now = Carr and Sage.

13. updawg

updawg Member

I agree with you. today's news started out so good too

14. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

That's not a stable, that is a pony ride at the carnival.

15. Howyalikemenow

Quinn, like Notre Damn, is overrated. Hopefully the Texans won't make another 1st round mistake.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am glad the Texans have finally figured out what sooooooo many of us knew last year.

Could we be trading him to Clevland for the 3rd pick and they get our 8th?

DD

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wonder how much of this Quinn hate is really just Notre Dame hate.

Not saying I want to draft the guy, but he seems to be taking a LOT of heat just because he plays for ND. Yes, ND is always overrated but it's not his fault.

18. bchapman101

bchapman101 Contributing Member

It would be an absolute disaster to draft Quinn at #8, but to actually TRADE UP to draft him would be the stupidest thing in the world and would put Kubiak and Rick Smith right there with Casserly as complete morons. It would be even stupider than last year, and it would mean we have to wait a few more years for another new coach and GM. Now that being said, I find it difficult that they can be that dense. So it must be a ridiculous rumor.

19. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I am sure some of it is, some of it comes from the fact he is a pretty boy, some of it comes from the fact the Domers got whooped by LSU, USC and UM

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

unless, of course, quinn ends up being really good. which is certainly in the realm of possibility.