1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr Playing Well, Rest of team sucks...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Joshaaronb, Sep 17, 2006.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hmmm...a Houston athlete playing at an all star level on a team that sucks...where have I seen that before? ;)

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Kubiak doesn't think Carr is the least of the Texan's problems- He made a point to call Carr out after the game.

The Carr who looked great against the second string, was the Carr who looked like a rookie against the 1st string.

Please David Carr make me eat my words... lead this team to 8 wins and I will cook crow and dine here in the BBS

3. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Does anyone know where I can find Kubiak's post game comments calling out Carr? I would like to read them.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

You did not just compare David Carr to Yao Ming, did you? :p

5. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Listen to sportsradio 610 they've played it all morning and the afternoon show begins at 2:00pm central.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

well, all stats are going to be a little sideways with such a small sample size. it's been two weeks. last year, who would you say were the two best qbs in football? manning and palmer? they were 1 and 2 in qb rating.

so it IS a fair assessment of how a qb is playing. if carr's hovering near the top of the league 6 weeks from now, it'll mean he's turned the corner. in a season that's going to feature very few bright spots, his play so far has shone the brightest. cherish these moments....

7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

well in 2004 we had thought he had turned the corner in the first half of the season but he didn't do too well in the 2nd half of the season. i'm not saying he will this season but just keep that in mind.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Go back and see why he mysteriously didn't do so well in the 2nd half of that year. Do you think he just allofasudden forgot how to be a QB?

The answer is that teams adjusted to this team's offense (like most good teams, with good coaches do), and the inability for our offense to be flexible (due to an inept offensive line, along with inept coaches, and a set of skills position players who needed direction) led to a huge collapse in production in 2004.

The funny thing is, knowing all of the ineptitude surrounding the second half of 2004, the team did NOTHING about it going into 2005. They said the O-line was fine, they said that Carr will continue to grow, and they said that the playoffs should be right around the corner... hell, we'll draft a DEFENSIVE TACKLE who fits our "vaunted" 3-4 defense and shore up that side, and things will be smooooooth sailing.

If anything, the success this team had at the start of 2004 actually SET THEM BACK two years. If they had flopped in 2004, like they probably should have, they would have started addressing the o-line and the pass rush MUCH sooner.

9. Hey Now!

meaningless; kubiak's job is dependent upon him reviving carr's career; he staked his reputation on it during his interview with mcnair. if he didn't privately think carr was on the right track, he sure as hell wouldn't, in essence, admit publically that he's failing as a coach.

this is all part of the (long) process. he knows what he's doing. if you don't believe me, ask jake plummer and the broncos if they miss kubiak.

in a lot of ways, he is a rookie.

but he looked good yesterday; yes, even against the 1st string. after an awful start (and it was awful), the texans, down 14, marched inside the colt 25 when lundy fumbled. how does this game shift if they go in to score 6 right there?

next possession, a chop block pushes them into a 2nd-and-20 inside their own 20. kubiak rightly keeps it conservative; they punt. next drive, carr goes 5/7 and they kick a FG. it's 17-3 at that point with 1:50 left in the half; could/should have been 17-6; possibly 17-10. still, 17-3 with 1:50 left in the half is manageable.

the next time carr touches the ball, they're down 27-3. but sure, let's jump all over carr.

10. Hey Now!

their schedule got tougher, too. in weeks 8-13, they played the colts twice, denver and green bay, all playoff teams that year, if not mistaken.

Nick brings up another good point. the colts have had 7 first round picks since taking manning first overall; they've used 4 on offensive players (james, wayne, clark, addai). as good as manning is, they keep supplying him with weapons; they don't rest on their accomplishments. james leaves and rather than get arrogant about it, they use a top 30 pick on a back.

the texans have had 5 first round picks since taking carr first overall; they've drafted 4 defensive players. this franchise has never given this poor guy a chance. kubiak was the first time they've shown any commitment to him in five years.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not only that, but they've drafted defensive players that probably wouldn't have been picked that high by anybody else (except for Dunta):

Jason Babin and Travis Johnson were first round picks desinged to fit a 3-4 defense that no longer exists. Babin cost us multiple later picks as well... and for a team that has ZERO depth, that's a huge catastrophy.

All I asked, from day ONE, is that they make a concerted effort to build the offensive line. Defenses can be impacted by one player, and be revolutionized overnight (albeit, Mario still has a ways to go)... but o-lines take both talent and TIME.

They've already wasted FOUR years, with zero talent up front, and now that they finally start addressing it... injuries hit to Flannagan and Spencer (thus increasing the time it will take for the unit to gel).

12. Hey Now!

and buchanon cost us two more first day picks; 4 in all to reel in a situational pass rusher and a back-up CB. but it's david carr's fault...

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep... and he's in his 5th year.... he should know how to lead an NFL team because he was a #1 pick!

Lets forget about the fact that this franchise has yet to field a legitimate NFL team... they were a poorly constructed expansion franchise secondary to the expansion draft... none of their young "cornerstones" were able to flourish without a foundation in place (not suprising)... they've yet to sign a FA that makes a substantial difference (mostly due to the lack of fundamental foundations in place)... and they've now cleaned house, have an entirely new GM, coach, coaching staff, and philosophy.

But, we should really expect playoffs or 8 win seasons, since this is year 5 and all :rolleyes: ... and if you're really expecting that, just take a look closer and ask yourself... "Year 5 of what?"

14. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

This is a pointless argument

Argue all you want. Right now the fact is the title of this thread. Carr is doing his part, arguably more and the rest of our team is not. That is how it stands 2 GAMES INTO THIS NEW SEASON. Wait and see on Carr's performance for the rest of the season and depending on that, then crap all over the guy if you want to. As of right now criticizing his play is a pointless argument because his is playing well.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WTF is this, the Nick and Ric show? :confused:
    Double-you, tee, eff, man.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

WTF. I never knew it was 2 first round picks for that loser!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

first DAY picks

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

2 first day picks, not 1st round picks...a 2nd and 3rd rounder, I believe.

Regardless, thats waaaaaaaaaaay too much to give up. Horrible deal.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Other than the fumbles and and early jitters, I think Carr played fairly well yesterday, and I was most impressed with this look off of the safety on the Andre Johnson TD pass.

He is pretty accurate, and I see major improvement, and I do not think the coaches have done him any favors with their lousy game plans so far.

Also, I can not for the life of me figure out why they put DD on IR, if there is a chance for him to play this year, and if not, then why not cut him all together.

I think Kubiak has some learning to do too.

DD

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

wtf? DaDa giving credit where credit is due???

[​IMG]