1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr Playing Well, Rest of team sucks...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Joshaaronb, Sep 17, 2006.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i pay attention to defensive players.

2. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Ok, I agree. Consistent offensive flow will greatly improve our chances all around.

3. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Think that was good, wait until you see week 2! Yes, most Carr's numbers we in garbage time and largely cosmetic but call me crazy the offense the last 1 1/2 quarters showed something we havent seen probably in at least 2 years oh yes, rhythm. Carr's rating in Indy game 140.2. Huh, he's never had numbers across the board this good.

40 comp-53 attempts for 427 yds. 4 TDs and 0 Ints. Over 70% completion rate, wow! Again, maybe Kuby knows a thing or two about QB grooming. One things for certain, Carr is not giving away games. He's playing smarter with fewer mistakes.

But for you naysayers, only time will tell if he really is legit but as of right now the improving has started with Mr Carr.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I fully expect Kubiak to say that. He has consistently said he will be hard on David this year, and I don't expect that to be any different after a 43 point drubbing by a division rival. David needs that criticism, and he needs to continue to get better. What I'm tired of is this continual fallacy being perpetrated on the BBS that he is "damaged goods", is not improving and will never be the franchise quarterback that we need. Especially when all the facts indicate STRONGLY otherwise.

5. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I love his arm strength and he can make good throws. I also like his toughness and his running speed. I do not like his playmaking ability. I do not like his timing on throws and I do not like the way he struggles to read the defense.

What complicates any evaluation is that he has poor protection and feels pressure every pass play.

The reason I think he struggle reading defenses is that he appears to think instead of just play off instinct. He looks tentative and doesn't show confidence in making throws downfield.

I think he probably is a heck of a practice player, but he needs more confidence in his receivers down the field. Andre Johnson can flat go get the ball, he is tall and strong. Just keep throwing it to him, same for Moulds.

Carr just looks like he lets the defense determine how well he plays. He has to put pressure on the defense. Don't worry about losing or interceptions, make plays. There are other tentative QB's in the league but they don't take their team to the playoffs.

I think Carr would be adequate if he was more confident and started slinging the ball to his receivers. He needs that gunslinger mentality that Manning, Farve, Breese, even Bledsoe has it. Most good QB's that win have talent around them and have alot of confidence.

OK- the offensive line really has struggled with speed rush from the outside and max protection packages, they are more of a problem than Carr, but I don't know that I see the leadership and confidence there.

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I agree somewhat, but about your point with wide receivers: David threw the ball 26 times yesterday. 20 of those throws were to wide receivers. And he spread the wealth pretty well too, almost Brady-esque...go look at the box score. He looked more confident throwing the ball yesterday than I have seen in a long time. But I do agree that he needs to develop more of a killer instinct -- put more pressure on the defense instead of the other way around, make them react to you. More leadership. But it's just two weeks into the season. There's lots of room for improvement. But I just can't say that I am disappointed in his progress so far...there's little to be disappointed about.

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

He impressed me yesterday. Especially the throws to Andre.
    He can make the throws, he needs to keep doing it. I would like to see that pressure on the defense, take those shots downfield and do it like you believe in yourself.

Timing is an issue, he tends to hold the ball too long, needs to have confidence and throw the ball before the receiver comes out of the break.

Maybe he should start throwing more out routes to improve his timing.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Last 1 and 1/2 quarters? You mean when indy was on cruise control?

Rocket River

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Indy scored 23 of their points within the last 1.5 quarters. They were still playing hard ball.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How Many of them won?

Rocket River

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you say so . . ..
    I thought is was our inability to stop them

Rocket River

12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

All you people that are jumping on Carr's love train. I don't care what stats he put up. Going into the 4th the score was 30-3

I said 30-3...

THIRTY TO THREE.

Whatever carr did in the 4th doesn't matter to me, what matters is the Texans offense played 3 quarters and the score was THIRTY TO THREE

I thought Carr would be bust from the day we drafted him and I stand by that to this day

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

You can't just look at stats and the highlights on ESPN...I saw the first half of the game and Carr sucks...He needs to relax and let the game come to him...

Our D does suck, but a lot of D's suck when playing Manning...We should have a good shot of winning against the Redskins...

btw, I only watched half the game in Dallas as right after the colts scored in their first possession of the 3rd qtr., GD CBS ub here in Dallas switched the game to Buffalo and Miami... :mad: That game sucked more than the Texans colts...

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You have to understand the game plan. We were running the ball, in an attempt to keep their offense off the field, wear down their defense, and keep our defense fresh for the later stages of the ballgame. The offense wasn't opened up until the 4th quarter. That wasn't David's fault. They were trying to establish the running game and couldn't get it done. The problems in the running game and the problems in the defensive backfield are what led to 30-3, not David Carr. He doesn't call the plays.

You have to recognize that when your passing game was opened up, that Carr did look good. You can see the difference in him in the look offs. That look off on the TD pass was sensational. That was ESPN stuff in a tight ballgame.

Next week, I would bet on Kubiak opening up the offense a little bit earler and maybe using the passing game to stimulate the running game, with a lot of play fakes, etc. And I think our running game will be improved. Teams know we are trying to establish the run, so we may as well come out and throw it around and loosen up the box. Then again, I ain't Kubes. He has his way of doing it. He may run Gado up the gut the first 3 plays.

But all in all, Carr has looked very good this year. Once again, he didn't call the plays. It was Kubiak's gameplan and play calls and the lack of a running game that kept our offense dead in the water for 3 quarters. And it was our defensive backfield that gave up all those passing yards.

15. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Updated QB ratings

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

QUARTERBACK RATING RAT

Rex
    Grossman 1. Rex Grossman, CHI 128.7
    2. Charlie Batch, PIT 126.5
    3. David Carr, HOU 123.7
    4. Philip Rivers, SD 107.4
    5. Chad Pennington, NYJ 107.1

3rd best in the NFL with the horrible protection he has been given. I'll take that 8 days a week.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't really understand strategy/playbooks, etc., but it seems that most successful NFL passing offenses really know how to use all areas of the field, including/especially the middle (TE, receiver, RB, whatever) of the field 10 to 15 yards out.

The Rams were great at it when they won. Peyton and the Colts also really know how to exploit that area. When the Chiefs have been going good the last few years they've included Tony Gonzalez up the middle.

I have no factual data to prove this, but it certainly seems the Texans passing attack doesn't quite throw to the middle of the field as much.

Overall, though, Carr has been playing much better than expected. The team just has no running game right now.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm done taking this stat seriously. i thought carr had a fine game yesterday. but wow. this stat is "dead to me!" :D

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

carr was, technically-speaking, better than "fine." he was, in fact, great. with no context, of course. how you choose to spin the context is your business.

but it's not like the stat is spinning 4/26; 0 TDs and 3 INTs; the guy had 4 incompletions all day and three of those were dropped. it was, by any measure, a great day and the rating reflects that; unfortunately, it has yet to develop a formula that quantifies "playing from behind in the 4th quarter of a 30-3 blow-out."

until it does, here's the thing: if he plays like that every week, the texans will win a lot of games. that's kind of the point of the stat. right now, qb is the least of the texans' problems.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

My ESL *ss is having a difficult time figuring out how you meant this post, MadMax. Did you like the stat? Did you not like Carr during this game, what's up? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen, guys.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree with you. it's the least of their problems. but an index stat should, in theory, point me to the best QB's in the league. i'm a little less than inspired by that list. as you said, it can't take context into consideration. that's fine. it just makes me think less of the stat than i used to.