1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr headed to Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2011.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Football Hall tabs Class of 2011

The latest class of College Football Hall of Famers is loaded on the defensive line.

Defensive tackles Marty Lyons of Alabama, Russell Maryland of Miami, Doug English of Texas and Rob Waldrop of Arizona were among the 14 players chosen for induction.

Also headed for the Hall are Deion Sanders, who turned cornerback into a glamour position at Florida State from 1985-88, and former Michigan coach Lloyd Carr, who won 75 percent of his games and the 1997 national championship in 13 seasons leading the Wolverines.

The rest of the players in the class revealed Tuesday were: Florida receiver Carlos Alvarez, Oregon State fullback Bill Enyart, Georgia defensive back Jake Scott, Nebraska guard Will Shields, Minnesota quarterback Sandy Stephens, West Virginia linebacker Darryl Talley, Oklahoma halfback Clendon Thomas and Michigan State receiver Gene Washington.

Fisher DeBerry, who led Air Force to a winning record in 17 of his 23 seasons as Falcons coach, will also be inducted in December.

The Hall of Fame selection of 1995 Heisman Trophy winner Eddie George from Ohio State was announced Monday.

Lyons, Maryland and Carr took part in a news conference Tuesday at the NASDAQ MarketSite in Times Square.

"As my mother would say, and she said it a lot of times to me, 'Son, you've led a charmed life," Maryland said.

Maryland was born in Chicago and was lightly recruited out of high school there, but went on to star on some of Miami's greatest teams. He helped the Hurricanes win two national titles from 1986-90 before becoming the first overall pick in the 1991 draft by the Dallas Cowboys.

"Twenty-five years ago, not even knowing I was going to play college football at a high level, and here 25 years later after having played 10 years in the NFL ... but some of my best times, where I was formed, were at the University of Miami," he said.

Lyons grew up in Florida and settled in the New York area after a long NFL career with the Jets.

He played in Tuscaloosa from 1975-78 and got choked up talking about his old college coach, Bear Bryant, his Alabama teammates and the Crimson Tide fans, many of whom are still dealing with the aftermath of deadly tornados that swept through the state last month.

"Right now they're going through a difficult time in their life with the devastating tornado," he said. "But come Dec. 6 I'm going to put them all on my back and we're going to get inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame."

English helped Texas to a pair of Southwest Conference championships, playing for the Longhorns from 1972-74.

Waldrop was the nose guard for Arizona's famed "Desert Swarm" defense. In his senior season of 1993, he won the Outland Trophy as the nation's top lineman.

link

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not cutting my hair until you change that thread title.

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'd be lying if I didn't first think of David "bust" Carr...:mad:

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Ugh I remembered the hope of picking up a guy who threw 40+ TDs his last college year

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The more you look like Jesus the better.

1 person likes this.