1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony trade talks heat up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmaculent, Sep 24, 2010.

1. tmaculent

tmaculent Member

The Denver Nuggets are having serious discussions about a four-way trade that would land Carmelo Anthony with the New Jersey Nets, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

Anthony
    The proposed deal, sources said, also would involve the Utah Jazz and the Charlotte Bobcats. It would deliver Nets rookie forward Derrick Favors, Jazz veteran Andrei Kirilenko and multiple first-round picks to Denver in exchange for their franchise player, potentially bringing a resolution to Anthony's uncertain future before the Nuggets hold their first practice of the new season.

Sources told ESPN.com that the deal, which has yet to be finalized, also would send former All-Star point guard Devin Harris to Charlotte, with Bobcats forward Boris Diaw moving to Utah.

The four teams, said one source close to the talks, are "seriously engaged" after extensive talks Thursday.

However, one obstacle is Anthony's willingness to sign a contract extension with the Nets. A source told ESPN.com that the Nets will not go through with the trade -- even if Denver is ready to pull the trigger -- unless Anthony commits to signing a contract extension, as Kevin Garnett did as part of the mega-trade that sent him from Minnesota to Boston in July 2007.

Because Anthony has the ability to become a free agent at season's end -- which is the hammer that has enabled his agent, Leon Rose, to apply such pressure to the Nuggets in hopes of forcing a trade before the start of the season -- New Jersey is unwilling to sacrifice assets such as Favors and Harris without a guarantee that Anthony will be there for the long term.

ESPN.com reported earlier this week that Anthony's representatives have been pushing Denver to deal the 26-year-old to New York or Chicago, his two preferred destinations, but the Knicks lack the trade assets required to tempt Denver and the Bulls have consistently refused to make center Joakim Noah available, trying instead to sell the Nuggets on a package headlined by swingman Luol Deng.

The Nuggets have offered Anthony a three-year extension worth $65 million, but he has not signed the deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5610989

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not a bad haul for everyone. Makes great sense.

Charlotte gets the PG they need after losing Felton.

Utah loses some Kirilenko salary this year in exchange for taking on one year worth of Diaw's future salary. They also beef up their frontline while Okur recovers. (I wonder how Chubby Boris and Jerry Sloan will get along, though :) )

Denver gets fill-in at SF, a high prospect and picks, so that they have a year to decide whether to keep going or rebuild when everyone (Kenyon Martin, Kirilenko, Smith, and possiblly Nene and Billups) can be cut free.

Nets get Melo.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Bobcats makeout like bandits. :eek:

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

And Melo gets to play with Brook Lopez and ... Terrence Williams? Why would he sign there unless LaLa really is running the show?

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Why would the Jazz want Diaw?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Of course Melo's husband is running the show. Melo is a good girl and knows her place.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It would be a good deal all the way around, it really would.

I'd have to hand it to Utah, if this went through. Not that I'm some great fan of Boris Diaw---he kinda slacked a bit after getting his contract, showing up after that summer fat and out of shape. To be fair, the same player can look like a stud in one system and a dud in another. If he wound up in Utah, he'd better show up ready to work.

But I digress. Utah's ship was listing. They righted the vessel and look to be in good shape. The b**ta*ds.

Although someone needs to recheck the trade's particulars. Michael Jordan must be playing Jedi mind tricks: "You don't need another 1st round draft pick." "We don't need another first round draft pick." "That isn't what you're looking for." "That isn't what we're looking for." "I can go on about my business." "You can go on about your business." "While you're at it, why don't YOU take Devin Harris and YOU send me Deron Williams?" "Yes, while we're at it....HEY!"

8. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Kirilenko is going out, no? It would be to get rid of his contract I'm guessing. He'd replace Kirilenko.

9. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

dang if this goes down, I don't know if I'll be hating the Jazz quite as much.

With Boozer and Kyle Korver gone, and now the possibility of Andrei Kirilenko leaving??

Hating them just won't be the same.

10. Raven

Raven Member

You answered your own question.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With a name like Boris, they thought he must be white.

2 people like this.
  12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

As long as Melo doesn't want to sign the extension, we're still in the mix. I hope he sticks to his word.

Dude, we have enough history with the Jazz to hate them for 6 lifetimes. Boozer, AK and Ashton leaving doesn't change a thing.

13. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

at first i thought the title meant carmelo was going to the heat. hahahah i was like no ****ing way

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

He's pretty light for a black guy

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

16. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

True. AK is who I hated the most on the Jazz, half by the way he flops and other half by the way he looks, but I'm sure I could find new players to equally hate.

17. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

He is now. Big Z and 5 first round picks for Carmelo. Pat Riley worked out a deal with the league since the salaries didnt match.

18. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

Why would Melo want to sign an extension with the Nets? IF they trade away Harris and Favors to gain Melo they will be a 6-8 seed in the EAST.

I don't think this is gonna happen.

19. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

True. Gutted Nets team can't be on Melo's approved list. This won't happen if Devin Harris is part of the deal.

20. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Is it for some reason difficult to understand the purpose of the stickied Carmelo Anthony thread at the top of the GARM?

The why the **** is there a new thread for every single ******* news article in the world on this subject????