1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony Available to Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, May 9, 2008.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

No, I can bet the Nuggets would want a McGrady. Why? Because he has true leadership unlike A.I. If Nuggets need a leader, they'll want players like Mcgrady who could actually make all other players better.

But Anthony on the other hand is missing big chunks from his game. He is missing solid offensive moves, and he does not have a good passing game. He cannot make players around him better, which is what Nuggets desperately need right now. Nuggets want a player who could exploit their talent, McGrady is one of few players in the nba who could do that. As a matter of fact, I think the nuggets would gladly trade A.I for nash if it was possible.

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would trade him for anyone but Yao and T-Mac. This team needs Yao to be the foundation and T-Mac to run smoothly. Take either one out and put Melo in and we are a lesser team.

Now, you trade anyone else they want. Anyone. I'll gladly take Melo, baggage and all. Dude is a great player even with his flaws. And he doesn't get hurt as much as our 2 players do.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

AI is not a leader? He lead his team to the NBA Finals. Something neither Yao or T-Mac has even come close to reaching. I love T-Mac but if he had as much heart and desire as AI, we would have been out the first round by now.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Quit it with the effing heart thing. What makes you think he has no heart? Playing with injuries instead of sitting through it?

People here think McGrady got no heart because he doesn't have that look on his face, that is it. Well a man playing with as much injuries as he does certainly shows more heart than any other team.

By the way, A.I did lead his team to the finals, I'll give you that. Put Rockets in the east now, see where they'll be.

Let me ask you a question, why is Philly doing so much better after Iverson left, and why are the Nuggets no where near as good as the rockets? A.I is no doubt their best player, but as a leader and a PG, he cannot bring his team together. This is why I don't think he is a leader. He may have had it before, but that leadership mentality he has doesn't exactly work everywhere. A.I's mentality is shoot and shoot and shoot. It works if he was in the east and at his early years, but it doesn't necessarily mean it works for the rest of your career.

If A.I decides to put his passing game on, I'll call him a leader. Until then, I cannot see him as a leader since he cannot make his players better. His team is way too talented right now, but yet they cannot even come close to what Rockets have done without Yao ming....

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have always thought Melo was highly overated, that he was great on offense, but just didn't try on defense, and his team play was pathetic.

All that being said...heck yes, I would take him on the Rockets.....

DD

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Trading Tmac for Melo is a different story. I don't think it would work for either team though. Melo plays alot closer to the rim and we wouldn't have any decent guard play. Tmac is a playmaker but the nuggets aren't smart enough (or coached well enough) offensively to benefit from it. They always go iso which doesn't utilize his passing, and they would be too stacked at SG and depleted in other areas.

Still, i think the rockets would do the trade. Even if you become a worse team most GM's would jump at the chance to have a 24 yr old star for a 29 yr old one. Kobe may be better than Lebron but Mitch would trade him for Lebron in a second.

7. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

After seeing what he did on the court and off it this year, I'll pass. Unless of course we could get him for Head + BJax + Loren Woods. :p

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I never said T-Mac had NO heart, I just wished he had AS MUCH heart as AI does. T-Mac can be just as good as Kobe or Lebron, and on some nights, he is that good. But a big reason why people no longer put him in that group is because he doesn't play at his highest level every single night. There are games where he imposes his will and there are games where he is passive. We all know how great T-Mac can be, we've seen it, but you have got to wonder why he doesn't bring it every night. I'm one of T-Mac biggest supporters since Day one, so don't come back with the T-Mac hater crap.

Also, ever since joining the Nugget, AI has been more of a passer/playmaker than he was in Philly. Problem is, that is not his strength. His strength is being the scorer that he is. For Denver to be successful, AI needs to go back to being AI. It's like trying to make Jason Kidd a scorer instead of playing his strengths as a PG. And it's not like the Sixers without AI are better than the Nuggets with AI. A big part why the Nuggets aren't as good as they should be is because they don't play a lick of defense. You can't put all that on AI, just like you can't blame T-Mac for not getting passed the Jazz.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I can't put it all on A.I, that is true. But the minimum expectation given to A.I when he came to the nuggets is make them a contender. Yet that has not happened. I also doubt that he can return to his original scoring status. His scoring does not apply to every team. He can't be expected to always be a scorer. His size makes him less effective against bigger players. I think he needs to develop court sense and playmaker mentality .

If A.I develops player mentality, nuggets will be a dangerous team, but he hasn't done so yet. IMHO, players who develop the playmaker mentality are matured veteran players. They cannot expect themselves to be scorers till the end. This is also what I like about McGrady, he sets the example of the leader. If his shots aren't going in, he passes. He didn't exactly have a playmaker mentality in his days did he? But he put up bigger numbers than A.I. Iveson needs to know his limits. If he needs to realize passing is the most important thing is team basketball, scoring by a single player leads your team nowhere.

10. McYao

McYao Member

And that's exactly why melo would not fit in here..he also needs to realize passing is the most important thing in team bball.

11. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Luther Head, Landry, Battier and Jackson for Melo.

12. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Nooooooo, don't want him.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When Carmelo plays for a coach,organization,and with players on the same page he is a different player.I'd welcome him with open arms if the price was right.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Co- signed.

DD

15. Man

Man Contributing Member

I wouldn't want Carmelo..unless we wouldn't have to give up much.

16. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

Actually looking at his stats, his FG% is trending up to 50% (last year .492), meaning he has improved on learning how to take smart shots. At 6'8" SF he does pose alot of matchup problems at his position and has been durable.

Decent rebounder but not a good passer or defender. Not worth entertaining this trade considering what Denver will ask from the Rockets to give him up.

17. sook

sook Rookie

Melo but not for mcgrady............or yao

And hell yes the Nuggets would want to trade Tracy for Melo....he made chicken **** look like chicken salad this yr imagine what he'd do with their talent! Denver was an 8th seed and we were the 5th. AI is their real problem the guys is GREAT but he needs to play more team ball, all the teams hes been on have been doomed to mediocrity with the exception of the team that went to the finals when the east was extra weak

18. weakbomb

weakbomb Member

Denver Nuggets will listen offers for Melo. Houston Rockets needs changes maybe he is Carmelo:)

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

denver is on the same page. before this year, they expected to contend. both melo and AI predicted their team would win 60 games. they made the trade for AI to win NOW.

he's just too young right now and has a game that is just about scoring. it's not really his fault that he's not an all-around player.

remember, before the playoffs started, he got a DUI right after a loss near the end. he just has to grow up.

20. luhbron

luhbron Member

I can understand not wanting Melo for the price of T-Mac or Yao...but those of you that don't want Melo even if we didn't have to part with our 2 superstars are insane.

You CANNOT pass that kind of opportunity up. Our team is built on 2 amazing, yet extremely fragile, superstars. If one goes down, the team is not strong enough to compete any more and its another waste of a season. I don't know about you but I am sick and tired of seeing that happen. Melo may have off court issues but he provides damn good insurance in case one of our big 2 go down.

Not to mention the enormous upgrade that Adelman is compared to Karl..Melo moves decently well without the ball right now. Put him in Adelman's system and be amazed.