1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carloz Boozer: Unnatural Basketball Move = Flagrant 2?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dookiester, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ibm

ibm Member

exactly right.

landry says it's unintentional. me as a fan not so convinced.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It should have been a loose ball foul, and that's it. He was trying to box out Landry. I don't know what Kobe was trying to do, other than smash Jaric in the face.

3. sime0n

sime0n Member

I can't believe you like Boozer...he cheated a blind guy!

4. WildSweet&Cool

What really pisses me off is...

It wasn't called a flagrant 2...
    It wasn't called a flagrant 1...
    It wasn't called a foul AT ALL!!!!

NO FOUL WAS CALLED AT ALL!!!

We didn't even get free throws from it!

Our guy lost a tooth and THERE WAS NO CALL?!

Can somebody please explain to me how that is possible!!??!?

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

How is it possible? B/c Landry is a faackin man and didn't flop around like a little bia when he got his nose and mouth jacked up.

6. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Yeah exactly. Landry's tough as nails and has heart to boot. I sincerely hopes he has a big future in the NBA. Not crazy big because that'd be waaaaay to much overreaction, but I hope he becomes a solid PF with a $5-7 million contract per season.

Landry is saying it's unintentional because he has balls and you know Boozer better have a dentist on speed dial after game 4 if tries to pull that sh** on Landry again.

7. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

No harm, no foul

ERRR WAIT!

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Someone more talented than I should do a video compilation of the Jazz flops and then end it with Landry being a man. That would be both entertaining and frustrating.

As to the Boozer spin, I watched that a few times and he clearly picks up his pivot foot at the end and during the spin he slides his foot around.

Now, someone could do that move legitimately, but Carlos Boozer ain't no Dream.

Edit: I think the Boozer hit was intentional in that he knew where Landry was and was blindly trying to keep him from getting the ball.

9. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Not a flagrant, but an obvious foul. Scola has been called for 2 such fouls and if they're called on one end they need to be called on the other. WTB ref consistency.

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

the only way the NBA is going to have consistency is if we either replace all the refs or have them start getting paid by the mob again. (if it's not still happening.. I am still not convinced that there isn't some shadiness going on)

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd say the same thing I said about the Kobe foul. It looks like he's flailing that arm in the air to get his balance right to go after the ball once he touches the ground. I don't think he was aiming for anybody, I don't think he was boxing out, and I don't think it looks unnatural. It should still be a foul, of course; any play that results in someone losing a tooth should probably be a foul. All that said, I still hate Boozer (and Kobe), and it's too bad I can't justify calling the play dirty.

12. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

13. mister pc

mister pc Member

at the very least it should have been a foul. Landry took a shot to the face, then he threw the ball in the backcourt because he couldnt see and the Rockets lost possession. Im not one to complain about officiating, I consider that mostly a cop out. But watching yesterday's game I could not help but notice that the Jazz were getting very favorable treatment. The Rockets got called for many small fouls and the Jazz got away with flopping and hacking. I hope for more balance from the refs in the next game.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

ofcourse it is. He was boxing out with his freaking elbows. He didn;t swing out the arm till it was obvious the rebound would hit the floor. The motion was to keep landry from running right past him.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

From that board:

"Archie Moses wrote:

I'm not being serious about this. I just think Stern screwed the Suns over last year and I'm making a point. I want the Rockets to be at full strength when we beat them. GVC, pull the stick out of your ass."

Douchbag is blind to the fact that we are NOT at full strengh. There's this one 7'6" Chinese dude that we've been missing for a couple of months now.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Somebody with a contact to the team...

GET THESE VIDS to Stu Jackson, by way of the Rockets STAT!!!

This is EXACTLY what Kobe did... only worse.

[​IMG]

#36 IROC it, Apr 25, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  17. FFz

FFz Member

Come on... the difference is that the 2 elbows that kobe threw were in the regular season. No one is going to get suspended for that **** in the playoffs.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Not intentional.

But a foul nontheless. Refs missed that one badly.

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

Actually I was worried about Hayes running to the court with 0.2 sec left. But I think he is fine given

1) He didnt know there was still 0.2 left on the game clock. 0.2 sec and during the game, there is a big difference.

2)He didnt run onto the court. From the TV camera angle, he was out of bounds.

20. bloop

bloop Member

honestly?

it's because Landry was a man and kept playing and went for the ball

you have to remember that NBA refs are the worst refs in major professional sports, not only in america but worldwide. instead of calling the foul they're taught to act politically

there's no question that a ref was in position to see the play under the basket. in any other sport, a rule about unnecessary contact is a rule about unnecessary contact. you see a guy not even move his feet and instead throw his arm out at face level at another guy going for a rebound... once you see that blow land on the dude's face you blow your whistle and enforce the rule. simple

but the NBA is about all kinds of other crap. even if the rule is clear: "unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent" they dont enforce the letter of the law, they take into account who is fouling whom, how much time is left on the clock and a myriad of other non-basketball factors.

in practice what it means is that the ref basically has to think you get hit "hard enough" to blow the whistle. even when the rule is clear and the contact is clearly unnecessary. moving your feet, bodying the other guy, using your hands on the lower body for the rebound are all legit contact hitting a player because he's in better position than you to grab the rebound is not. but because landry kept playing instead of falling down to the ground and flailing like a p***y, he does not get the call.

if it was immediately obvious to the refs that landry was bleeding profusely and had broken a tooth or his nose they would have called it, but he kept playing and because landry didn't "sell" it utah was not penalized.

what do you expect? NBA is borderline sports/borderline "sports entertainment." you cannot expect NBA refs to do what they're paid for and actually enforce the letter of the law, they're too busy influencing the outcome of games

and DD, you can use your hands to box out but obviously contact to the face while boxing out is not necessary contact. striking someone like that is a flagrant 1 at least... by the NBA's own legal definitions and by NBA precedent