1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Delfino has offer from Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Jul 28, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd rather have Diebler over here on a minimum deal.

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because who else is going to accept a one year deal? Cap flexibility next summer is a big part of Morey's plan.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

the Rockets signed Roy Hibbert and Goran Dragic?! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We must be making a trade

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Part of the Howard deal.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Delfino can play. Could plug a hole if we finally deal Martin. Looking at the team minus Martin you could actually make an argument that Delfino would be the best offensive player on the roster. Hopefully it's a one year deal and that's why he's not interested.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Delfino is pretty good when healthy. A nice different weapon compared to Parsons. Getting him on the cheap makes a lot of sense if Howard/Bynum gets here.

No good when below 100% health though (and he often has been the last few years).

I think he'll just go to Europe though, if it's under 4 mil and one year. He could easily make that much in Europe.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Huh. One year deal at a low amount with a team option for another.

That doesn't sound like Daryl at all :)

9. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

A back up PG. who we may, or may not have ATM

10. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Well NM I thought he played point, but I guess he's a typical two guard,
    with the ability to sub in for Parsons...he'd play good at bk up point I think. He's 6'6?
    Did not know that

11. Garner

Garner Member

Delfino is a wing.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Delfino is a swingman.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

he's mainly a SF at this point. but you could play him next to Parsons, sure.
    no backup PG.

14. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Ya I regressed I was apparently thinking of some other guy, then looked his size up...looks like he plays best as a combo, able to sub for rip n tayshawn when n DET....so looks like he can fill a role on 2 guard and parson backup...

15. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Ya and your right his assists def. don't look like he'd be a good distributor of the ball, he's a shooter haha for sure.

My bad didn't realize his size I thought he was a 2 guard/Point combo..obv I was wrong when I checked his stats

His stats are good for a role player we need as a vet to replace CLee, although
    everyone likes Lamb as the new CLee replacement, it could, or could not happen quick. He will be alright, I just am banking on Jones to be the best project.

Then again skinny players can make it in this L, so Lamb could quickly become a KMart type of player, better D hopefully, kind of how, Martin rose from 2nd rd pick to 20ppg in a snap...I just think Lamb won't be all about standing around with the pick n roll, he's going to have to move without the ball, and slash.
    I think Delfino is a good vet needed on a team that is either going to tank, or ball if the "trade" for a superstar happens...we don't have any leadership, not that Delfino is, but not really much veteran leadership, but I do that Camby trade all day, and let Scola go try n win in his last few years.
    Good signing DM;)

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-la-free-agent-profile-carlos-delfino-20120726,0,5607046.story

Player: Carlos Delfino

Type of free agent: Unrestricted

Positives: Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak suggested after Antawn Jamison's introductory news conference Wednesday that he's looking to add a backcourt player. Delfino would fit that need, plus give the Lakers another wing presence. His 6-foot-6, 230-pound frame enables him to do both. Delfino provides considerable scoring punch, averaging nearly double-digit points in the past four seasons both in attacking the rim (50%) and shooting from within 10 to 15 feet (50%).

Delfino provides more than secondary scoring in relief of Kobe Bryant. He would also fit in with Mike Brown's defensive philosophies. Delfino has already played under defensive-minded coaches in Milwaukee (Scott Skiles) and Detroit (Larry Brown). He would have a minimal transition to Brown's defensive principles and provide a defensive upgrade in the Lakers' backcourt. His 1.3 steals-per-game average in the past three seasons suggests he's well versed in reading the passing lanes and rotating properly.
    Delfino should also enter training camp in good shape. He's playing in the 2012 London Olympics for Argentina.

Negatives: Delfino has shown bouts of inconsistency in his play and his health. He was inefficient with his shots in isolation (38.3%) and spot ups (38.3%), according to Synergy Sports Technology. Delfino has averaged a career 36.2% from three-point range, which would exacerbate one of the Lakers' biggest weaknesses. And he has played a full 82-game season only twice in his seven-year career. Considering he underwent surgery this off-season to repair a hernia, it's possible something else could crop up next season.

Verdict: It's safe to cross off the Bucks as a possible destination spot. Delfino recently vented to Hoopsworld that his former team hasn't even reached out to him. So perhaps the Lakers could benefit in that Delfino hasn't attracted much interest. Still, Delfino is coming off a three-year deal worth $10.5 million. The Lakers' interest in him should hinge on whether he's willing to take the veteran's minimum ($1.4 million).

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This would be awesome if we could get him on a 1 year cheap deal. Delfino's a pretty good player, would be good for a 6th man role along with a veteran leadership on the team.

18. NickKent

NickKent Member

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

He's a lights out 3pt shooter.

20. conquistador#11

i'd rather have manu!

(insert o'reilly?)