1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 6 years, $200 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 10, 2023.

1. CinematicFusion

2. Major

Major Member

Or it was the Twin's tradeoff for paying him such a high AAV for the first 6 guaranteed years. They may simply not have been willing to only do a 6 yr / $200MM deal.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Except it was. Everything went wrong for Correa with a new injury and he still got 7 years / $235MM out of the strategy he pursued, with $305MM if he stays healthy. Basically the downside scenario for him has him locking up a minimum of $75MM more than the Astros' offer. Without the new injury, he was at $350MM. In a worst-case scenario of a career-ending injury, he would have had $105MM over 3 years. There was no scenario the Astros offer was remotely competitive.

Wulaw Horn, everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Well played, I got a good chuckle out of reading that and hearing ONJs voice

Yordan The Great likes this.
  5. CinematicFusion

Astros offer was a great offer. 160 for 5 years.
    But… who cares. Correa is long gone and Astros have another ring and the ALCS and WS MVP playing SS.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't recall the offer ever being over $30M AAV?

Am I wrong?

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Clearly I was. I just read multiple articles from Nov 2021 stating 5/$160 was the offer.

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

Correa has agreed to 31 years/ $865 million this off season with vesting of 4/$70

Not sure if any player will ever beat 35/$935 mil.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The last reported offer I heard was 6-$180 or right at $30M AAV. There was some debate on whether that offer ever got past Boros to Correa. But PLEASE, PLEASE don't trust my memory. I don't anymore. But it's a good starting point for research.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only screw up happened inside the plate in his leg. The man is smart enough to planand adjust for another payday, esp if the sting of not getting that 300M jumbo contract to a bigly team motivates his off-season training.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's clear that the Astros offer was never going to be accepted, but it does make me feel a little better that their offer was not so far off from what he ultimately signed compared to the original deals he was looking at. When they made that offer, it felt, at the time, like something they threw out there knowing he wouldn't accept but they didn't want to appear like they never tried. It seemed like a PR move. But in hindsight with these teams having concerns about his ankle, now I wonder if the offer wasn't as much about saving face but genuinely what they thought he was worth with the health risks.

It's a minor thing, truly, but it does feel like the difference between something the Texans would do versus something the Astros would do.

I'm glad Carlos got his deal, finally. It's been such a mess to get there. It will be very interesting come 2028 to see how the Twins handle him. It would be pretty easy for them to prevent the 575 PA (I've seen tweets that say ABs but I'm assuming the contract is based on PA) by just resting him even when healthy. But a lot can change between now and then, so who knows.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Given there really isn't a need for Correa on the team, it is hard to complain, but given what he has ultimately gotten from the Twins, it is really disappointing that Correa didn't stay an Astro.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. CinematicFusion

A buddy of mine played golf with Crane and they thought the Correa deal was locked up last year. Took a flight that night and when he got off the plane… Correa had signed with Twins. Not sure what Astros final Offer was.

All worked out, Peña was the difference maker in the playoffs. Without him, we don’t win.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. Yordan The Great

So how does the vesting work?

Does he have to reach 575 ABs in ANY of the first 6 seasons? Or is that the number he must reach in year 6 of the contract (and then 550 in the 7th year, etc.)?

The wording made it sound like the 3rd year gives him the 7th year, 4th->8th, 5th->9th, 6th->10th.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

575 in year 6 to get year 7 guaranteed, 550 in 7 to get 8, 525 in 8 to get 9, and 502 in 9 to get 10. Twins also have option of just taking the extra year even if he misses the PAs.

16. Yordan The Great

Overly dramatic here.

We have to separate the $35 million he finally got from the Twins originally because that was a 1 year deal from jump.

The "mega" deal he got was 6 years 200 million.

5 years 160 was not far off from what he ultimately got.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

BINGO.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He had far better offers last season he chose to pass on, that's what he missed out on. The Astros offer was not competitive with those, and was still less than the Twins offer with a known injury.

He gambled on a short deal to make more money and lost because he aggravated an old injury, but he still will make more money than he would have if he took our offer.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

"Minnesota is where I wanted to be all along..."

20. RussE

RussE Member

Good…now enjoy playing in cold weather the next several years Carlos.