1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 6 years, $200 million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 10, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least now I have a reason to go to Target field other than the Stros series.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that it will make it harder to get younger players to sign extensions.

3. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

If he plays well and stays healthy, this setback might actually lead to more money in his career, when in 6 years the top salaries are more like 50 mil/yr.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

They didn't need doctors. Their policy has been Contract extensions of 6 years or less with Altuve being the exception. Long term injury risk is part and parcel of that policy. So it's not so incredible.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

This is the way it should be. Player assumes the risk and makes more. Team assumes the risk and receives a discount. It's not rocket science.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

So does he pull a Harden and say Philadelphia Minnesota is where I always wanted to be? ;)

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

IT must be really bad for him to give the Twins a team option for his age 36 season at a mere 10M. Carlos Beltran made something like 18M as a 39 year old signing with the Astros. If Correa is still productive at 34 the Twins have a real bargain on their hands with those wages. If he ends up being a HOF the Twins will exercize all 4 options and be happy for it and he will be underpaid as HOF guys routinely put up 2-3 WAR in their mid to late 30's.

Invisible Fan and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he's healthy, he'll vest those AB's and the salary goes up. If he's not healthy, the Twins will debate paying him $25 million for his age 33 season.

BigM likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

People here really hold a weird grudge against Correa.

10. mightybosstone

I'm curious how Twins fans would feel about the signing. You just watch the guy bail on your club to sign megadeals two other places only to ultimately settle for your team as his Plan C. At the end of the day, I guess you're just happy to have him on the roster given that you don't have many other stars in the clubhouse, but there's gotta be some odd feelings there toward him to start the season.

Personally, as an Astros fan, I have no ill will toward CC. He's an all-time great Astros shortstop, he left to go get paid and things ultimately worked out for us in the end. But I won't feel sorry for the guy either. He's making crazy money, and his career's not over. If he's still playing well at the end of the contract, he could still make that money at the end of his career. If he's worth it, he'll prove it.

jiggyfly and BigM like this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Minnesota fans shouldn’t feel anything negative toward him, he played well there and was open to going back if they were willing to pay him. They should be thrilled, it’s a fantastic signing at a great rate if he stays healthy.

Rock Block likes this.
  12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I think if they're somewhat logical, they should be stoked that they're bringing back an all-star level, foundational SS AND that their FO/owner was willing to go to $200m+. If they had offered the $300m contract in the first place, he probably would have resigned there earlier.

If they see him as anything other than a merc going for the most money he could get, then that's foolish of them.

13. jayfree

jayfree Member

In a nutshell

METS-
    [​IMG]

CORREA-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TWINS-
    [​IMG]

CORREA-
    [​IMG]

ALSO CORREA-
    [​IMG]

#73 jayfree, Jan 10, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah but if he beats the options that’s a 4/70 deal at age 33. If he’s still good that’s underpaid. And that’s his best case scenario. He doesn’t believe he will be good at 34.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well he did say he loved Juicy Lucy’s, the MN State Fair, and that Rocco Baldelli was a great manager. I expect him to say “Go Vikes” and lead the SKOL chant.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And if he’s not good at 34, the Twins won’t pick up the team option.

Also, despite the no trade clause, if the Twins struggle or bottom out at some point over the next 6 years, he will likely be a trade chip to a team he approves.

sealclubber1016 and Nook like this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Oh I understand the benefit from the steins perspective. My point is that he wouldn’t give them that option if he thought he was likely to still be a good player. It’s sad. The physical must have convinced even him he doesn’t have long term potential for greatness.

18. lalala902102001

I think when two teams and I'm sure mulitple doctors come to the same conclusion that Correa's ankle won't hold up it probably won't hold up. $200 million is probably the best he can get at this point. I'm happy for CC. This is the weirdest MLB FA saga I've ever seen.

jiggyfly and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No need for the dramatics, regardless of your bias.

If there’s non-union as a result of the fracture, the need for revision (and a lengthy recovery) is higher. The concern isn’t necessarily that he will just lose it… it’s that he’s going to re-injure it, require surgery, and miss time at some point.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Yordan The Great

Let's take a physical, physical
    I want you to take a physical
    Let me hear your ankle talk, ankle talk

Great song, odd lyrics however

Rock Block and CinematicFusion like this.