1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Qan

Qan Member

That's why I will always appreciate Correa. Everything is in jest, but deep down we all love Correa.....just not his price tag. I wish he could come back and play another position of need.

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He just opted out of his contract

He is going to the dodgers, yankees, or orioles.

Book it.

#1542 Tomstro, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think the Cubs will also be in the mix.

Tomstro likes this.
  4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Would be poetic to see him on the Dodgers.

5. Buck Turgidson

Perfect spot for him

jayfree likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

What the Padres and Phillies are doing probably helps Correa a bit. They made their $300MM investments in Machado and Harper when they weren't very good but wanted to set up the foundation of their franchises to build to the future. It might create more suitors willing to follow that path. It also shows you don't have to be an elite team to make the World Series - there's value in simply getting to the playoffs and then rolling the dice.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Correa goes to the Phillies I can't wait to see him say he's always loved Geno's cheeseteaks and WaWa's.

jiggyfly, MadMax and Stephen66 like this.
  8. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Baltimore is so perfect of a fit for Carlos that in certain it won’t happen.

crose and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Orioles, Cardinals, Phillies, Angels, and Dodgers are good matches for Correa. Any of those teams would be justified in giving him something like $270M/9yrs. I also expect the Cubs and Yankees to be involved with Correa even though I think it would be a bad investment for them. The Marlins and Diamondbacks could be deep sleeper picks.

10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think Correa is looking for brighter lights than Baltimore. My money is on him signing with a NY or LA team. His recent appearance on the TBS post-game show was a sign for me that he wants to be in the spotlight more. His year in Minnesota probably was frustrating to him, since he was largely hidden from view. I think his wife also has aspirations of being famous. Being in NY/LA could be seen as helpful there.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

What about St. louis?

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The narrative that Correa only cares about big markets continues to be hilarious.

The guy will make his home permanently in Houston/PR. They have a second kid on the way (for those who think its his wife who wants to live the jet-setting lifestyle and be in the constant spotlight). Even his attempts to showcase his cerebral abilities (studio analyst) are met with "oh, he's only doing that to cater to NYC/LA!!!" (as if those teams, or any teams, makes decisions based on TV appearances).

Correa will be a star on any team/franchise that has success. He's already a household baseball name, regardless of which markets he's played in. With baseball being more regional than ever, the only spotlight that can get you national coverage is to be on a team in the post-season consistently.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We saw teams make those moves last offseason with the Rangers & Tigers. The Tigers didn't spend as much, but they tried to with Correa and they did sign Baez to a big deal.

Major likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The league is in an interesting spot when it comes to player contracts.

More teams thinking they have a chance will obviously help player salaries, but with the postseason proving to be more random than ever at what point do the elite teams decide trying to supermax your roster serves little purpose?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member

Enjoy sitting at home C-Los!

jim1961 likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Predictions on the big 4 FA SS this offseason:
    Turner: Dodgers, $300M/8yrs
    Correa: Orioles, $270M/9yrs plus incentives
    Bogaerts: Cubs, $220M/8yrs
    Swanson: Cardinals, $150M/6yrs

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I say thats way high for Turner. Over $37M AAV? No way. I am thinking more like matching Seger's 10/$325

Way low on Swan a on- Braves keep him 7/$180

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3713969/2022/10/27/mlb-free-agent-shortstops-new-teams/

1. Carlos Correa
    Best new team fit: Giants
    Early contract prediction: 10 years, $345 million

Height: 6-4 Weight: 220
    Bats: R Throws: R

WAR: 5.4 Career WAR: 39.5
    Slash line: .291/.366/.467
    2B: 24 HR: 22 RBI: 64 SB: 0

Correa was making $35.1 million per year with the Twins, and he was happy with the average annual value of his contract, but what he really wants is a long-term home. He hopes to land a mega long-term contract like Corey Seager got from the Rangers last offseason and Francisco Lindor got from the Mets in 2021. There is no reason to think Correa won’t get that type of contract this winter, as long as his medicals check out. Correa is an above-average defender who hits for average and power. The Twins’ front office and field staff rave about his positive influence on young players and the culture he helped create in their clubhouse this season. He had that reputation with the Astros as well.

Once the Giants find out Aaron Judge is re-signing with the Yankees, I think they will make a strong push for Correa. Their new general manager, Pete Putila, was with Correa in the Astros organization, and he has already discussed his interest in the star shortstop with team president Farhan Zaidi. Correa is represented by Scott Boras, who will aim for a contract that’s a bit higher than what he secured for Seager last December. Expect the deal to include a full no-trade clause, which is a priority for Correa.

19. jayfree

jayfree Member

Judge can F this whole situation up for Correa if he holds out as long as he can

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Would love to see Correa on the Giants. But I'd be surprised. I still think they're going to throw all the money at Judge. He's a NorCal guy.