1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He is getting a do-over?

Blame the team that was dumb enough to give him a $35 million dollar deal with a 1 year opt-out. I bet the Twins wish they had a do-over...

Stephen66, IdStrosfan and marks0223 like this.
  2. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

If he wants another ring

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He has plenty of time to get back there. The luxury of being only 28. Still plenty of elite players just hoping to one day sniff an LCS, let alone a WS (Harper, Trout, Ohtani).

As much as people point out Correa's missed regular season time, he's played half a season worth of post-season games in his career already... there's a pretty good chance all of those above players will never play that many post-season games combined.

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Think he can still get the hook up at HEB?

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Would you make the 6-$180M again? After a year he has effectively secured 7 years and $215.1M. I just don't know if they will even make the offer.

I might prefer Offering JV $15M to agree to exercise his option for $25M in 2023 and add a $25M players option for 2024. It effectively pays him for performance and offers him downside protection again. Just repeat until he decides to retire.

Stephen66 likes this.
  6. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

No

Correa will never be an Astro again.

Unless he comes back as a 38 yr old

7. SuraGotMadHops

Twins knew the plot when they became part of it. Unless he got injured, they knew full well he was going to opt out and try again to get his coveted $300m deal, they just hoped they could squeeze in a deep playoff run in the one year they had with him.

They didn't get Dior product from him either though, more like Macy's.

vince likes this.
  8. CinematicFusion

Can Peña play center field?

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm sure Pena has the skills to play CF but there would be a learning curve where he makes mistakes like bad routes,misjudged fly balls, throwing to the wrong base, etc for a year or two.

Just in time for Barber, Gilbert, Leon, or Melton to take the starting CF job from him.

I don't see any scenario where the Astros are better with Pena anywhere but SS.

I realize this post is about Correa returning which means what does the team do with Pena.

The answer is " That is total fantasy and won't happen - but to feed the delusion: TRADE HIM."

If Pena is not the Astros SS the team is better getting another player or two for him than moving him to another position.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I would be thrilled with both deals, and they would promptly be turned down by both players.

Scherzer signed a 3 year 130 million dollar deal, with the 3rd year being a player option. Why would Verlander settle for half of that coming off a Cy Young?

jiggyfly, JeeberD, vince and 2 others like this.
  11. vince

vince Member

Cap space is valuable space! Peña is an above average shortstop on a bargain basement deal. The Astros are better served to give 34 million dollars a deal to someone else (or a group of guys).

I’m a huge Correa fan, but I’m a bigger Astros fan!

12. jayfree

jayfree Member

Yeeeeah! That dude never seeing a World Series again.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The feeling here in MN is that Correa is all but gone. With the Twins underperfoming down the stretch there doesn’t appear to much faith that the cheap ownership will be willing to pay him more.

Stephen66 likes this.
  14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Correa will still get to experience playoff excitement. They still live in Houston and I bet he'll be at a lot of the Astros home playoff games rooting for his buddies.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The brakes have been applied to his post season appearances by leaving the Astros.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You could resign him and put Breg or Correa at first.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Is he REALLY going to opt out of that sweetheart deal after THIS season's performance? 5.4 WAR is an excellent player, but not for $35.1M. 10th in 3 categories of the MLB leader-board. Position WAR, oWAR and GDP.

Everything before "5 days following the conclusion of the WS" (when he must exercise any opt out/opt in) is negotiation tactics seeking to determine his market value. I cannot believe his value has escalated.

#1478 Marshall Bryant, Oct 8, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Why do STUPID DEALS set a floor for the next player? Are there that many STUPID OWNERS?

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I've posted this in the past, but f we were to acquire Correa, I want his arm at 3B. Pena and his range at SS, leaving Bregman to move to 1B which was the move of my all time favorite 1B (Bagwell). Altuve is entrenched at 2nd Base. I like the quick twitch of SS and 3B developed players at 1B. I can't imagine a problem with digging out the low throws once he adjusts to 1B footwork.

If we do NOT acquire or Jose Abreu, I'd like to see Henderson get a long look at 1B with a similar background AND at 6'6" and with excellent plate discipline. His MiBL numbers are a bit off, but he has exceeded expectations each time he moved up a level. This presumes Mancini does not exercise his Player Option for $10M which is unlikely. If he did, I would expect him to move to 1B full time over LF.