1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd love to have him on that contract, but that is mostly hoping he can be healthy in the postseason.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I don't blame the Twins for going for it. They have some nice pieces. The problem is that the farm system isn't good enough right now. They have had to spend money on positions that their farm system ideally would fill. A team like the Yankees or Dodgers can get away with that, but not the Twins.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

A star on a short term deal in the that market at 27 is just an awesome chance. As long as he wasn’t going to get hurt and paid for 3 years to not play that was a win for them and a great opportunity.

Nook likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been holding out on that belief myself, but those 2 seasons where Correa had the 900 OPS were 2019, the year everybody had huge power numbers and ...2017, when Marwin Gonzalez also had a huge OPS for reasons. Most of us just assumed his spike in 2017 was him reaching his talent level, but in hindsight it may not have been.

Wouldn't be shocked if he still has an elevation left in him, but if I'm giving him money I'm doing so under the assumption he probably isn't and 135-140 OPS+ is likely what you are getting.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would think the teams and front offices would look at this from the other direction.

Instead of " We expect 1 WAR for every $8.5M we spend." I would expect them to think: "He should get so much WAR so this is what we should pay "

According to Fangraphs, an all star season is 4-5 WAR.

Since it's a 3 year deal I would think they were expecting him 12-15 WAR (all star level performance) over the life of the deal.
    Since it has an opt out, they were likely hoping for 5+WAR in the first year, but expecting 4+.

If Correa gets 5 WAR they paid 7M per WAR which is a bargain, especially considering a shorter contract has less risk and therefore higher expected Cost per WAR.

If Correa get 4WAR they paid nearly $9M per WAR which is not ideal but close enough that there is not much of an issue.

The average current to date cost of all 9 of the $300M Contracts is about $7.5M per WAR.

I would say the Twins got to the minimum level they expected but not where they hoped. THEY aren't unhappy but not thrilled.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Major

Major Member

Why on earth would Minnesota fans be upset? They signed him after the lockout ended - it's not like they were going to spend that money on anyone else at that point or that it affected them negatively in any way. It's effectively a 1 year deal and they were in playoff contention for 5 months of the season.

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Did I miss where someone said the fans were upset?

8. RussE

RussE Member

Carlos searching for the pot of gold. I’m glad he’s gone…

Stephen66 likes this.
  9. Qan

Qan Member

He's a young man that wants to get paid. He'll get paid, just not sure if the product will have to sit for awhile and go on sale or not.

SuraGotMadHops and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

And.... that's why you don't give someone that type of contract.

I'd be kinda upset if I gave someone a $100m contract and he goes to the media and says "and if you want me to stay you gotta pay me even MORE" . Dude, just exercise the opt-out and stop pretending like Minnesota means anything to you anymore than the biggest paycheck.

11. CinematicFusion

Yeah.. not a great look

jiggyfly and RussE like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

When has he ever pretended that?

13. Major

Major Member

Sorry I missed this earlier. I was referring to judoka's post about his sense of MN fans (he lives in that area).

IdStrosfan likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah... that was a dickish thing to say publicly

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I love Correa and always will.

He deserves whatever he can get a team to pay him.

But this is a really bad and selfish, greedy look.

The only thing he didn't do is go 3rd person

jiggyfly and Stephen66 like this.
  16. Qan

Qan Member

Did he have on a Boras cap during the interview?

17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I messed up the calculations earlier…
    He has 5.1 WAR for BBR to Pena with 4.5.
    He has 4.2 fangraphs war compared to Pena with 3.5.
    his wRC is 138 so is his OPs plus- so he’s been 38% better than league average. that has his value as somewhere between 35.7 and 43.35 so he is an overperform on his contract with a couple series to play.
    it’s not a great season if it’s year 1 of 10, but it’s a decent value for year 1 of 1 and you’d be happy for him to not opt out if you are Minny, probably.
    I can’t believe Texas didn’t offer CC the deal they gave Seager. I also can’t believe they ga e him that deal this year. They are a dumb organization. Hopefully they (and Anaheim) stay dumb but I’m a bit concerned as they have a new GM and the Angels will soon have a new owner.

Tomstro likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Yep, last thing the Stros need is Texas and Anaheim becoming competent and Oakland moving and getting monies, all around the same time. Would make for a much more interesting division though.

jiggyfly, desihooper and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member