1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, I understand.

I think an issue he'll have is that he was brought in to be the best player on the Twins and help them make a playoff run but instead he's been their 3rd or 4th best player and they are probably missing the playoffs entirely.

If you are the next team he's trying to sell himself to, are you looking at the Twins and thinking they got what they paid for?

Tomstro and jim1961 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Looking more and more like this generations JD Drew… not the best player on his team, but somebody who got paid like it till his last contract (and was also often injured).

He did help the Red Sox win a World Series in 2007.

I would certainly have taken him here on a short term deal… but that wasn’t in the interest of either party.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

4. Buck Turgidson

Either he or Gunnar Henderson would have to move to 3B

Nook likes this.
  5. Qan

Qan Member

Correa already indicated he's willing to switch to 3B if needed.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. HeyBudLetsParty

Carlos is awesome and in my eyes an Astros legend. I do think he benefited a ton being in this lineup and always in the playoffs, probably overinflated his value. There’s very few players that justify a 200 million contract.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Correa thus far has been the most successful disappointment in baseball history.

By any measure, his career to this point has been amazing. Over 35 WAR, 3 world series appearances, multiple all stars, a platinum glove, ROY. Yet despite all that, I think most would agree he hasn't been able to put it all together. Last season was probably the closest he has come, but I still think he hasn't lived up to his real offensive potential for a full season.

Correa is gonna be a borderline hall of famer and a what if at the same time.

8. Buck Turgidson

He's not even close to borderline yet.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He’s certainly on pace to be. If his career is half was through right now he’s on his way to 70 WAR with multiple post season moments but without a dominant season or spectacular numbers. That seems pretty borderline HOF to me. He was projecting I’m pretty sure.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

he’s close to the all time lead in several post season categories…yes, he has a ways to go, but I think you can say he has his foot in the door. Obviously post season stats isn’t end all be all, but he’s odd to as good of a start as any player can really have

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Scott Rolen comes to mind. Not the same postseason resume, but a star that injuries held back from mvp caliber seasons and ended up as a borderline hofer (I think he should be in).

Nook likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's already indicated that his ONLY concern is how many dollars are going into his bank account every year. Nothing else matters to him.....which is perfectly fine.

He has no loyalty to teams, cities, or fans. He doesn't care about winning. He doesn't care what position he plays.

He just wants to make the most money possible.

Tomstro likes this.
  13. Qan

Qan Member

As it should be for young athletes.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't personally agree, I think that people who believe maximizing the number of dollars in their bank account is the most important consideration are typically pretty shallow people, but I don't blame anyone for it if that's how they are.

As I see it, at a certain point, other considerations SHOULD be more important. If you make 199 million instead of 200 million, you aren't damaged in any real way.

For example, if Correa took 30 mil this year from the Astros instead of 35 mil from the Twins, he'd potentially be looking at adding to his legacy and possibly collecting another ring. Instead, the money was the ONLY consideration, so he'll be getting an early vacation. Again though, I understand those kinds of things only matter to certain types of players.

15. Buck Turgidson

"yet"

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Qan

Qan Member

Correa will be lucky to have the playoff success he saw when he was with the Astros. I doubt a strong playoff team will pay him the money he wants. Most likely he'll be in a team like the Twins.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Highly doubtful… but if the Padres would possibly find a way to void Tatis’ contract, they’d likely take Correa for .10 cents on the dollar (compared to what Tatis was going to get paid).

I just don’t see the Tatis career arc working out as well for them as they once hoped for. His BS excuse (ringworm?) really heightens either a major lack of maturity or he’s being advised by agents with very little maturity.

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. But I thought he was pretty clearly speculating as to what Correa would be saying he was going to be a borderline HOF guy, so it sure where you were going with that’s response. At any rate, I don’t think any of us disagree on him I guess.

Tomstro likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Not possible.

20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Well, he’s not sure either. He’s kinda like that self powered vacuum that comes in and buzzes around for a while when others are talking. Oh yeah and it’s louder and drunker than the other brands.