1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

what if we play pena at 1st ?

2. the shark

the shark Member

And BOS with Story moving to 2nd.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Waste of an arm. If we did add Carlos, I could see moving him to 3B and Bregman to 1B because of his arm and to reduce quick twitch stress on Bregman. Not too different than moving Arod to 3B when he went to the Yankees and Bagwell to 1B when he was acquired from Boston.

And when the time comes or Yuli to go, I'd like a player with experience at 3B saving throws at 1B. I think I read Yuli played 3B at some point with Cuba.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Because it would be a complete waste of what actually makes him valuable which is his defensive range.

Pena the first baseman probably is a terrible MLB player.

Wulaw Horn and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

If I'm MIN I'm hoping he opts out because yes he's not worth 35 mil or 30 mil or even 25 mil.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Isn’t Peña a rookie. Seems far fetched to assume this is his ceiling.

arabrocket and Marshall Bryant like this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

maybe pena to outfield then . Honestly ive been lukewarm on him. Its his rookie year , so there are questions . How does the league adjust to him , how does he adjust to the league .

a quick glance shows correa and bregman had better rookie seasons . correa came up when he was 20 , bregman 22 . not saying age matters THAT much , but Pena hasnt impressed me defensively either .

i was down on bregmans D last yaear , but hes stepped it up this season. and before that he was fantastic.

pena needs to show me more before im penciling him in as a 5 year starter for us . right now i feel like altuve and bregman will still be better than him in 3 years . Correa costs a alot . Id only seriously bring him back if hes giving us a good discount. Id try to trade pena vs play him at first , but maybe with defensive pressure off he can hit a bit better. Will be interesting to see how he grows as a player

everyday eddie likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

play... peña... at... where??????

Snake Diggit and BigM like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea he hasn't been that good this year and there's not a huge need at SS either. Not sure how he's going to get more somewhere else

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't want to think of 2025. But I respectfully disagree on Pena. His 162 proj of 6.1 WAR and 3.2 dWAR in his rookie season in spite of his recent slump has me giddy about his future.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/penaje02.shtml

vince and BigM like this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I honestly don't even know what to say to this. In one breath, you acknowledge that he's a rookie playing one of the hardest positions on the field, and in another breath you're comparing him to HOF and borderline HOF players without any nuance. You say he needs to show you more, but then you also condone trading him away?? Maybe you need to do more than just a "quick glance" at rookie seasons because Bregman struggled MIGHTILY when he was called up, and Correa had a gaffe that might have cost us a playoff series. Pena started the season hot, and has cooled off as time has gone on, but he still proves that he's more than capable of being a good-to-very good SS. You honestly need to adjust your expectations.

Stephen66, Bregatron, rockbox and 4 others like this.
  12. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Peña is already one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball, and that’s in spite of his errors.

Peña might never be an offensive force, but him being a discount Carlos Correa, a likely hall of famer, is no disappointment.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I think the main reason you don't like Pena Defense is his Arm, it isn't Correa Level Over 100 mph arm.

I really believe Pena throwing technique is Raw his Left Arm always looks flailing, Right Arm Throws become weak. He really needs a SS Coach to work on his deep throws. His Fielding is Good, his Throwing Technique needs a lot of Work.

14. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Carlos Correa Regular Season Numbers are Below Average in Hall of Fame Standards.

So many Games missed due to injury, Broken Leg, Fractured Hand, Rib Cage (Wife), Bad Back that needs Surgery or maybe get Stem Cell

Postseason Numbers are a Different Story.
    But Voters will say he cheated.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I have visions of a much better hitting Adam Everett. Yes he makes errors, but he more than makes up for them by making outstanding plays look routine. Some prefer RAR (Runs Above Replacement) and he's at 33 and projects to 59 for the season. My early attempt to produce something like it had Adam Everett at 43 outs above average.

Ozzie Smith peaked at 67 RAR in 1989.
    Carlos Correa peaked at 71 RAR in 2021.

#895 Marshall Bryant, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

He’s still on track to finish the season with nearly 40 bWAR before his 28th birthday, he’s already ahead of Francisco Lindor who’s a year older.

Sure he didn’t live up to the A-Rod expectations when he was 20, but don’t be surprised if he ends his career with 65 WAR with a higher WAR/162 than most HOF SS.

You are right in that he has a zero chance of making it in because of 2017, and him defending his teammates from the media ended any chance, considering it’s those same media members who decide who gets in the hall.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. vince

vince Member

Peña as a rookie has been outstanding. The league has adjusted to him, but it took a while; he’s been doing excellent offensively. So I anticipate he should be able to adjust to the holes the pitchers and coaches notched on his swing and approach.

But I do hope he is able to make the necessary adjustments before the postseason kicks in.

defensively he’s done great.

Arguably, Peña is playing better than Correa this year so far.

BigM likes this.
  18. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

That would be a very weak argument.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Turns out there's not that much difference between Pena's .701 OPS and Correa's .767 OPS.....certainly not 34 million dollars worth of a difference.

I do still wonder if Correa will buy a ticket and come see some playoff games in Houston after he opts out of his deal in Minnesota after predictably missing the playoffs.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, you could make one though. Pena has more home runs, more RBI's, more stolen bases.

Really the biggest difference between them is that Pena is a rookie that doesn't have the plate discipline to draw as many walks. Hopefully that'll come with time, but given that he's 34 million dollars cheaper, you take him over the version of Correa that Minnesota got every day.