1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Mattician

Mattician Member

2022 has been pretty bad to Houston teams and it's only March.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Bizarre.

I can’t wait to hear what went on for Correa to agree to THIS.

3. TheresTheDagger

Well, the core is half old....Altuve, Yuli, and Uncle Mike yes but Tucker, Bregman and Correa less so. Plus how often does a talent at SS like Correa come along? He's a generational talent and leader with a lot of baseball left in him. Like you, I'm completely baffled what's going on here.

My suspicion is Boras played Carlos to postpone the big contract till next year when Boras gets the entire agent cut instead of a portion if it had been signed this year.

Chuck Nevitt likes this.
  4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Wow.

Welcome to the plate, your starting shortstop, Jeremy Pena!

5. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Astros are idiots … bring back luhnow… that contract was the best case scenario

astros123, slothy420, jklb and 4 others like this.
  6. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

After seeing what Correa got I hope this doesn't kill the morale of the team. Players were excited at the thought of him coming back but nope. If it was a long term contract maybe they understand but this contract, doesn't make sense how they don't match. Especially when most, if not all of them said he's the leader and he's why they go far in the playoffs. Yeah I know they're professionals and know it's business but still....

slothy420 and BMoney like this.
  7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Correa is going to rent a penthouse high rise in Minnesota for 12 months and dip out of there so fast.

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You are absolutely wrong. Correa is a franchise cornerstone. He did everything the team ever asked from him and came up in the clutch better than any Astros in the team's history outside of Altuve. The Astros have let Cole, Springer and now Correa leave along with Greinke. Their team is losing talent while the rest of the division, bar the A's, is getting better. Blame Crane and Click. They have not added a single impact player that wasn't obtained, or drafted by Luhnow. I am not counting Phil f-ing Maton. Blame. Crane.

9. Mattician

Mattician Member

Every owner of the Houston sports teams has made me upset recently.

Houston sports have really fallen of the last few years. Every team was in title contention at the same time just a few years ago.

Also the amount of stars Houston has lost across the 3 major sports teams in just the last few years is way too many. I can't think of another city that's lost as many in the same time frame.

10. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I still think it’s a risky move by Correa to take the 105M over 300M contract. He and Daniella better pray that his back (or rib) hold up and he’s smashing in Minnesota for 1 year.

11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Poor Peña … he’s going to scrutinized nonstop by fans and probably his own teammates as this was at least partly a vote of confidence in him.

I hope the kid is tough…

mightybosstone and Radricky like this.
  12. HTM

HTM Member

Bummer. That's not a lot of money.

13. right1

right1 Member

This is really a head-scratcher for both sides. Wow.

Handles likes this.
  14. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Doesn't add up at all

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

That's a big ballpark too. Not gonna get some cheapie Crawford Box shots.

16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Why would he be so obsessed with getting paid over 30 million a year? I assumed length was more important.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Everybody was suspecting a shorter contract, or early opt out, and how that would have favored Crane/Astros just as much as Correa.

Forget about Boras… his job was to conjure the most offers and have Correa pick the best one. Who knows if there was ever a 10 year/300million dollar from Baltimore. Its clear the Astros didn’t have a better offer or were in disbelief that he’d sign a 1 year deal with Minnesota.

18. Handles

Handles Member

This makes zero sense. We couldn't beat that??

19. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

How much you want to bet this was a Boras move? He tells Carlos that he gets to try free agency again next year for the big score, and he gets the entire cut instead of the prorated amount he gets from the long term deal. As for the Astros? Well, it's not the first time he's used them to try to drum up interest in a client. Plus, since he also reps Xander Bogaerts (who also has an opt out after next season) he can, to a large part, dictate the SS market next offseason.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its tiny to RF… where Correa’s opposite field power will still play.

But it doesn’t really matter much, he just merely needs to stay healthy and put up decent offensive numbers, while continuing to play elite defense, and he’ll likely get better/longer offers next year.