1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't.

dmoneybangbang and jim1961 like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Correa follows it with a 3 strike out game

Surfguy, jayfree and cdastros like this.
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

Minnesota got a steal for Correa. Not because he will be their best player but because they don't have him on the books for more than 3 years. Correa wants that big contract eventually so if he had a break out year and decides to opt out then the Twins gained one year of him playing. If he gets injured and stays in the contract then they are on the hook for only 2 more at most.

And the Astros are one team in the league that may not miss his leadership skills as much as a team like the Twins can gain from it.

raining threes and STR8Thugg like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. jayfree

jayfree Member

An ideal situation for me would be Correa having a down year but the Twins doing well enough to be in playoff contention. But on the final week Correa comes up empty, the Twins miss out on the playoffs and don't even reap the benefits of playoff Correa.

Htown Stros likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is no doubt Carlos was worth 30 million. I think we would have given it to him if management didn't know how good defensively Pena was. When Pena developed power last year, that is when management started the low balling process. they never wanted Correa back. Intentionally offered him contracts they knew he would refuse, but wanted it to appear that they tried.

10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I think this is an accurate portrayal of what happened given how much this team loves him (McCullers, Altuve, Bregman, Maldy, etc. were all practically begging resign him) making it a tough spot for management to be in.

At the end of the day, I can guarantee all of the models the Astros front office ran that factored in Pena's $500k salary compared to Correa's $35M weren't even close - it was an easy decision, and like you said, I think they saved face by acting like they were "trying to sign him".

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Im happy so far with pena but man it's weird as hell seeing Correa do this for another team. I always knew Correa wasn't going to be here for the long haul, just didn't imagine him playing for a smaller market team

raining threes and rockbox like this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’s a rental. Hopefully they will enjoy him while they can.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Correa has already made 4 elite level plays in 3 lousy games. Pena looks the part, but it was a huge risk to remove the primary cog from a well-oiled world series machine so you can save some annual salary. The only teams that can get away with that are teams like Manchester were everyone under the sun wants to play for you. That's not us. If Correa can carry them lousy Twins into the playoffs, he should be lined with gold, it would be sick. As for Pena, until he leads this team to a championship, it will be second guessed. And we are a long way from that. But there's no looking back now.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Knowing Minnesota Sport this scenario is very likely.

raining threes likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stros are at Twins starting May 10th. Thinking about getting tickets for that series.

JeeberD, Nook, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  16. Radricky

Radricky Member

Twins got the full Correa experience yesterday.
    I wish nothing but the best for Carlos unless he is playing the Astros.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As good as Pena may be and I think he may be an all-star player, he will never be able to make this play. Very few infielders in history can throw that hard and accurately.

Wulaw Horn, Nook and eliefor3 like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, if the Astros advance to the WS (and lose) and Pena has a solid season, the move will be second guessed?

Or, if the Astros win the WS, but Pena is mediocre at best (in no way does he lead them to the championship), the move will be second guessed?

I don't understand that logic.

jiggyfly, Bregatron, MrBear1 and 2 others like this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Yah his defense and intangibles are more valuable than his offense.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

When you extract the leader of a perennial championship caliber team, and you don't make it back, then yes, you second guess it. Correa was the best player and our leader.