1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022...wins-fans-shocked-by-105m-carlos-correa-deal/

‘I Thought It Was A Dummy Twitter Account’: Twins Fans Shocked By $105M Carlos Correa Deal

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — At roughly $105 million over three years, the Twins’ reported deal with Carlos Correa is the biggest free agency signing in franchise history, and an unusual feeling for long-suffering Twins fans.

“Right when I woke up I saw my news feed blowing up. I was pretty excited,” said Twins fan Marc Kieser from Woodbury.

The news, first reported at 12:41 a.m. Saturday, brings the top free agent in the game, of all places, to Minnesota.

“It’s a big move. clearly they mean business and they want to win this year,” said Brian Loots of Minnetonka.

Former WCCO Sports Director Mark Rosen has been covering the Twins for decades. All the more reason for disbelief.

“I thought it wasn’t real. I thought it was a dummy Twitter account,” Rosen said.

Correa is a bonified star. He’s third in baseball, in the Wins Above replacement stat. That means there’s almost no one more valuable.

“It’s a sure sign that at least they’re serious for once,” said Rosen. “The Twins are not ones to go out and spend this kind of money on anyone.”

Perhaps a sign of change for the notoriously frugal franchise, who’s baseball boss, Derek Falvey is entering his sixth season.

“The old country club feel is kind of out. And it’s like no, we wanna win. We wanna be competitive and we gotta spend some money to do it.” said Loots.

Correa won the World Series in 2017 with the Astros. A title turned sign stealing scandal, with Correa at the forefront.

“Hopefully, he learned his lesson and will clean it up when he comes to the Twins; but will bring that same edge and leadership to our team so we can go and repeat what they did in the World Series,” said Kieser.

“Are you gonna tell me as a Twins fan, ‘I don’t want Carlos Correa because his team did something that was tawdry to try to win a World Series?’ We don’t even know the specifics of it. No. Bring him on,” said Rosen.

Some reports said the Twins were pursuing Trevor Story, another free agent shortstop — not at the level of Correa. There is no official announcement yet. Correa is expected to join the team at Spring training on Sunday.

https://cbsloc.al/3IowqNO

BigM likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While they've continued to develop MLB caliber players, the high priced core guys still are expected to be the difference-makers towards contention and when their time is up, there was always likely to be a rebuild (or a selling off of above average guys/all-stars who still have value). If they're in a position to contend, and sign pitchers coming of TJ surgery at age 40 on year to year deals... I expected them to retain a guy who seemed to be an important piece to all of this (not to mention a defacto clubhouse leader, and household name).

We've talked about the Astros brand and what it means to have the generational-legacy types guys stick around, to a fan base that is still relatively young (but getting older) in terms of historic baseball cities. I know they can't retain everybody... but this situation seemingly fell into their lap. If they don't take advantage of this type of situation, which ones will they?

Scarface281 and Gimmmethemike like this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

“Are you gonna tell me as a Twins fan, ‘I don’t want Carlos Correa because his team did something that was tawdry to try to win a World Series?’ We don’t even know the specifics of it. No. Bring him on,” said Rosen.

Oh... so now they don't "know the specfics" of the cheating scandal, so bring on Correa.

For those that don't know, Mark Rosen is the Mark Berman of Twin Cities sports.

#403 bobrek, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yeah I thought that was pretty funny and fitting of Rosen. Although I don't remember him seriously bashing the Stros the last few years. The Common Man (he's kind of a local sports talk contrarian) did bring up that the Twins power numbers were really up in 2019 after they got Marwin Gonzalez and if Marwin had brought some of the Stros' "techniques" to the Twins.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'll admit everything about the Correa situation is weird. I don't get why we didn't sign him, and even more confusing is why no other big market teams could beat that offer. I can't pretend to know what their true reasoning is on the matter, but as you mentioned they did just pay Verlander a ton so they will write a check. Maybe they will come to Bregman like extension with Yordan or Tucker, maybe they wont, I don't know.

However Correa is just one guy, and people are making far too much out of losing him. He is certainly an elite talent, but he hasn't consistently performed like an elite talent, and people are acting like we just lost LeBron.

jiggyfly, joshuaao, Nick and 2 others like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I hadn't thought about going to the Twins' home opener but now I might.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

All they need now is Billy Heywood to manage the Twins and they'll be right back in the pennant race.

Landry's Tooth likes this.
  8. CinematicFusion

We have zero idea what happened or if Crane made an offer last week. Only one side is talking, always two sides to a coin.

Astros might have expressed interest in a one year deal (since that is really what the twins deal is) but Astros obviously rejected the three year deal with opt outs for first two years.
    If Correa has a great year…he’s gone, he gets hurt and you have him for 3 years.

No other team wanted that deal. Not the Tigers, O’s, Astros, Yankees…. No one but Twins.

This deal feels like it helps Boras more then Anyone.

right1 and Slyonebluejay like this.
  9. CinematicFusion

Astros would have done a one year deal.
    Fair to both sides.
    No team was interested in a 3 year deal with two player controlled opt outs with a player that has history of a bad back.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  10. CinematicFusion

Correa is gone after one year with Twins unless he get hurt.
    Astros can evaluate Peña on the cheap and offer Correa 6 years 210 next year.
    If Peña is legit, then we don’t need Correa.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I’m sorry my friend, I’m afraid that ship has sailed.

everyday eddie and awc713 like this.
  12. CinematicFusion

Nothing is ever over and it’s always about the money.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Of course I like Correa and what he meant to the Astros. I’m still good with Crane sticking to his guns not giving more than a 5 or 6 year deal. That’s been part of his business model and I think it’s smart.

I don’t think the team wanted to go through this again next year, hence not giving opt outs the next two years.

I understand Carlos wanting a 10 year deal but it’s just not worth it imo. He could have signed the 5/6 year deal and signed another one just like Freeman did.

I’ll miss Correa but the risks at 10 years are too great.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

There doesn’t seem to be a lot that sets Correa apart from Machado, Harper, Lindor, or Tatis, who all received 10+ year deals. Tatis is a hair different given his age but he’s had injury concerns as well. My guess is that the 10 year deal will be there next offseason if CC can play 150 games. As others have noted, his WAR should stop since he’s not surrounded by the Astros lineup…but will be interesting to see. I have to think the Correa ship has sailed in HOU and that he isn’t resigning here, sans **** hitting the fan this year within the clubhouse and some regression from CC.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There’s a ton of downside for teams with players on large contracts that contain opt outs. Not only is there the obvious downside that a player could get hurt or degrade and the team can be stuck with a large salary on their books for a bad player, but there’s also a ton of uncertainty that prevents the team from making other moves. I would guess the combination of Correa’s injury history and the opt out uncertainty is what prevented the Astros from making a serious effort to sign him.

BlindHog and Slyonebluejay like this.
  16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We essentially gave Verlander a 2 year version of the same deal and he didn't play the last 2 seasons.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The innings pitched component of that player option is huge protection for the Astros. I suspect if Correa had been open to the same 3 year deal he signed but the options could only be picked up if he played 100+ games that Houston would have been willing to do that deal. Big difference.

Bregatron likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

A one year deal would have worked and a three year deal would have worked. But the structure turned off most teams. One year commitments by the player do not match a three year commitment by the team. Worst case, Correa has an injured back and the team has a $105.3M obligation. If he had another full year of good play, he leaves. The second scenario isn't the biggest problem, it's the first.

19. SuraGotMadHops

The way I see it, Astros were not willing to give him opt outs after every year so unless Carlos got off of that there was nothing to discuss. Carlos wants to have his cake and eat it too. He didn't get his 10 year deal so he wants another chance to get one next year, and the year after that, and the year after that. A high performance franchise like the Astros want to know who they will have under contract and build around that accordingly. Doing this same song and dance next year would make it hard to plan things.

Given his injury history, Carlos took a gamble on himself last season and he won. However, he overplayed his hand. He may still get his 10 year deal next offseason, but now that I know the way things have shaken out, I am not that hurt about him leaving. He wanted the Astros to make a commitment to him, but he did not want to return the commitment. I think Crane was offering an opt out after 2 years, maybe 3. I find that fair.

Onward, let's see what Pena can do.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He got a two year deal before the injury. It didn't have an Opt Out.

The new deal is a one year deal with a Player option for another year if he meets 130 IP. It's still sketchy and I don't like the structure.