1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. RussE

RussE Member

Well…he’s gone. Loyalty to team…ask Altuve and Yuli and Brantley. I’m forgetting someone else but there’s your loyalty. It ain’t Carlos and that’s a fact.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It is strange… but he does have a better shot of stat padding for a bad team vs. a contender that usually ensures players are fresh for the post-season, not to mention has more good players that require to bat higher in the lineup and get more overall AB’s.

Not sure what the upside is for the Twins other than maybe sell a few more tickets earlier on… and then consider trading him at the deadline if they’re out of it.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I think in the end, I can understand the perspectives of both sides while at the same time being frustrated with all parties involved. I can't blame Correa for wanting to maximize his value as much as possible, even though I wish he would have shown a little more loyalty to the team like other players have. I also can't fault the Astros for not wanting to invest in a high-risk long term deal, which other teams didn't want to do either. I can understand likewise that they would've wanted more than just another year of him rather than be back in the same situation next winter. This isn't the same as JV's situation so you can't compare. Both Correa and the team knew what they wanted, and neither side seemed willing to budge. It is what is. Astros will still be competitive and frontrunners, and they're still by far the best organization in Houston.

awc713 likes this.
  4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There were things said about Verlander not being around the team during 2021 season. Not saying John was right or wrong but he wasn't the only one saying that.

Crane has a strong relationship with Verlander. It's been well documented and even @Nook has talked about it.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea those of us who question Click get roasted by a lot of people on here, but the dude has not been good at his job

Wulaw Horn and everyday eddie like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

I agree to a degree. At some point you have to lock in cornerstones so you can focus your development of the other positions making it easier to field a complete lineup.

Too many holes to fill relying on unproven talent could set you up for a poor year...

Also rolling the dice on Yuli and Brantley not declining...

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If he signed a long term deal I would agree, zero reason to not offer what he accepted though. Zero reason to not even contact him also, if true

we are still a pretty good team at least, as long as Verlander stays healthy and the young pitching does well

Elienator likes this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

To me you play the game for the money first and foremost. Im not mad at him for taking the money grab. I would have been upset if Astros had the same offer and he picked Minnesota over us.
    This year or next year, we were definitely going to lose him. It would have been a bad idea to sign a shortstop with back issues to 10 year contract. Might have been interesting to have another go at it with Verlander. I think if Verlander plays last year, we win the world series.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree, I'm not mad at him....but I also don't miss him for the same reason.

You can't roll with a "soul of the team" narrative when his ONLY interest is maximizing the dollars that flow into his bank account. If he's merely a prostitute, that's fine....but no one should shed any tears when the hooker heads to the next John.

Gimmmethemike and eliefor3 like this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

How does one "stat pad" in baseball?

11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Relax man. People work for money. Have you ever changed jobs to get better pay? I have. We also have no idea the details of how this played out.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros offered him 32 mil a year, he's getting 35, that's an insignificant amount of money in context when you consider tax differences.

Have I changed jobs for better pay? Sure.....but there's more than pay that goes into that kind of decision.

Would I leave a job that was professionally fulfilling with a lot of coworkers I was super close with for something like a 5% net pay raise to head to a dead end pointless job full of people I didn't know? No.

That's essentially what Correa just did.

13. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

They offered the $32 mil on a 5 year deal. That didn't work for him as well as essentially a 1 year deal with the chance for a do-over next year. Similar annual value, but completely different deals. I don't think anyone considers Correa a prostitute, considering all the work he did for Houston and the Astros in his time here.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A hooker can do a LOT of work for you....they are still just a prostitute.

The fact that none of that mattered to Correa as much as a few more dollars indicates that's how he looks at it, so should we.

Chance to win? Meaningless to him.

Teammates? Meaningless.

The team? Meaningless.

The city? Meaningless.

I'm not hating on him for being that way, by all means get your paper, but we shouldn't pretend that's not the case.

Gimmmethemike likes this.
  15. Victorious

Victorious Member

Sounds like they never really wanted him back? But said they did lol

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

Looks to me that the front office is making significant bets on Peña, Leon and Lee. Hopefully we get 2 studs in that group.

As of today, the bottom 3rd in the order looks shaky. McCormick, Maldy and Peña might be ok for the regular season, but against playoff caliber pitching, not sure they’re going to do much for us.

mikol13 and everyday eddie like this.
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

bad decision by the astros

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Correa is not heading to Minnesota because he prefers it to Houston. The Astros could have signed any one of a half dozen well established short stops, including Correa. They chose to go with Pena because they believe in him. Not because they are cheap, but to continue to contend year after year by fielding the best team that they can. I would expect nothing less.

desihooper and CinematicFusion like this.
  19. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

At some point Crane needs to stop getting the benefit of the doubt. If it isn't a team friendly deal he won't do it. I understand that he doesn't want to handcuff the team but at least try and replace what you let go. In the past two off-seasons the Astros have lost their most clutch playoff leaders. This team isn't getting any younger and their farm system isn't going to keep them afloat. Lately Houston sports are just bringing me down, all I have left is the coogs.

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This blows. I was fine letting Springer walk with the hope that meant we could find the money for Correa. Might as well have resigned Springer if they were never going to make an honest run of it.

I don't think James Click sucks or anything, but I'm so sick of him running the Stros like he's still with the Rays. I mean geezus, have we done anything at all to improve this offseason? I'm happy to have JV back, but our bullpen needed upgrading and instead we've done nothing. It just feels like he is so hard up to prove his draft picks will pan out and his minor league system will refill and replenish, which is great, but eventually you're gonna have to keep your guys.

Seriously, are we gonna be sitting here having the same damn conversation in a few years about Kyle Tucker, Yordan Alvarez? I just don't see a real plan in place. I don't see what we have done to get better this offseason. Natural improvement with some of the younger players can help, but Click's way of doing things is getting really old, really fast. I honestly don't know what the bullpen is going to look like, but I know we lost Graveman, and I don't think we've signed anyone else to replace him. Just all around seems like a whole lot of treading water, and I don't understand the lack of urgency.

That being said, I'm pumped for baseball, and I think we are gonna have a damn good shot at it again this year, namely because Tuck and Alvarez are primed for even bigger years, and the young starters should continue to improve.

Hank McDowell likes this.