1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Elienator

Elienator Member

If the Astros would have made a better offer and Boras didn’t give them that chance then he was not acting in the best interest of his client.

If the Astros didn’t get a chance to match then that is on Correa. If the Astros had a chance and didn’t then I think they made a bad decision.

With the playoffs being a crapshoot and more teams making the playoffs maybe Crane decided not to spend even this much.

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Not always true, in fact there are MANY more cases of a player just choosing where he does and doesn’t want to be than there are cases of players getting money to waive it

Hell we have multiple instances where players refused a trade to US by using their NTC that had zero to do with money.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We deserve an explanation from Crane about WTF happened. Silence is not going to do it.

Radricky and The Beard like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

...or what?

We couldn't come to an agreement blah blah blah, the typical company speak is what we will get. I'm not happy about him being let go for this amount either, but I'm not sure why fans act like this has turned the Astros into the Texans.

We let Cole go and kept winning. We let Springer go and kept winning. We lost Verlander for 2 seasons and kept winning. Until that stops I'm not gonna trip about any one move.

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Maybe we really believe in Pena . Still woulda kept Carlos , especially short term .

I don’t think 1/3 coulda yanked the deal or 1/4 . What I mean by that . If Carlos and crane wanted to be here ... boras couldn’t have torpedoed it . Or click . Out of the 4 main decision makers .

maybe there’s still a chance for us to give him a bigger deal and he backs out of twins . How much would that cost him ? Would it really matter if we offered a 5/170 with similar opt outs ?

is the ink dry ?

here I am rationalizing it and still wishing we can keep him lol

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's mot either/or. It's both. They only go to a preferred team AND demand compensation to waive the no trade clause.

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think there was an abundance of talent but as that talent depletes and is not replaced then at sometime it's going to catch up.
    When Cole left, you had grienke and Valdez stepping up

When springer left we didn't have a adequate replacement for center but there was a upgrade in the outfield with yordan coming back

I am not sure if we have anyone adequate step in for Correa.

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Love Carlos. He’s a Houston sports legend now. There should be a statue in front of the stadium of Correa and Altuve hugging after winning the 2017 World Series. Having said that, I’m looking forward to watching Peña play and seeing what else the Astros do to make their roster better.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Tucker had a GREAT season and better than the players mentioned, certainly better than Reddick overall.. Outfielders McCormick and Meyers both had WAR rates which would work out to about a 4 WAR over a 162 game season. Springer was injured and wouldn't have produced better.

Lost production from Bregman and Brantley was partially offset by Gurriel's amazing year. I expect each to return towards the mean. We will lose some at SS, but get some back Pitching.

We're NOT a dying team. Just adjusting.

eliefor3 likes this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

Just a theory... he could have a bad season there with no lineup protection and opt out thinking he'll get paid regardless then the market dries up again on him...

He's got zero chance at playoffs with the 4th best team in the AL central. He's spoiled going to the playoffs every year. He's going to hate it there...

12. Screaming Fist

It’s difficult to understand what happened here. Maybe they think they are competitive enough with Peña at SS to justify foregoing even a one year deal with Correa in favor of a smaller AAV deal with a cheaper player like a COF.

awc713 and eliefor3 like this.
  13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Congrats on authoring the worst post on the website today.

TFP, Radricky and Bregatron like this.
  14. Pringles

Pringles Member

Pain. But it's baseball. Next man up.

awc713, IowaAstro and Marshall Bryant like this.
  15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Glad the Astros didn't cave in and offer opt outs after every year. I don't want to deal with this circus every offseason while wait on Correa's decision while all the other good free agents sign elsewhere.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They don't have to explain anything. Correa chose the team that would give him a series of 1 year contracts. The Astros didn't want to do that. Easy.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If you would have told me last November that Correa signed for $105 I would have assumed he signed with Houston. But Crane has earned the benefit of the doubt. Houston will still have a good team.

18. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think each position needs to produce atleast close to average for their position. The margin of error decreases everytime we lose.someone. We might also be losing out on McCullers for the year or most of it too

Marshall Bryant and awc713 like this.
  19. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think Correa was the equavalent of Jeter for the Astros. This one will hurt alot. I mean alloooottt

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

John doesn't really throw stuff like this out there unless he has good sources.

snowconeman22 and desihooper like this.