1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Correa to the Twins - 3 Years, $105 Million

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Remember when Rasmus accepted the QO? That probably scarred Luhnow for life, lol.

vince likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

IIRC, the Stros were offering 1 year and an option. Tampa guaranteed both years.

vince likes this.
  3. vince

vince Member

Thanks.

I seemed to remember he said at one point he wanted to pitch for Houston because he had had such an amazing resurgence here. And that if he didn’t sign with Houston, he was ready to retire.

And then Tampa Bay offered him a very nice contract, that got a lot of our attention, because it seemed more than what the fan boards were thinking it would have costed to resign Morton.

But what you said made sense. He played for TB and then for the Braves, which was closer to his home.

4. Buck Turgidson

Yes, at some point during the season he said 'Houston or done'. He also was tight with Cole and mentioned that as a draw.

Then he realized what an extra 15M of guaranteed money was worth, and I can't really blame him for that.

jiggyfly, vince and IdStrosfan like this.
  5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I remember hearing one of the broadcasters say he talked to Morton and he said he wanted to stay. Morton's camp gave their offer and when Houston came back with their offer, he was disappointed and right then, knew he wasn't coming back. I always assumed it was the amount of money but I wonder if it was the 2nd year option that was a turn off

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's the way people look at the world these days, either you are on my team or you are not, and anybody not on my team you wish the worst on.

It's how selfish, siloed and mean spirited we have become as a society, I am not a big Correa fan, but I don't hope he crashes and burns I don't really care about him anymore.

jayfree and Astrofan59 like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

Rileydog, IBTL and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. jayfree

jayfree Member

I agree with you... but only because I like Superman ;)

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I take whatever I can get.

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Holy sh*t whatever happened to Rasmus?! I forgot about him. He just went dead at the plate and the said “inner ear” and he was gone.

12. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

this is wacky.

mikol13 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait, I thought all of this was a done deal?

Something has to wrong with CC if they need certain language in a contract.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Carlos has become a two-bit hoe shopping around his services. Just get him a team! ;)

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Maybe 5-bit

Seriously he could have a deal with any of 10 teams tomorrow if he wanted/needed.

He ( Boras) is basically playing hard ball to get as little insurance language for a team that he can manage. His job is to get Correa the best guarantee he can.

Word is he does not want ANY altering of original offer but that feels unrealistic.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

So says Scott Boras. Based on how this offseason has gone the only team I can see being reckless and overpay on a Correa contract would be the Mets.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

This situation is crazy. I don’t think it can be fixed.

Over the past few days, the Mets have grown “very frustrated” with Carlos Correa negotiations, in the words of one source with direct knowledge of the team’s thinking, and are now considering walking away altogether.

Correa-to-Mets is not dead. In fact, the source said that in the end, they still believed the sides stood a strong chance of reaching an agreement. But the deal is clearly at an inflection point, and for the first time the team is seriously questioning whether it wants to proceed.

The sides have been in constant communication, much of it involving attorneys, but have as yet been unable to agree on contract language that would protect the Mets from risks associated with that injury.

As recently as Thursday, league sources were expecting resolution soon. It is unclear exactly what happened to sour the vibe, but now Correa’s camp is hearing from other teams, and the Mets are frustrated enough to think about abandoning the deal altogether.

As of Friday morning, the sides had not broken off talks, and continued to try to work through the issues.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Boras likely knows there are no real better options out there. After 2 teams expressed concerns over the physical, not doctor is going to stick their neck out to say the other 2 were just plain wrong with that kind of money on the line. Really sucks for Carlos, as it was something totally out of his control and happened years ago.

The good news is he will still be very wealthy, but he won't be guaranteed the kind of contract players of his caliber get.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

WTF did he do to that ankle in September? Obviously not much was made about it since the Twins were out of contention, but would be interesting to see if there were any immediate concerns or if he even took any further days off after.

While the Astros offer last year was made before this ankle injury re-surfaced, it is ironic that he will likely end up with something closer to that.

There's still also the probability that as long as his performance is high (and his health is stable), the short-term year to year with opt outs can have him make more money over the next 5-7 years with inflation and higher contract values... but won't have him cashing paychecks at age 40.