1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlos Arroyo traded to the Pistons.....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Gatorfan76, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1972052

The Pistons have sent Elden Campbell and a future No. 1 pick to the Jazz for point guard Carlos Arroyo, a league source told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

Carlos Arroyo
    Point Guard
    Utah Jazz

2004-2005 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    30 8.2 1.5 5.1 .401 .841

According to the source, the terms of the deal have been worked out and the teams are currently on a trade call with the league to make it official.

The trade should be an important one for the Pistons. They have been thin at the point guard position since letting Mike James leave in free agency this summer. The team's ot

her two point guards, Chauncey Billups and Lindsey Hunter are really combo guards. Adding Arroyo to the mix gives the Pistons depth and a true point guard who should help the team.

Arroyo, who had a major falling out with Jerry Sloan last month, is in the first year of a four-year deal that pays him $4 million dollars per year. Campbell is in the last year of his contract, giving the Jazz cap relief for the future.

Expect the Jazz to waive Campbell immediately. Once Campbell clears waivers, the Pistons likely will pick him back up.

Still, Utah's decision to dump Arroyo so quickly is shocking. Arroyo had gained a solid rep throughout the league with his play last season and in the Olympics.

What a difference a few months make. In camp, Sloan couldn't stop raving about how much Arroyo had improved.

"Carlos looks very good," Sloan told Insider in October. "He's much better than he was a year ago. He's in better shape. He's more confident. It's always fun to watch that with players.

"Some guys try to take the short route and they get out of shape so they can't play very well. That's my biggest concern with some of the guys in this camp. He came ready to compete, and I think he's capable of having a big year."

However, an injury in the preseason, combined with a breakout performance by Keith McLeod caused problems for Arroyo. The team seemed to play with more energy when McLeod was in the game.

Combine that with what Sloan believed to be Arroyo's questionable work ethic and attitude since his return, and maybe it was inevitable that the two were heading for divorce court.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

damn, beat me to it... :)

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Peter Vecsey got this one right.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/38952.htm

Carlos Arroyo, reduced to fourth point status (DNP-coach's decision, four straight games) for not conforming to Jerry Sloan's team concept and refusing to back off his macho stance, will be traded, but positively not to the Clippers. Look for the Pistons to get him today for Elden Campbell and a future first-round pick.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Arroyo pulled the Amaechi on Jerry!

Edit: I should say that it's ironic (and awesome) that the Jazz, the hip pick as the offseason darling for all the smart contracts they handed out to Arroyo, the Turkish double chin guy whose name escapes me at the moment, and Boozer are already starting to unload them.

#4 SamFisher, Jan 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  5. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Maybe this will benefit Darko as well. With Campbell gone this could free up some minutes for him to get on the floor...

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, no kidding.

This is what this says to me:

Assuming that the first round pick in this deal is from the Pistons, then the Rockets were not willing to part with their first-round pick for Arroyo. When they are going to waive Campbell (and likely still be responsible for his salary this year), a combo of Campbell + Piston's first-rounder is not better than the Rockets offering their first-rounder + trade exception.

I'm not necessarily saying the Rockets <I>should</I> have offered their first rounder, but just saying I think this shows they didn't offer it.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Im kind of happy they didnt. What i really want from the Rox this offseason is to #1. Sign S. Swift & #2. Sign Bobby Jackson. If we can some make som moves clear some salary room and go after these two guy we should be a lock for one of the top 3 teams in the west BUT than again its just wishful thinking on my part...

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I wasn't aware the Rockets were even trying to aquire Arroyo.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

His defense is not all that great, but he would have been a HUGE upgrade at the PG position on offense.

DD

10. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

I don't think Utah would have traded him to a Western Conference rival IMO.

11. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Another PG that Rockets missed out...no shocker.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What about picking up Campbell. To be honest, I have no idea how he's playing, but it seems like he could help down low.

13. SamFisher

Over Sura? I don't think so.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

As a PG?

Arroyo is a better spot up shooter and a little better passer.

Sura is a hustler and a good solid player, but I would like to see him off the bench on a real playoff championship caliber team.

DD

15. SamFisher

Arroyo is a career 33% 3 point shooter, Sura is career 32% 3 point shooter, not much of a gap there.

Arroyo is a better drive & disher, but he ain't exactly John Stockton.

He was great in that one game in the Olympics, but he seems like a pretty average player otherwise.

Certainly not worth a 1st rounder for the Rockets this year.

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I would have offered them a couple of 2nd round picks but I would have given them our 1st. Given our past, I don't think we could pick up a better pg in this draft. Plus, I think this will be the rare case where a Jazz player will look better on his new team.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wow - great pick up for cheap by Dumars. Now comes the fun of seeing how Arroyo takes to
    1) playing as a backup
    2) Larry Brown's notoriously hard PG standards

Evan

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The problem is Sam, that we have not really been doing too much with our first round picks lately, and this one will probably be low lottery at best.

DD

19. SamFisher

You're right, the last time we used a first round pick we wasted it on a guy was a total chump/borderline NBA talent who did nothing over 2 years plus. You know who I'm talking about.....:p

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Jason Collier?
    Bryce Drew?
    Eddie Griffin?
    Mirsad Turcsan?

Yep.

;)