1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlisle the new Mavericks head coach?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Illmatic, May 3, 2008.

1. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Member

This is the same guy who was fired because he couldn't get along with the Detroit staff and Joe Dumars? Well, then, Cuban should be a walk in the park!

Amazing.

3. GATER

GATER Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Carlisle has Van Gundy's personality with about 85% of VG's defensive coaching accumen. If you're successes came under Nelson and your failures came when Avery tried to make the Mavs into the image of the Spurs...why would you hire a coach several notches above Nelson AND Johnson with respect to being a control freak?

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

First off, Rick Carlisle knows his stuff. He can be a very good NBA coach in certain situations. On the other hand, he is a bad fit for the Mavs. The guy is VERY controlling as compared to other NBA coaches.

I can see this working out well but I can also see this hire being a flaming failure. If Carlisle can adapt some and be more flexible than in the past, the Mavs will be happy. But something in my gut says this is a mistake by Cuban.

IMO, the Sonics should fire P.J. Carlesimo and hire Rick Carlisle. That would be a masterstroke.

5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Member

Looks like it's legit, it's all over Dallas stations right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3379848

6. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

This union will likely break down say, after 2-3 seasons. Cuban is obviously trying to make a statement by hiring a tough, outspoken personality as opposed to a Mario Elie or such, whom he could have more management latitude over. I don't think Cuban can keep his hands off, unless maybe he buys the Cubs and focuses on ruining them full time.

At least it wasn't Van Gundy.