1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlisle Out Indefinitely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Jun 17, 2021.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I would wager that Carlisle will have very good success. Partly due to the job openings...there are some very good teams looking for coaches (and perhaps could be a couple more). Championship? Maybe not. Conference finals? I think so.

FWIW...you can't 'fluke' your way to a championship, particularly with a team that nobody thought would win. You might fluke your way to 1 win...not even a series.

He hasn't come close to that since because he's never had a team capable of it. COMPLETE roster turnover almost every year. No decent draft picks or significant free agents...ever. Yet made almost all of them winning teams. You HIGHLY undervalue the coaching that took.

The part about the NBA passing him by...possibly some truth to that. He is, I think, a lot like Bob Knight. I think what he coaches is very relevant in today's game. How he coaches it? Not sure. But he did adapt with Luka...not being nearly as controlling, especially of the PG, as he would like. I think much of the issue there was within the FO...to Luka's point, who was running the team, him or Bob? That that was even a question is not good.

I think proof of that is the simple fact that he left. What coach leaves that team, with that star, at that age? One who is tired of the internal BS, and think it prevents him from being successful. Rick is also a pretty astute guy, and might have realized it was just time for him to move on. One's message can wear out, even without the internal squabbles. But that's why, with a fresh start, with a good team, he will likely succeed.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Called it

Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Miraculous recovery.

6. ExTexanNowEastCoast

What, was Larry Brown not available?

Oh well, proof positive that life is about who you know not what you know. How anyone can see what he "accomplished" in Dallas pre- and post-2011 and think he is the guy to lead a team of young players is beyond me. When they fire him, whose fault will it be then?

As I said, whatever Kevin Pritchard is being paid it is too much.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The only think Rick Carlisle and Jeff Fisher have in common is that they are both coaches.

Rick Carlisle is one of the 5 best coaches in the NBA.

He is largely responsible for modern spacing on the floor, he is an excellent tactician and players improve under him.

He can at times be very abrasive and have run ins with players that do not play hard... but he also always has his team ready to compete.

JVG isn't taken seriously because he hasn't coached in a long time.... and even at his best, JVG wasn't as good or innovative as Carlisle.

roslolian, BallaDoc, ilias and 5 others like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

The Mavs and Cuban already have a terrible reputation when it comes to the treatment of women.... and now they are looking at Jason "Get over her b**** so I can hit you!" Kidd as their head coach? ...... at this point Cuban should just require all female fans be barefoot and pregnant in order to enter the arena.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Whatever your thoughts on Carlisle, why would any veteran coach want to take the Pacers job? Compared to the top teams in the East, they're not even close to competing for a title.

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

FWIW...that's the consensus on the Rockets forum (and they HATE Dallas). Luca plays a lot like Harden, and both are very well suited for MDA's offense. Houston actually played pretty good defense under MDA as well. It would be a very good fit for KP too, I think, as well as others. You don't have to beat your man off the dribble when everything is a fast break ;-)

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol was this supposed to go on another forum?

12. steddinotayto

Only casuals would call Rick Carlisle the "Jeff Fisher of the NBA".

The guy was responsible for bringing the Pistons back to life before he got fired and Brown was gifted the same team but with Rasheed Wallace for good measure.

Carlisle also had Indy humming along until the Malice at the Palace happened. The Pacers won 61 games the season prior to that brawl and started 7-2 before said brawl.

roslolian, BallaDoc and Nook like this.
  13. steddinotayto

I think familiarity played a huge role in it. The franchise, ownership, Larry Bird is still around at an advisory capacity. Plus, what other coaching job is out there? New Orleans has its own problems to deal with and based on how they fired SVG I don't know if the Pelicans want another "Old School" coach.

The Pacers really need two things: 1. LeVert and Lamb getting healthy and 2. One or two veteran free agents. They can easily be the 6th best team in the East next year after Milwaukee, Brooklyn, Philly, Atlanta, and Miami if just #1 happens.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Carlise is a damn good coach. His weakness is apparently his personality and getting along with everyone. He famously butted heads with Jkidd the championship season and is known for "getting on" certain players.

Speaking of good coaches with big flaws... someone should hire coach Joerger. The guy did great with Memphis and Sacto (improving both teams records while he was the coach) yet was fired from both places due to his inability to get along with management. His big mouth gets him into trouble, but in his last season as coach, the Kings had their best record since 2005.

roslolian and BallaDoc like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Good point. I think the answer lies in the question - why would anyone hire Rick Carlisle? Clearly, he felt that the other available jobs were not actually available to him, which is why he took the Indy job.

The most important thing a good GM should ask themselves when looking for a coach is: does this coach help create an environment where the best available players would like to come?

Sorry, but the Carlisle years in Dallas, Indy and Detroit say the answer is no.

People need to stop pinning over coaching accomplishments that are a decade old.

I stand by my statement - Carlisle is the Jeff Fisher of the NBA. Or if you prefer, the Jon Gruden of the NBA (since he, like Gruden, has one title). Fisher's record with Tennessee was very impressive early on. Between 1999 and 2003, Fisher's Titans teams went 13-3, 13-3, 7-9, 11-5 and 12-4. This included two division titles, two AFC conference championship games, and one Super Bowl, which was damn close. That is a impressive winning percentage. After that, the wheels fell off:

2004: 5 -11
    2005: 4-12
    2006: 8-8
    2007: 10-6
    2008: 13-3
    2009: 8-8
    2010: 6-10

Fisher was fired after 2010. Why? Could not get along with players.

I think the most damning indictment of Fisher, however, is his time as the Ram's coach. This dude ruined two really good, if not great, young QBs- Sam Bradford and Jared Goff.

Bradford may be one of the most accurate QBs in league history. Yet Fisher could never win more than 7 games. Goff took the same Ram's team that Jeff could only get to a 4-9 record to a 11-5 record the next season, and then a Super Bowl after that.

Why am I harping on Jeff Fisher? Because Fisher, like Carlisle, was hired for what he had done 13 years before he got to the Rams. Thirteen years in any business, including football and the NBA, is an eternity. Look at all these older coaches in the NBA that are having issues? Pop, Van Gundy (fired), Stotts (fired), Carlisle (fired), Casey (will be fired), Clifford (fired). Thibodeaux will be fired soon, trust.

NBA GMs, like many businesses, tend to base hiring decisions on comfort and reputation. This is a mistake made too often by too many hiring managers in every industry. I have seen it first hand and almost never works out. This hire won't either.

As my dad says, "You're right, I could be wrong. But I'm not".

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  17. ExTexanNowEastCoast

This may be the funniest thing I have read on this site in some time. His job as an HC is to get along with people. Nobody in the NBA needs a damn X's and O's coach. That is horse crap. Easily one of the most overused statements in the NBA today. If you are a GM and you value X's and O's in your coach, then you should quit and go coach/manage a Y league team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder how much power and control he will get in Indy
    They are not a bad squad . . .. middle of the road but not bad

Rocket River

19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Carlisle leaving puts up red flags. Why would he leave to got to a worse situation, especially for a franchise he's coached for before? What type of anger is Luka Doncic hiding behind closed doors that the Mavs have covered for all this time and maybe the main culprit in Carlisle's departure?

Jontro and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

heard from sources that luka wants a blek coach. #equality