1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carlisle Out Indefinitely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Jun 17, 2021.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Tilman is in cost cutting mode- there is no way that Carlisle even considers the Rockets unless he has an incredibly lucrative offer and some measure of roster control.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. dmoneybangbang

Of note? Having watched him across the aisle from our division, I feel like he's generally the most prepared and one of the best in game adjustment coaches.

Slyonebluejay, plates300 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

OKC is also pretty close to DFW....

B-Bob likes this.
  6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Very consistent record of getting teams to the playoffs. Successful coach at Detroit, Indiana, and Dallas. Made playoffs for several years after the championship in Dallas despite a piece meal roster that completely changed each year. Overall coaching record of 863-689.

jiggyfly likes this.
  7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's his reputation. Players also say he's very good at working with them to see what they like doing (or can do) and putting them in position to succeed. They also say he works with them individually to just make them better players.

Does he have an incredible record of success in the playoffs to show for it? No. But, his teams were seldom favored. Even the year they won the championship.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Tim McMahon said that in Luka’s rookie season, he had already realized that it wasn’t in his best interest or the team’s best interest to try and control Luka…so Luka has complete control of the offense just like Harden

this guy really is a young James Harden in almost every facet

Mavs might as well hire MDA…he’ll get along with Luka like he got along with and had a great relationship with James

9. opticon

opticon Member

I would break my heart. But you're not wrong. MDA would turn Dallas into a force.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Didn't know Doncic disliked Carlisle.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

There's nothing wrong with Bill Simmons rooting for his great white hypes.
    The fact is Luka, a lot like Curry, plays loose and with a smile. It sells. Harden's personality doesn't sell and the Harden media driven perception is a big part of it. Plenty of high melanin people hate on Harden and like Luka better too. There's been a lot of players through history that opposing fans love to hate, but respect, or straight up love watching them no matter the team. Harden is just one of those guys who seems very unlikeable by all opposing fans.
    As i typed this, Harden flopped twice.

BigDog63 and peleincubus like this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You're right. And I agree with pretty much every thing you said.

Caesar likes this.
  14. junk151

junk151 Member

FIFY: DFW is OKC South

15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Contingent of the Luka / Euro fanboy Mav fans are calling for a European coach cause NBA players and coaches are "too soft". They want a coach that'll yell at players lol.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Cuban made the right decision. The players on that team were old and on their last legs. Heck, even Dirk was never again as good as he was in that series. He was pretty downhill after that. What Dallas really needed was a Luka-type player to join after that title while Dirk was still a really good player. His mentorship would have been a positive influence on him.

As for Carlisle, he is the Jeff Fisher of basketball, except he has a title. I know Carlisle won a title, but many around the league view that as a fluke, mainly because he has never come close to that type of success since. The league has passed him by but he and many owners don't realize it yet. I am sure someone will hire him, and just like Stan Van Gundy, he will probably be fired or will quit after a single season.

If I were him, I would take a TNT/ESPN job and cash in. His coaching rep will only take a hit if he grabs the first role out there and falls flat on his face. I mean look at JVG; guy cannot sniff a job because players simply will not take him seriously.

hakeem94 and JumpMan like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But hey I was crazy for posting this. LOL.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/my-prediction-on-luka.311817/

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Luka will not ever get a championship, He whines entirely to much and will never except a guy on the team that is as good as him that he will need to win a chip.

I have not seen as bad a body language as he showed in the 4th quarter, he was out stamping his foot, I think I understand why the Suns coach did not draft him he knew who he was dealing with.

I think he is a bit a frontrunner that wants to get his for the accolades.

He is a great talent but I don't see much leadership and I can definitely see teammates turning on him with his antics.

I could also see him leaving for the big lights when it's time.

19. HardenVolumeOne

not gonna lie im shocked hearing this news around the mavs organization in the recent days.. that place is on fire. Reminds me of were the rockets were in 2016. But we lucked into dantoni the next year

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C'mon, the 2016 McHale firing wasn't a total shock. I recovered very quickly.

Yes, he should have been given more time but McHale isn't a coach, he was a former legendary player.

Carlisle is one of the longest tenured coaches.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.