1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry worth $25-30 over 3 years?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clos4life, Jun 9, 2008.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Concur. However, I'd like to see a lot more proof that he is worth that much money -- especially when paying him that amount precludes our getting a tall, young, athletic player who really is worth the MLE. Landry is one knee injury away from being out of the NBA.

2. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

What big stage? U mean 1 playoff series?

Amir didnt have 2 much chance becoz of Wallace's presence and he's young.

Both Blatche and Millsap had as good as playoff performance as Landry if not even better.

Also, both Amir & Blatche are young, full size PFs and really athletic and versatile of their sizes. They should have higher ceiling than Millsap and Landry.

Millsap and Landry are undersize PFs. JVG even said Landry is 6'6. JVG couldnt believe those listed height measurement.

Landry is a 24 year old undersized PF that get most of his pts from layups and dunks, has an incosistent jumper (Landry looks stiff at his jumper), has no post move (not NBA level at least). Anything more than MLE, the Rockets should do a S&T.

I really think Morey signed Landry for just 1 year contract was a booboo on Morey's job.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Imagine what Carl was thinking when he read that bit from TSN. He must have had a good laugh, bum knee and all.

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I guess JVG was at the NBA combine last year when Landry measured 6'7 3/4 without shoes and he does have a very midrange jumper and he can post up which fans will see this season (I watched him play in college many times). Most rookies don't play as well as he played in their first year and usually flourish their second year. Both Amir and Blatche probably do have higher sealings than the freakishly athletic Landry, but neither of them are nearly as good as Landry is right now.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know 30 million a year is insanity, since that would be almost as much what Yao makes over 3 years.

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate....I know it's to early to tell, but what if we cut Landry loose....we save money. But, we have no athletic players, outside of T-Mac, unless get some one in the draft or via trade. From a few games this year, Landry has shown that he can score when he is healthy, I say he could go to a team and average 12 ppg to 16 ppg.....mainly because he is an aggressive athletic player and developing a jumper.

If you look at some of the other top teams in West, outside of Phoenix and maybe Utah. They don't have a nasty, aggressive not really SF, not really PF kind of player who can be somewhat of matchup problem, like a Powe or Landry. The Lakers and Hornets really don't have strong sixth man.....or anyone to the caliber of Ginobili, Barbosa,Stackhouse, or Nick Van Exel. I think Landry could be that for us. A strong 6th man.

Again, 30 millions dollars is alot of money.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It was a big booboo. He was so concerned about possibly cutting bait with Landry after a poor summer league, that he lowballed Landry on guaranteed money, and then didn't lock up a team option on season two. Obviously Morey was in damage control mode, instead of actually thinking Landry could come in and perform immediately. I mean nobody was expecting that either, but Morey was supposed to bring risk management skills to the table, and in this case, he clearly screwed up by not assessing the risk for Landry doing well.

That being said, the author of this piece doesn't know what he's talking about. Nobody is going to pay Landry 25 million when his knee is still a question mark. What will probably end up happening is that Landry's agent will try and drum up some offers from around the league, but his restricted status and health concerns will scare away any big offers. Then he'll come back to the Rox for a 2-3 year deal for about 3 million per. Morey can redeem himself by somehow convincing Landry to take our LLE which is around 2 million, thereby preserving our MLE for another target.

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

we have seen only one year of his service. everyone is hyping on his potential. since it is potential, you have to make a decision whether you want to gamble or not.

if later on, he is what he is hyped, you definitely say our GM is a genius. what about landry didn't? Morey will be the worst GM in rox history. rox will be stuck with another bad contract.

hay, remember this is gambling. you can't win every case.

if i were GM, i wouldn't pay 8-10 mil/year for his potential just after one year service, plain and simple. i doubt other teams will be willing to pay that much either.

in case he goes to somewhere else, i don't think it's hard to replace him with a good player when there is a 8-10 mil/year as a bait. so why should we rush to pay him 8-10 mil/year?

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

24 posts to get to the the truth. people are freaking out about nothing. lock the thread.

9. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

For that price, we should let him go.

10. jump shooter

Exactly. The article is a joke.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I am glad there are people here who understand the rules to explain them to us! I kept thinking there was a rule about signing him that I was forgetting!

Thank you Mr.B

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They are all a 'Knee Injury' away from being out of the NBA.

Rocket River

13. radapharoah

radapharoah Rookie

HA…Im a homer just like the rest of you, but I cant let that slide. I would take Blatche 7 times a week and twice on Sundays. Have you ever watched this kid Play? He’s got all the skills of a Lamar Odem except He is more aggressive than Lamar and always is in attack mode. I don’t know what you’re smoking but Blatche has star potential and I would love to have him on this team. This kid will be an ALL STAR in 3 years, meanwhile Landry will be solid 28 year old backup with not nearly as much lift as he once had

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Uhh.. Landry can't get an offer above the MLE, even if the team has cap space or not. The writer's an idiot.

Have ya'll forgot about the Arenas rule?

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

For trading purposes, Landry becomes BYC on any contract exceeding ~750k in Year 1. IOW, unless you're dealing with MEM or PHI and maybe CHA, you can almost forget about signing Landry for $7m Year 1 and trading for Artest, Maggette, etc.

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

Give him a shoe contract.

17. Shay

Shay Member

HAHAHAHA Nice joke , that writer is stupid as hell.
    I will be absoloutely shocked if someone will offer him 5 million a year.

We will be able to sign him for a similar deal to Scola's.
    4 million per year is the max we will need to pay him imo.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Well we can't sign him to a contract starting at $7 million in the first place. But we can sign him to $2.5-$3 million/yr (his real value) and make use of his BYC status. I'm sure the clippers would love a cheap backup to Brand, and Sac could use Landry too. It'd be cheaper for both teams to take a package around Landry. We'd then deal with re-signing Artest or Maggette in the next offseason.

Not that either team would do that, they could all get more. But it's an option.

19. jump shooter

Dood your hillarious. After you get past Blatches wrap sheet you probably have some potential. I've watched Blatche play more than you have, give me a break before you start calling people out. Blatche will never sniff at being an allstar, he has major character issues (he was arrested last wedneday for drunken driving, just recently for soliciting prostitution, he's been shot and arrested multiple times), if he lasts another couple of years in the league I'll be surprised. Comparing him to Lamar Odom is a joke.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

All that really needs to be taken away from this thread is:

1) Yeah, Landry and his agent are going to try to milk us for every dime they can
    2) Lucky for us they will be unable to do so thanks to the Gilbert Arenas provision. His fate as a Rocket rests in our hands since we'll have the opportunity to match any offer he gets and the max offer he can get is the MLE.
    3) Gator's post about SnT's and how Landry becomes BYC thus making any trade nearly impossible to execute.

This author is demonstrating his ignorance with regards to simple rules of the NBA salary cap. You would think a guy getting paid to write articles specializing in the NBA would be aware of such things. Apparently not. Thanks for trying though. ;)