1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry worth $25-30 over 3 years?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clos4life, Jun 9, 2008.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Ok, I know Landry has potential, but 8-10 million per year kind of potential with a bum knee? I though $3 million per year sounded good, maybe $10 million over 3 years.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

link: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=421394

Why the NBA should not put out its draft guide 'til after it measures the prospects: Kansas State SF Michael Beasley is listed at 6-10 but checked in at 6-7 (6-8 1/4 in shoes) for the league's official measurements in Orlando. Will 3 inches hurt his status as the expected first or second pick? "He'll still go No. 2," says one personnel executive. Says another: "When you start quibbling over an inch or so, you're usually looking for a reason not to draft the guy." UCLA PF Kevin Love hoped to measure in at 6-9, and he did -- thanks to shoes that added 1 3/4 inches to his official height, 6-7 3/4. Love, who weighed about 270 pounds when the college season ended, checked in at 255 but with an unimpressive 13 percent body fat. He should still go in the lottery because his athleticism graded better than some expected during agility testing. Stanford C Brook Lopez, considered a top five pick, impressed scouts by coming in at 6-11 1/4 and 258 pounds without shoes. "He's big, and he's fit," says the personnel exec. Another big who turned heads was Nevada C JaVale McGee, who measured 6-11, 241 sans shoes, with a 7-6 wingspan. . . .

The Blazers continue to go slow with C Greg Oden (microfracture surgery). They are not allowing him to join a squad of young players training against the Olympic team in late July. Two other Blazers, SG Brandon Roy and PF LaMarcus Aldridge, are expected to to play, as are draft prospects Beasley and Memphis PG Derrick Rose. . . .

Keeping restricted free-agent F Carl Landry will be a challenge for the Rockets. He is in line for a three-year deal for between $25 million and $30 million, which probably would force the Rockets to pay the luxury tax. Landry's first choice, however, is to stay in Houston. . . .

Give Cavaliers assistant G.M. Chris Grant credit for recognizing a good situation when he has one. The up-and-coming exec turned down the Hawks' general manager job not only because of Atlanta's less-than-stable ownership situation but because he believes in the direction of the Cavaliers. He does not sound like someone too worried about losing SF LeBron James in two years.

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I don't think he is worth 8 million. I wouldn't want to sign him for that much.

3. engr chris

engr chris Member

No way he's worth around 10M per year. For me he is around 3M max

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

WTF?

No way is he in line for that kind of deal......that is nuts...

DD

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

those three inches on beasly is going to make a world of difference in the nba. I love the guy's game, I loved jamal mashburn's and glenn robinson's. mashburn was bigger and probably had more range and could probably handle the ball a little better. robinson I thought had a little more skill than beasly

I know that the purpose of this thread is to discuss landry but that caught my eye.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

he's not a good defender. has a decent midrange shot and can dunk. cant post up at all... not worth that much for sure. if someone did offer him that kind of money, couldn't we do a sign and trade? though we may be paying the tax, it'd be worth more than landry.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this line of thinking is why the rockets are stuck in mediocrity. "oh, he's just an athlete" newsflash, he's exactly what the rockets don't have enough of. did you see the difference in the team in utah when he played well

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If he gets that kind of offer, maybe the Rockets can do a SnT.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeah, but come on, $8-10 per year kind of difference? In that case Rafer Alston should be making max money seeing what difference he made vs. Utah.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

rafer has a proven track record, landry has a track record with his short time on the court. that being said, I'm not saying he should get that kind of money. but $5MM to $6MM is reasonable to me.

this team has to take some chances if they really want to maximize the yao/tmac potential

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

There is no team in the league that will pay him that much cash. But, if that's the case, then,

1. good for him.
    2. Bye.
    3. we get to use the whole MLE to bring in someone else.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I kinda see him signing something along the lines of a $3 to $4MM per year offer or a very short contract.

13. conquistador#11

it might be a mistake on the writer's part. It has to be.

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

How the hell did this guy get a job writing about the NBA when he clearly has no clue about the sport???

:confused:

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

DD, I don't believe that article. Also, how come the guy who wrote that didn't mention Beasley's standing reach and wingspan.

16. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I think the guideline for Carl Landry's contract extension is similiar to Andray Blatche or Amir Johnson who signed their contract extension last year, i.e. between 2.5-3.5 millions per year.

Carl Landry, at the present moment, is not even better than Paul Millsap. 8-10 millions per for Landry is a joke from the writer's part.

17. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

which champion team paid that kind of money to a unproven second year player? Spurs paid that amount for Parker and Manu

after they became ALL STARs.

Only bad teams do that kind of crazy stuff, like Knicks, and Rockets in the Francis times, and we are finally out of it completely with the James trade.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fully agreed. 3-4 M per year would be more than enough, easily. We overpaid too many times.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The difference between Amir and Landry though is that Carl has done it on the big stage, whereas Amir had not at the time their contracts were up.

The question about Carl's knees though can NOT be overlooked.

DD

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

this is exactly the line of thinking that is the reason they don't have those players you covet. Kelvin Cato, Moochie Norris, Mo Taylor...any of that ring a bell (especially Cato). Yeah, let's way overpay for a guy with a very very very small track record.

Do the Rockets need more athletes? Yes. Could pretty much 90% of the players on the AND1 tour fill that void? Yes. Is there a reason they aren't in the NBA? Yes.

I guarantee you if the team signs or trades for or drafts more good role players to almost all star level players, great athletes (Landry) or just good ones (Mike Miller?), the Rockets will be a better.