1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry assaulted, shot in the leg (out 1-2 weeks)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Mcgrady fan

Mcgrady fan New Member

well i tink i shud track down landry's shooter n show dem wats up... ;)

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

some of these new questions were answered in the last few pages....i posted an update also stating that it was landry and the girl who ran, accoring to KHOU, not just landry. He's suppose to speak later after today's practice.

3. fmp087

fmp087 Member

When they said flesh wound, I automatically thought that the bullet only grazed his calf, I didn't think it was lodged. But you would be surprised what you are capable of when the adrenaline gets pumping.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6319001.html

With the Rockets’ morning walk-through nearly complete, forward Carl Landry emerged from the courtside weight room walking with crutches and wearing his familiar enormous smile.

Teammates stopped to applaud. Some shouted. His mother, Anita, watched and gave thanks.

"I’m blessed," Anita Landry said. It’s a blessing because it could have been a total opposite. I could have come … to see them pull a sheet from over his head to show me that’s my child. I’m grateful that he’s alive. It’s a blessing."

Landry, 25, was shot in the lower left calf early Tuesday morning near downtown. He was treated and released at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center and is expected to be out for one to three weeks, but said that so far he has been sweating and thinking about the incident constantly, while struggling to sleep since.

"I could have been dead," Landry said. "The shooter was 10 yards or less away. I’m 6-9 and I had a bright shirt on. I don’t know how he missed, but thank God he did and he hit the lower part of my leg. Yeah, definitely, I could have been dead. And you guys … would be talking about the funeral that you were probably going to go to in a couple of days. I’m blessed and lucky to be alive."

While police continue to investigate the incident, Landry had been asked not to discuss all of the details. He said he went out to eat at about 2:30 a.m., a few hours after the Rockets returned from Monday’s game in New Orleans.

"I was side-swiped once and turned around," he said. "Hit me again on the other side. I ran into a big street light. The car was totaled at the time and I knew something was going on, like they were looking for somebody. Both of the guys got out of the car. I tried to plead my case, saying I’m not the guy they were looking for. But immediately they start shooting. The second shot hit me in the left calf."

Landry said he does not know what was said, but thought the shooting might have been a case of mistaken identity.

"One of the guys, the shooter, mumbled something. I’m not quite sure what they said," Landry said.

"I ran about six blocks. After they fired two shots, one of the guys chased me for about a block. I was able to outrun the shooter and I hid in between a house and a fence. I was so frightened so I started to knock, I was ringing doorbells like crazy. One person came down and said he was going to call the police. He said he was going to call 911. I saw a cop car drive by about 20 minutes after he said that. I went up to the cop car and they helped me.

"I feel good just to be alive, blessed at the same time. The situation that happened was really scary. It could have happened to anybody. I’m just happy to be here.

"You always see that type of stuff on TV and you hear about it on the newspaper or watch the news, but you never think it can happen to you. It was really scary when the bullets were flying. I’m just glad that it hit me in a place where I could continue to run and get away."

Landry’s agent, Buddy Baker, said in the coming days he would try to determine whether Landry might been counseling. He said he already knew that the incident would change him.

"Going out at 2:30 in the morning is probably not something I’m going to do any more, not only myself but my teammates," Landry said. "Everybody in the NBA, coaches the players, I’m sure it will have an effect on a lot of people."

For now, however, Landry said he thought of himself as fortunate.

"I was out there in between the fence and the house bleeding to death," Landry said. "My blood was coming. I never bled that much in my life. Blood was coming out of my leg so fast. I was hoping and thanking God that I didn’t pass out. Hey, I’m here and I have a smile on my face.

"I’m always sweating and thinking about it all day, everyday. It’s all right. I’m blessed to be here. Things like that, people don’t survive getting shot at sometimes. I’m blessed to be here. Life has to go on."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

5. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

http://www.snopes.com/crime/gangs/carbump.asp

6. eman

eman Contributing Member

Thank a cop today. We are going to be needing the police more and more.

7. redao

redao Member

Landry is our lucky charm.

8. fmp087

fmp087 Member

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Man, the more I think about it the more I feel for Carl. He's the last type of person stuff like this should happen to. Sad times we all live in but that's just facts of life right now. He will need counseling no doubt about that. I don't even think he'll sleep for the next week with all that crap on his mind. They need to find these @ssholes and give Landry some piece of mind.

10. ILoveTheRockets

You will not catch many Mexicans joining MS-13 because the majority of Mexican gang members have ties to Mexican Mafia, and Texas Syndicate. Both of those gangs despise MS members. 80% of MS-13 members are Salvadorian.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I have no worries for Carl Landry. He'll take out everything on the court when he plays.

Carl Mandry has been awakened.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'll be surprised if they could not find a suspect because one of these scumbags will be bragging about shooting at Landry. Freaking scary stuff, seeing no one is around at that time of the day, it probaly felt like the end of the world. One thing is for sure, Landry doesn't own a gun.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm thinking the facts of this case may disprove their "False" claim, at least to a small degree. We don't know the whole story yet, but from everything we have learned from Landry about the details of what went down, it seems to fit the MS-13 initiation rumor very, very well.

14. BleedRed

BleedRed Member

yea thats the most important thing :rolleyes:

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont know a lot about ms-13, but from what i've heard they don't sound like the type of gang to that would just stop chasing a guy. I dont think it's related to them unless it was just some wanna be gang bangers.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think he just meant other places like honduras, guatemala, etc.

I'm still wondering why no other information was released about their vehicle. Something tells me they have a solid lead. They usually stay very quiet when they do, so they won't tip them off.

17. YugoRocketsFan

I at first thought that Rafer would have shot Landry, but then I noticed that Rafer cannot shoot so it cannot be him.

18. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If these fools were stupid enough to use their own vehicle that may be the case.

Don't they usually use a stolen vehicle though?

19. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

good point but the Gunmen DID miss actually...