1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Career Advice (Chemical Plant Operator)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck88, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Thanks in advance for reading:

I have a bit of a predicament on my hands and need a bit of help. I am currently employed as a letter carrier with the Postal Service which means I have a very easy, secure, and decently paid position with the US government that includes pretty good benefits such as health care, plenty of vacation, sick leave, retirement, etc. I will never be rich but will live a comfortable life with little or no worries in terms of job security for the rest of my life.

Here is my dilemma - I applied for an Operator Technician position with a major chemical company here in Houston about a month ago just on a whim. I took the test and was called back for a formal interview - to my surprise I have been offered a job. I really didn't expect it; I really just did it because I knew how much money they made. Since the offer I have done a little bit of research and it seems like a pretty good deal. They offer good benefits (health, 401K, etc.) and other then the fact I would be back in Social Security and have to work and extra 5 years before I am eligible to retire, the benefits seem pretty equivalent to that of the postal service. Its shift work (12hr shifts - 4 days on/ 4 days off) but it seems like a pretty good job.

The one person I spoke with who works for the chemical company says I would be stupid not to take the position. He told me that since he has been there, there have been no layoffs and they only hire about once every 4 years or so. He was basically letting me know I was very lucky to get the offer and once I start I will be wondering what I was even thinking about.

I guess I am wondering what you guys think and if you know anyone who works as an operator - what do they think. Thanks for any advice.

2. hainguyen281

hainguyen281 Member

what chemical company? I work for a chemical company in houston too, but I dont work in the plant.

3. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've worked in chemical plants and refineries for the past 7 years or so. As long as you can handle the shift work, a Chemical Plant Operator is a great job. There's a lot of responsibility and a lot to know, but it's usually a pretty light work load. Usually, there's as much overtime as you want to work, and an awful lot of operators make well into six figures. Oddly, I've known exactly one person who hated an operator's job: my cousin who left a small-town postmaster job to take it. He didn't like being on the bottom. He quit after just a little while to open his own business.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Go for the mula. More stress, but you get paid for it. 4 day work weeks is good. 12 hour shifts suck, but I'm not sure how physically demanding the plant job is.

On a side note, how hard is it to get an office job working with the Postal Service? I've been thinking about applying. My dad used to work there for 10 years before he passed away. He did pretty well balancing a business overseas and his Postal Service job here in Houston.

6. Landlord Landry

dont do it.

I worked for Fugro Geosciences for 5 years, and have been in nearly every plant in the Houston area from petroleum hydrocarbon refineries like Exxon in Baytown, Shell Motiva, to chemical plants like Dow in Freeport. I was also in Texas City BP when it blew up in 2005.

The biggest reason I quit Fugro was because of the chemical plant work. The money might be good, but trust me after about 2-3 months of being inside a plant.....you'll seriously think you have died and gone to hell. Try walking around a plant in a Nomex and a SCBA for 3-4 hours a day in July, better yet try out running an exploding isom exchanger, then tell me you'd be stupid for not taking the job.

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I just read your post to my husband who is a chemical engineer and has been a plant manager in the Deer Park area. He has worked in the industry for 20+ years.

He says if you can handle the shift work it is a great job and you will get plenty of overtime if you want it. Great paying job with good benefits. The only drawback is being able to handle the shift work.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My uncle has been doing something like this for about 20+ years and he makes a small fortune. I think the biggest thing for him were the weird hours and long shifts, but that improves the longer you are there.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i only work for a place that does contract work for refineries, but from what i can tell and from what people who know more than i do say, operators don't exactly work hard (not that i do either).

while i'm sure the nomex in the sun time isn't fun and the plant could explode (even if it doesn't actually explode there is plenty that makes it a real danger to be in those places, which is why i'm not the biggest fan of going there) if you want pretty good money without working too hard (if not a short amount of time each day) then it seems like a good job to me.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I have 2 female cousins who work for Exxon, the same shift that you're talking about. They say it is hands down the easiest job they've ever had. Also, the money you can make is comparable to engineers. Unless you feel as though you need time to do some activity every night then it is a no brainer.

I would consider it some of the best work you could do without having a college degree.

11. Buck88

It’s with Lyondell...which means I need to stay away from the cranes! ;)

I had to take the civil service test for the letter carrier position and all letter carriers are hired by their test scores, not sure how office jobs are filled but I'm sure they are listed at www.usps.com it might help to know someone on those positions but not sure.

Thanks to all for the advice....keep it coming as I am really torn here. It’s hard to leave a very stable and secure position for one that is totally different in all way....even when it appears to be a superior employment.

12. WWR

WWR Member

I know a lot people that are operators; several of them being family members.

I will deal you some facts that I have observed over the years:

You will not love your job.

You will be bored.

Your job will be incredibly easy.

You will probably put weight on.

You will have a lot of time off of work (vacation, etc).

Everything you breath in is a carcinogen.

You will have a good retirement.

It will not be a problem making six digits a year.

Those are just some of the facts that I have observed over the years. Just being honest.

13. Classic

Classic Member

Take the job. Live the same lifestyle you're living now and save/invest the difference. Find something to do on the 4 days you have off and let your money start working for you like rental properties or something. Become your own boss after 10 years. Probably what I'd do but I know nothing of the chemical plant work.

14. Landlord Landry

exactly!

you'll be lucky to not die before 60, but hey! you'll have a ton of cash! woot!

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Go postal man. Just don't steal my Netflix movies out of the mail.

16. Buck88

Thanks for the help and advice! I have decided to take the position and hopefully I can handle the shift work.

17. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Congrats on the position, sorry I'm a bit late to offer my 2 cents. I used to work for a company that produced chemicals and delivered to all of the major plants around Houston (BP, Lyondell, City of Houston, Equistar, Nalco, etc.). I didn't work in the plant, but was pretty close with a lot of the guys out there. They all told me that if you can get used to the shifts, then you're in good shape. The 4 days off is great, and with gas prices going up, that is less driving you'll be doing. They also said the overtime was great. A couple of negatives....sometimes you are on call and have to come in on a moments notice, have to answer a phone at 2am on your day off, or are forced to work additional hours because someone else didn't show up. The main thing that always concerned me was the air anyone was breathing in when they were actually in the plant....I wonder if there is some type of study you can find where they actually figured the average age of people that worked in the plant industry for 5-10+ years. Anyway, congrats again, to be honest, I think I would have taken the job as well, it's hard to pass up an oppurtunity like this, you made the right decision.

Pugs

18. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Could you also read this post to your husband?

I will be graduating with a chemical engineering degree from UT this fall - I have two summers of refinery experience and one summer of chemical process simulation experience.

:eek: :D

---

On topic, if you do take this position, please be nice to any interns that might come to you for help. I had a great time working with operators when I was interning at a plant.

EDIT: Congrats on the new job!

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Do you really want to work in a plant for the rest of your life?

It seems like you're going to be in it for the long haul (you were talking about another 5 years before you could retire, so i assumed you woulda have to stay the entire time).

Money is important, but its not everything. Just take whatever job you'll enjoy and can live comfortably with.

20. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Sorry, we are Aggies!!! ;) No can do.