1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cardinals @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WHOOOOO YESSSSS A GRAND SLAM!!!! WE ARE BACK IN THIS ONE>.....oh wait....:mad:

12-1......what a waste of 1hr+ of my time....

Time to play BFV to release some of my tension.

GEEZ...before I finished this Stone nearly gave up another HR!! Just foul! .:(

Geez....are they ever going to get a single?! :confused: DOubles....HR's....>Doubles....HR's....Doubles....HR......:(

For some reason being ranked #1 in the power rankings doesn't feel so good right now....

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ok, its time to start plunking people.

J/K

errrrr ....maybe :confused:

3. Summer Song Giver

Ok guys, let's get a positional player in at pitcher, it's about time now.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Looks like a "scrub pitcher roast" night.
    :(

5. Uprising

Let the flamming begin....:mad:

Geez....are they ever going to settle for singles?! DOubles....HR's....>Doubles....HR's....Doubles....HR......

I would be tearing stuff up if I paid money to watch this game.....

ONE positive: Atleast they are using up all their runs tonight. Expect a low run game by them tomorow...I hope.

6. Uprising

Why don't we let this guy Chad Harville pitch more?! He looks good out there. 95mph pitch. Blew it right by Pujols. Pujols out now on weak grounder.

7. Uprising

Bases Loaded!!! WHOOP!!!!!

Zero outs, too bad we gave guys like Bagwell the night off already! :(

WHooo Better get Berkman away from the ump, or he will be ejected!

That was total BS....that throw was too low!!!!

#67 Uprising, Apr 21, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  8. Uprising

WHOOOOOO Double by Ensberg!!!!! 12-6 Birds!!!!

Ugh....sorry about so many posts in a row.... I am a post w****.

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I didn't like that *swing at the first pitch* strategy by Ausmus.

Rather, I like the "let the pitcher hang himself" method. I'd say, the more an opposting pitcher pitches, the better. Make him think under presure. Especially when we ARE NOT facing a great pitcher and who's trying to protect a *bases loaded* situation.

That seems to work better -> Milk the opposing pitcher for all that he's worth.

#69 DavidS, Apr 21, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

At least you guys got something positve in this game. It looks like Dotel has most of his velocity back.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Whoops.

12. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Whoo!

My first post in this forum. I grew up in Missouri so I love the Cards!

That said I don't really think you guys have that much to worry about. I really didn't expect the win yesterday, and today's win is like extra.

No one has a better lineup than the Cardinals. Scott Rolen -- HOW GOOD. But the ownership won't shell out for good starters. Matt Morris looked like Cy Young material years ago but not the same anymore. Woodie Williams... was one of the best pitchers in the league the last two years but the innings is getting to him. And that's our best two starters, sigh. I cannot believe we have guys like Suppan and Marquis and Carpenter startings. Jeez... give me that Maroth guy.

So anyway... you're main competition is the Cubs.

See you the next time the Cards win haha...

Kilgore Trout... you aren't by chance a Cards fan too are ya?

13. Kilgore Trout

Looks like we have another team in common along with the Rockets and Chiefs. I lived in St. Louis for a few years in the 80s when i was really young. My parents and I went to the games at Busch all the time after eating some good Italian grub on the hill.

The past 2 games helps a lot to make up for the complete beating the Stros put on us last week.

I think the rotation will be at least as good as last year (which still kind of sucked) The pen shoud be better too even though its off to a shaky start. The main problem we are going to have is how much the Astros have improved their pitching. Plus their lineup looks very solid maby even deadly.

As for our rotation goes, Morris and and espcially Woody are looking pretty rough to start the season. I think Morris will be fine and win 20 games or so but Woody seems to be suffering from dead arm. If Woody continues to suck badly we are in trouble. But give Marquis a chance, I think he is going to be very solid. Carpenter is likely crap and Suppan is at least an innings eater.

14. yipengzhao

Wow you are my favorite poster now. As for the Cardinal's problems, it all traces back to the death of Darryl Kile. You know we'd have a solid solid rotation if we still had him. So unlucky... also unlucky was the signing of Tino Martinez... sigh. But I mean we did get some good players like Rolen, and you know I think Sanders is a really solid signing too.

Funny how death keeps ruining our teams eh? D. Thomas on the Chiefs and then Kile on the Cards.

15. Kilgore Trout

That was unfortunate that such a key player died on each team. As for the Cards Morris especially wasnt the same after Kile's death.

As for the player acquisitions, in recent years, except for Tino have been mostly brillant. Sanders looks great especially considering that Drew is already banged up. I wish I could say the same about the pitching. I wish we would stop digging though other team's trash looking for pitching.

16. Kilgore Trout

To offset the Cards talk in this tread i will add that i looks Harville shows a lot of potential. I dont like seeing another hard throwing pitcher in your pen. Especially considering you got rid of Saarloos in the process.

17. yipengzhao

hmm... I wish we could do this without jacking the thread... but you bring up a good point. We just don't have money to get good pitchers through free agency. They held on to Drew for too long. There was talk of Drew for Vasquez last year except Montreal was like no, except I don't think they got anyone back for him... so they might as well have helped us out. :( I would have liked to sign Greg Maddux... except that's like bringing Karl Malone on the Rockets. Remember that year when we were up 3-0 and then the Braves won anyway? Maybe it was 3-1. But heartbreaking man. That's why I hate the braves.

18. yipengzhao

yeah... sorry about the cards talk.

anyway, the stros would be better than the cubs if Kent weren't over the hill. and what ever happened to 40 homer berkman?

19. Kilgore Trout

At least we are jacking a thread with Cardinals in the title ;)

I dont really fault them for holding on to Drew for so long. The guy had/maby has crazy potential. I saw him play in the college WS back when i lived in Omaha and he was very dominent. Vasques would have been nice but we would have had trouble paying for him. We still got Marquis, King and Wainright out of him.

I really dont hate the Braves but that reverse sweep was extremly painful. One game away from the WS in 96 and we couldnt close it.

20. Kilgore Trout

Kent isnt quite as good as he once was but is still good for 25+ HR's and 100 RBI's which is still badass for a 2B. Im not sure whats up with Berkman but for our sake i hope i doent figure it out. He is still playing really solid but when he had that breakout year in 01 i thought he was going to be one of the best hitters in the NL.