1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car Wrecks Suck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Mar 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I was in my first automobile accident on Thursday. I was heading back to work from my lunch break and a woman ran a stop sign and t-boned me on the driver's side. I was taken from the scene to a hospital where I was diagnosed with a shoulder strain and sprain and a concussion. Had to visit my physician today and again next week and am scheduled for a MRI tomorrow. My physician and the ER physician both wanted my to see a neurologist but neurologists in my area do not see patients in post-MVA situations. :confused:

Here we are 5 days later and I still feel dizzy when I stand up for long periods. When I visited my doc today he told me that is pretty regular with concussions and it should wear off 7-10 days after the accident. My shoulder is still killing me as well.

I had never been in an accident before this but I guess it could be a lot worse, I mean I am alive and I know several other people who have not been as fortunate. The pain and dizziness sure do suck though as do all these solicitations from lawyers for representation. Having to depend on others for a ride and being without my car suck even more.

The really bad thing is I only had 5 more payments on my car before it was paid off and now I don't now if they will total it or repair it. I just wish I had my car and my health back.

Everybody, be careful on the roads out there!

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Good to hear you're going to be ok.

If insurance decides to total your vehicle, don't take the first offer.

3. rawool

rawool Member

Damn woman drivers... :mad:

I'm glad you're OK.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Weird, I came here to post a thread about this same thing.

I was also T-Boned 3 weeks ago which caused over $5000.00 of damage to my '08 Z. With the 09 370Z coming out, and now this wreck my car has lost pretty much all value, but I had planned on keeping it anyways for a while and buying a Jeep or a truck to drive to work work. The other driver has crappy insurance and I couldn't get anywhere with them and I didn't want to claim it on mine, so I hired a lawyer. I had severe whiplash, major back pains and my left arm in constantly numb and my fingers always feel like pins are sticking in them.

The chiropractor isn't helping, I'm getting zero sleep and I now also have an MRI scheduled for this week. Nothing worse than driving home from work, following the laws and someone not paying attention and pulling an illegal U-turn and ruining a my car and my back. Then try dealing with an insurance company who won't return calls, puts you on hold for an hour then hang up, not meeting me to give me their estimate on the damage when I took a day off from work....total :mad: . I now spend my lunch at work with my office door closed just to rest my head on my desk as my head feels so heavy. Good times.

5. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like you are getting the typical treatment from the insurance carrier. Good decision to hire an attorney.

1 person likes this.
  6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

sorry to hear guys.. glad you're ok since getting t-boned (especially) can be way messier than that..

Longhorn, wondering how you get t-boned when someone else is making an illegal U.. hard to imagine the situation i guess

1 person likes this.
  7. LonghornFan

It's hard to describe without seeing the street, but I was going south on Red Bluff right past HWY 225 in Pasadena, and there's an extension type road that runs into Red Bluff from 225, but they have a yield sign. The other driver pulled a hard left ignoring the sign trying to go back north and slammed my side as I was heading south. Left a nice Nascar tire mark down the side, bent the rocker panel (my car is like 6 inches from the ground and he was driving an SUV. That's one hard hit.) I was hit so hard and ruined the whole left side of the car, front quarter panel and drivers side door, gone. Rims, gone. Completely freaked me out, and I'll never forget that sound. Sickening.

8. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

get well dude. i almost got hit today as well. this lady was trying to change into my lane when we were basically parallel. no signal lights either. i had to put on the breaks hard and barely escaped it. sigh...

9. LonghornFan

Pun, if you need a good, respectable lawyer who'll bust his ass for you, email me through the board. You're gonna need one with the injuries you suffered and the damage to your vehicle.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, I'm glad you're ok. It's amazing how your life can change in a split second. My girlfriend was in an accident a while back with a driver that ran a red light, she has had lower back pain ever since. We tend to take little things like that for granted, that is, until we realize how much we miss it. Hopefully in the 7-10 days you will be back to normal and nothing like this has happened to you.

A few years ago I was in an accident going back to work on my lunch break. I was in the far right lane sitting at a red light. When it turned green I went, and a car came from the passenger side and slammed into me after running the red light. Turns out it was one of my coworkers, and she actually had the nerve to say it was me that had run the red light. The only reason I won and it went on her insurance was because the guy that was in the lane on my left at the red light was nice enough to stop and leave his name and number saying he would talk to the insurance company and tell them what had happened. He said he did it because if I hadn't been the one to get hit, it would have been him. Luckily I didn't have any bodily harm, but they did refuse to total my car even though the repair cost more than the actual value of the car.

I'm sorry this happened, I really hope everything turns out well for you. And like another poster said, if they offer to total your car, don't take the first offer. Also keep in mind that you may have an injury that nags you the rest of your life, make sure you make this very clear. Good luck, and I wish you the best.

Pugs

1 person likes this.
  12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Dude... take care! Wrecks do completely stink, especially when on the punished end of it.

You may want to find a good chiropractor, when I had an accident like a t-bone as you did, the chiropractic route to feeling better was all that worked.

Medical docs will treat symptoms... pain killers, anti-inflamms...

Chiro will treat the realignment that most likely needs to happen, and that will help resolve the cause of the symptoms.

13. droxford

droxford Member

Hope you guys get to feeling better, and wishing the best on your resolutions with insurance and car replacement/repair!

1 person likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

How does that work? You just say, "no thanks, I want more money or else I'll..." what?

15. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about the wrecks. I just had one 3 weeks ago and I'm still having back pain. Haven't been able to work out and play ball. Its affecting me mentally and physically. I hope everyone recovers soon.

16. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Appeal to the Texas Department of Insurance :cool:

17. no_answer

no_answer Member

You tell them you're going to get a lawyer, because you're not happy with what they're offering.

Also, if the cars not totaled make sure you get your own appraiser to come out and give you a depreciated value. My husband did this. It was a small cost that got us a couple thousand more then the insurance company offered.

Another time someone backed into me and I took my daughter to the doctor even though she looked fine. Anyway, she was fine and at first they offered me $250 to say she wouldn't need any more treatment and I told them i'd have to talk to my husband. Then he said he would give me $500, so I called my husband and excepted.

So, never accept first offers from insurance companies!

Oh yeah, neither of the accidents were our faults. :D

18. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Damn. Hope you feel better soon.

Car wrecks do suck and all the ish with the insurance companies suck just as bad.

Take it easy bro, and hey at least you'll have more time to play some COD

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Years ago, my car was totaled in an accident and the insurance company made an offer and my dad told them it was too low. They reconsidered and offered more money. I don't remember the exact nature of their conversation, but I believe he brought up how the accident wasn't my fault, how I had been a good driver, how much a replacement would cost, how we had been loyal State Farm customers, etc. and they agreed.

20. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I was in an accident last week as well. I was leaving work and going down my parking garage. As I was going down one level a girl was parked on the side and just backed right into me.

I just had my car for 3 months. It is a 2009 BMW 335i convertible. Man was I pissed as it totally crushed my passengers side front (bumper) and quarter panels. Fortunately no one was hurt. Her 99 Accord took very little damage. Just a few scratches on her rear bumper. I took my car in to the BMW Collision center the next day and they estimated about $8000 worth of damages. Fortunately she had State Farm and I have already received a check for the rental car and car damages. Dealing with State Farm was excellent.

I am dissapointed as my car's value has totally been shot as it is now been in an accident. But that is life and car's can be repaired. Just trying to count my blessings and be positive. I hope to have my car back by this Friday.