1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car with Salvage Title

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jackfruit, Jun 26, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

So I found this 2010 Infiniti G37 with 42,000 miles for $16,800. Only issue is that the car has a salvage title and was declared a total loss. As per the CarFax, it had "moderate to severe right front damage" and "multiple airbags deployed." After the car was repaired, it had a 2nd accident, which according to the CarFax resulted in minor damage to the left front end.

The KBB on the car is just under $25k. Do you think I can bring the price down more, or is $16,800 worth jumping on. The car looks great from the pictures and is being sold by an Infiniti dealership.

Thanks.

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Why buy a salvaged car? It has horrible resale, and insurance companies won't give you proper coverage.

3. BleedsRocketRed

Get it inspected VERY thoroughly before you buy. (I cant stress this enough)

Also, remember don't expect it to be an easy sell later on as most people will avoid salvage cars like the plague. There is a reason why they are so cheap, nobody wants them. Insurance companies will not give you full coverage of any kind.

Get documents, see what was fixed, look at an itemized reept for the work. If they cant provide you with detailed paperwork regarding what was fixed, then run far far away.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i know people who have purchased salvage vehicles....they can be good buys, if you know how to inspect them. They wouldn't touch one with major damage and deployed airbags though. Too high of a risk, especially after a second accident.

Personally, I would put the selling price closer to 14-15K and around 12-13K to close the deal, but dealers, of course, will want more than if buying from the owner.

Also, check when it was damaged and how many miles it had then. If it has been used very little since, then you run a greater risk of an issue popping up that wasn't noticed.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If your going to spend that kind of money, you could get a nice 2-yr old car (that still has some warranty left) and is not a salvage title. Accidents of that caliber do take a toll on an engine in the long run.

Don't be stuck on how nice a car looks or the brand name. Car's are meant to be driven..if you're looking at a car being a status symbol, you'll most likely throw more money away during your life than you should. Remember, cars will 99% of the time go DOWN in value. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a car, because you'll never recoup the costs. Drive cars until they die so you get your moneys worth..otherwise you are wasting money on a bad financial decision.

6. Classic

Classic Member

This.

No way i'd drop 16.8k on it.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So you're saying not only was it in an accident and the air bags were deployed but it was also in a SECOND wreck? Are you not doing the math?

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Unless you are versed in judging structural repairs, then stay far away.

9. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Hey, there's nothing wrong with buying a car with a salvage title. Just make sure you inspect the car inside and out. If you aren't car savvy, then have a mechanic check it out for you. Make sure it runs like it's supposed to. No weird sounds, alignment is good, paint/body is straight and doesn't look mismatched. Yes, if you do decide to sell the car in the future, it will be hard to sell and you won't be able to get full coverage on it but that's the price you pay when you're paying way below KBB value for the car.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sigh, never buy a salvaged car.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I personally wouldn't touch one..especially for decent cash like you are talking about. But for you and your passengers sake, make sure all the warning lights...especially the airbag light light up and then go off. Many will not replace airbags or fix abs, etc and just disconnect the lights. You find out the hard way. But again...I wouldn't touch a salvage title. A car that expensive most likely has/frame damage to get totaled.

12. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

Trying to save 5k on a salvaged vehicle is the wrong way to go.

First - make sure you get it thoroughly inspected. Second, drive the damn thing. I grew up driving in the 'Lief driving a ghetto maxima with a salvage title - and let me tell you, the alignment was waaayyy off. I had to put pressure on the wheel to make sure it went straight.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Dude I didn't think a dealership could sell a salvaged title car.

I thought it was only auctions and private sellers.

14. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Why not? I've purchased two salvage titled cars so far and they were great. They were older cars (90s) but I was still able to sell them when I didn't want them anymore. Just be a smart consumer and check the car out thoroughly. Test drive it hard and make sure it drives like a car should drive.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

^^Agreed. You'd be surprised how easy it is for insurance companies to write a car off as a salvage. I've seen many many cars with salvaged titles that had very minor damage away from the engine and frame. In this case though, you have to be careful because it appears it did have significant damage.

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

17K for an infiniti g37 that had two major wrecks?

not worth it man. i was thinking 5-10K at the most.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tell us about the insurance on those salvage vehicles and please be honest in your response.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

If you're going to spend $17k get yourself a nice used Acura TL.

My former roommate specialized in buying salvage cars from auction. Deployed airbags or multiple accidents are always red flags/no-gos.

Just forget about it.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Don't do it. There are no qualifiers. Don't do it.